• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Miller craddock aston villa 1948-1951

HATELEY

master brummie
Ladies and Gentlemen. I am tracing the sporting history of the above player. Very popular with the fans for his all out effort in every game he tragically had to give up the game with a serious heart condition when at the peak of his powers. Miller passed on in 1960 at the age of 33.

You would now have to be in your mid seventies (or older) to have seen him play. Is there a grandad in your family who attended Villa Park in 1949/1950?

I would very much like to hear what memories they can recall about this enthusiastic and dedicated sportsman

I saw Miller Craddick play several times (and as a budding sports journalist,now aged 81,) talked to him more than once. Would be happy to help a little if I can...

I saw Miller Craddick play several times (and as a budding sports journalist,now aged 81,) talked to him more than once. Would be happy to help a little if I can...

Well Shawcross that is very good of you. I am doing my research at this present time. If you would be good enough to mail me at [email protected] with anything you recall about Miller
such as his performance on the field, whether he was a pleasant lad to interview etc etc I would be most grateful.

Shawcross It would appear there is a problem with your mail account. I have tried to contact you three times but the mail program rejects it. Any ideas?

Hi Hateley! I well remember Miller Craddock. He burst onto the Villa scene when the team was somewhat bland - to say the least. He had great energy and was a real grafter. He gave hope to Villa fans that they had found a future England forward. So much so that even today, I can see that blonde mop of hair rising up above defenses. Perhaps his great energy on the field led to his early death - something less likely to happen today what with the closer monitoring of a player's health and better fitness regimes. If my aged memory serves me correct, he also played for Hereford Town F.C. Miller was a hero of mine. R.I.P. Regards to all who remember him. willey

Hi Hateley! I well remember Miller Craddock. He burst onto the Villa scene when the team was somewhat bland - to say the least. He had great energy and was a real grafter. He gave hope to Villa fans that they had found a future England forward. So much so that even today, I can see that blonde mop of hair rising up above defenses. Perhaps his great energy on the field led to his early death - something less likely to happen today what with the closer monitoring of a player's health and better fitness regimes. If my aged memory serves me correct, he also played for Hereford Town F.C. Miller was a hero of mine. R.I.P. Regards to all who remember him. willey

Thanks Willey. Excellent contribution re Miller. It was unfortunate that he had to contend with the great Trevor Ford at centre forward. Trefor (His real Welsh name) was worth a lot of money to the Villa Directors and therefore got preference in selection. I intend to produce a booklet about Miller later this year so I would be grateful if you could contact me on the email
address above. Anything you can remember about the Villa around 1950 would be most helpful.

I have obtained a Villa Supporters Club Card from 1956. The club was operated from a pub called 'The Guild ' in Witton Road/Lane. Was anyone a member and can advise me how it was run?

The card shows George Edwards as President. George was later a newsagent after he retired from Villa

Hi Hateley: If no one has any info on the Villa Supporters Club meetings that were held at The Guild on the corner of Ettington and Witton Roads, John Lerwill has and excellent Aston Villa history site and you can certainly contact him on his "Ask John" link. https://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/astonvilla/

Hi Hateley: If no one has any info on the Villa Supporters Club meetings that were held at The Guild on the corner of Ettington and Witton Roads, John Lerwill has and excellent Aston Villa history site and you can certainly contact him on his "Ask John" link. https://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/astonvilla/

Thanks for that jennyann. John Lerwill's site is known to me but would not have this kind of information I am afraid.

Yes many times as I am 80 this year,he also played with Trever Ford.
Nice to talk to you keep in touch.

I have visited my cousin last week to see if he has any info on Miller Craddock and with all his memorabilia he has he only has a book with a little info in which only gave info as to the amount of games played etc. The booklet is Who's Who by Tony Matthews dated 1989. My cousin is now aged 89 and has bought a programme to every game he has been to - this apart from all other stuff he has.

Just saw the Villians lose SIX NIL!!!! What a disgrace for a team that was so rich in tradition, One that I supported for years. Sad Sad day. The fans must be devastated they should boycott Villa Park and the team. John Crump Parker,Colorado USA

Just saw the Villians lose SIX NIL!!!! What a disgrace for a team that was so rich in tradition, One that I supported for years. Sad Sad day. The fans must be devastated they should boycott Villa Park and the team. John Crump Parker,Colorado USA

The way they`re playing they may end up in league division 2 in which case they`ll be playing my local team hartlepool :-{

Just acquired a number of artefacts relating to Miller Craddock, its an incredible story, and very sad too. He was born in Ledbury, and played for Newport County, and Hereford. He was in the Newport team that once lost 13-0 to Newcastle. He impressed in his trial game " probables v possibles" scoring twice. He came to prominence in a Villa tour of Ireland , but his Debut for Villa was against Middlesborough in december 1948. He retired due to a heart condition which meant he could no longer walk 100 yards without stopping twice, this from a man who once ran the distance in 10 seconds. Miller died in 1960 at the age of 33. Attached below a nice cartoon from the sports Argus
In articles he was described in a variety of ways," a long haired pint sized imp" and the " human bulldozer" in another. His best game for Villa was apparently in a 3-1 win over Sunderland. He appears to have been quick, athletic, and a bustling type of forward. If his own story wasnt sad enough, his brother Clive ( who also played for Hereford and worcester) also died young in a motor cycle accident in 1957.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 19
Back