• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Millbank Prison London

W

Wendy

I have just watched a programme about Millbank Prison in London. It was sited on the Thames were the Tate Gallery is now. It was quite fascinating how prisoners were treated in the 1830's. Mainly isolation. The programme for me was even more fascinating as I found a relative there in the 1841 census. He was awaiting transportation to Australia.

Wendy,
Although the conditions of the prisoners of that time,was bad,I think there were some decent people who tried to reform them.Perhaps the authorities of today could learn something from it,what they do now is lock them in an overcrowded cage,and feed them drugs to keep them quiet.They go in healthy young people and come out drug addicts.

Oh,I hope your ancestor,did his term and settled to a happy life in Australia.He or she probably only stole a loaf of bread to feed his family.

Ray thanks, I have to try and research this as my family bible says Isacc Jennings drowned at sea. There is no other information. I now wonder if he drowned as I thought prisoners would have been shackled. Maybe the ship went down.I have contacted Leicester Records office and they don't have the trial records for 1840, he lived in Lutterworth at the time. I will have to check and see if they are at Kew. I am not getting on well with this one!:(

King Island (Tasmania) 1835, Neva , convict ship 327 tons, 225 lives lost. 1840, Isabella, full-rigged ship 287 tons, no lives lost. rigged ship 802 tons, 400 lives lost. ...
Wendy,
This could be the ship in which your ancestor lost his life.
Shall check for more.

All I know Ray is that he was in Millbank Prison on the 1841 census awaiting transportation to Australia. I wonder how long they waited before going.

Forget the last post Wendy,they were all female convicts with children.
Oh, the horror of it.

Wow brilliant thanks Ray I must dash now off to Key Hill will look at this later.!!

Back