• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Military Uniform help pre WW1

I've just trawled-through about thirty newspaper reports and am suffering PRINT fatigue! The various press accounts differ wildly, as they still do today, so nothing new there etc.

So far I've ascertained, that Uncle Tom was on a 'working holiday' with his brother, although the brother had left a few months earlier. He had been working as the Head Waiter of the Criterion Hotel, Dunedin (his body was identified by the proprietor, a Mr. William Thompson) and had now secured a new job at the Dunedin-Line Shipping Company. According to his friends, he said he ''would run down by steamer the Bluff, and then come back over-land to Dunedin, before settling down to his new work'' ... it was a ''mere pleasure trip'' says the article.

It all fits; in fact it fits better than the 'family story' - because his brother-in-law, and family, ran the Dunedin-Line Company; which males perfect sense. However, there are still many aspects that I have to separate the facts from the fantasy.

I was gobb-smacked by the brutal nature of some of the newspaper reporting; for example:

''Several bodies were yesterday seen, one being that of a large, powerfully-built man, with red-whiskers, having-on only his drawers, which were dangling from his feet'' !!!!

Imagine some poor, desolate relative reading that!

There were other, too graphic references, to the actual injuries, and condition of the bodies ... one refered to a young lady who had been shed of her skin, having been tumbled back and forth, by the breakers, over the reef and rocks!

Standard dress of the late 19th C, jacket scarlet white seam on front, white leather belt, pants black red line on seam, shako {hat} white hackel denotes Fusilier regt, collars and cuffs green infill gold banding buttons in line for line regt no swagger stick so maybe colonial regt.

Standard dress of the late 19th C, jacket scarlet white seam on front, white leather belt, pants black red line on seam, shako {hat} white hackel denotes Fusilier regt, collars and cuffs green infill gold banding buttons in line for line regt no swagger stick so maybe colonial regt.

Thanks Paul ...how late is ''late 19th,C'' ? I reckon the photo was taken around the late 1860's-to-1871-ish, as I have a pic of him looking about ten years older, taken shortly before his death in 1881. Do those dates fit the uniform???

johnO. mid 1860's -1880's, remember Zulu (1870's), they gradually stopped using the scarlet except for ceremonials about the turn of the 20thC and by 1910 the full Karkhi was established.
paul

Cheers Paul
icon14.gif

Found this in a New Zealand newspaper; taken a few months before G.G.Uncle Tom's death in the ship-wreck.

:( It printed-out a lot better than it scanned; sort of reverse the normal result. I'll have another bash later.

I think it was the Boer War that put an end to fighting in scarlet tunics, I have a collection of old uniforms but was prevented from showing them on the forum because
they did not relate to Birmingham, am on too many yellow cards already, Bernard

Back