• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Millitary records look up pleeeeeease......

changinman1

master brummie
:)Hi I am trying to find out anything possible about my Grandads involvement in both the first and second world wars as I believe he was involved in both in some capacity . He was discharged on 24.10.1919 and as I said was involved also in the second ww and his name is Charles Henry Field born in Birmingham in 1900.

The second part is his brother Frederick Field who as legend has it fought in the first ww but died of flu.....anything on him , any bit of info would be brilliant as this is all I have on either of them....thanks in advance everyone.[/QUOTE]

Hello. Can you give some idea of where their home address would have been, in 1918/1919. There are a few Frederick Field's on the Absent Voters lists, and a Frederick Field at Malvern Place, Beach St, Birmingham is in the military records on "Ancestry".

Barrie.

Hello. Can you give some idea of where their home address would have been, in 1918/1919. There are a few Frederick Field's on the Absent Voters lists, and a Frederick Field at Malvern Place, Beach St, Birmingham is in the military records on "Ancestry".

Barrie.
Hi Barrie.....try Bagot Street , Birmingham. I know that Frederick died in 1918 ..spanish flu , but it is Charles my grandad that I am more interested in . Charles Henry Field.....cheers.

No one in Bagot St.

There is a Charles Henry Field in the Warwicks at 1 Hawthorne Place, Wheeler St.

Barrie.

Have looked at his medal card;

He received the Victory Medal and the British Medal, but did not receive either of the Stars, so probably did not serve in France.

He had 3 service numbers during his service;

4972 R.War R.

27708 R.War.R

204762 Glouc's Regt.

Barrie

Do you know if Charles Henry was born 13 Nov 1900?

Barrie.

Yes Barrie....that is his birthday...can you just re-itterate the data based on the fact that I have just confirmed his birthday......I am very excited now.....cheers Karl Field:)

'so probably did not serve in France' does not follow. Anyone with a VM and a Bm could have served abroad after January 1916. You did not have to have a 14 Star or a 14/15 Star! More pertinent did the MIC have anything about date of entry to theatre.

Have looked at his medal card;

He received the Victory Medal and the British Medal, but did not receive either of the Stars, so probably did not serve in France.

Barrie

Due to copyright restrictions, we are not allowed to post images from other sites in this forum.

I have found his Attesting Certificate dated 11/4/1921. He joined the 8th Bn R.W.R. He gives his trade as acetylene welder and his D.O.B. as 13/11/00

He states on the certificate that he has seen previous service in what looks llike the R.A.F. and that his service number was 261954.

He states that he is not married.

Hope this helps.

Barrie.

'so probably did not serve in France' does not follow. Anyone with a VM and a Bm could have served abroad after January 1916. You did not have to have a 14 Star or a 14/15 Star! More pertinent did the MIC have anything about date of entry to theatre.

It looks like that might have been the wrong bloke anyway. Having found his attestation Certificate with the correct name and D.O.B. on it, it seems his previous service may have been with the RAF.

Barrie.

Barrie, so I think he was an aero rigger in the 2nd ww, Barrie I am really grateful for all of this research that you have done, ...can you confirm everything on a reply please.

ps- he was a sheet metal worker by trade and worked for the BSA after the 2nd war, I dont think he did all of the 2nd ww because I know that he left half way thru the 2nd ww and worked at castle brom on spitfire construction due to his meatal working skills.

Think we are at cross purposes here. The reference on his attestation certificate is for RAF service prior to 1921, not for WWII.

I'm sorry I have no access to RAF records, so cannot tell you when he joined the RAF prior to 1921.

Barrie.

None at all I'm sorry. You will have to contact the Veterans Agency and ask their advice.

Barrie

As it says, it is dated 1921 when he joined the Royal Warwicks 8th Bn. He states that he has seen previous service with the RAF, which would have been during WWI.

Barrie

Back