• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Milk

Question: does Milk Street have any connection with milk ? How did it get it’s name ? In the past was it dairy grazing land ? Was it traditionally where milk was processed ? Was it a dairy farming area perhaps ?

Phyllis Nicklin photographed it in mid-1953 showing the junction with Little Ann Street (left) but she left no clues about its history. There seems to be little written about it. Viv.

View attachment 170740
Thanks for that photo. That shop is a big part of my childhood. Phyllis Nicklin will have been standing at the end of Barn Street. I used to go there and get a frozen Jubbly. When I was old enough I was allowed to go on my own. To stay on topic, the connection with milk is that I also used to go there to get to get a bottle of Camp Coffee for Dad, who then made a cup of coffee with milk in it.
Andrew.

My grandmother used to have yorkshires as a sweet. Never liked them until I experienced them as a savoury item
Apparently my wife's family had Yorkshire pudding as a starter served with Raspberry Vinegar, whatever that was! She says it tasted a bit sweet and a bit sour! The family came from Mansfield, Chesterfield area. She wonders if anyone else had heard of this.
Our brummie family always had it with the main meal and drowned in gravy.:yum:yum:yum

Apparently my wife's family had Yorkshire pudding as a starter served with Raspberry Vinegar, whatever that was! She says it tasted a bit sweet and a bit sour! The family came from Mansfield, Chesterfield area. She wonders if anyone else had heard of this.
Our brummie family always had it with the main meal and drowned in gravy.:yum:yum:yum
Raspberry Vinegar is one of those old-fashioned remedies and cure all’s, to settle your stomach. My granddad used to make it. I think its just raspberry’s steeped in vinegar and sugar. Its may have had some benefit as it seems to be a pro-biotic that are all the rage now.

On the Yorkshire pudding front, being married to a Yorkshire wench, I had to be a great Yorkshire pudding maker, failure was not an option.

they will come in handy when we are out in the field to have brew up on me tommy cooker i had forgot about them.:grinning:

yer :grinning:

1692255986220.png

see also

Attachments

• tommy.jpg
    tommy.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
yer :grinning:

View attachment 183271

see also
Thanks for that.
However that is not the Tommy cooker that I knew.
The military one was a flat metal box affair containing eight hexamine blocks.
Very efficient at warming rations and boiling water but left a thick coat of black tarry stuff on the mess tin.
Happy days.

NoddKD the messy cook.

Back