• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Military money

military money

hi ragga in 1956 i was a reservist recalled for the suez crisis having flown to cyprus we had to exchange our money for "naafi"money no sooner we had our "naafi"money we had to queue up and change it back to pounds as we were about to embark on the "empire ken"troopship for "port said"
the money was very simular to monopoly money hope this answers your
query
33bus tom:)

The third example in ragga's first post has to be fairly recent as it's in New Pence.

Cheers Brummie Nick , 33bus and Oisin for answering my query ,
I have spent many hours listening to folk about the war years
and there National service days, but i just cant remember once
being told anything about military currancy.
thanking you ....... ragga:)

ragga,
While it satisfied your curiosity, it's inflamed mine: If it was issued in New Pence it would suggest military money was still in use decades after National Service ended... Curiouser and curiouser! ???

We were issued with BAFFS in Berlin in 1972/4. I can't remember if we used local currancy in Cyprus in the 60's. I will ask Brian what he knows about 'funny money' as we used to call it.:)

Sorry, but we can neither of us remember the reason the armed forces used BAFS - British Armed Forces Script. In Berlin we were in a unique situation one of the four occupying powers, and we could all shop in the others equivelent of our NAFFI. We used their currency to do that, but when we shopped in our own NAFFI we used BAFS. Who says it was crazy............ We were forever changing money, the Americans sold the cheapest gin, and their bed linen was wonderful I have some still 35 years on, I also bought our silver cutlery in their PX. The French didn't sell anything that drew us there, but their Mess was first class for an evening out. The Russians sent us food parcels and they had to go into the bin - eggs which were high when cracked, meat that was rancid and vegetables that were just awful, but by sending the food they were participating in our agreement and they could then shop in our NAFFI, the American PX and whatever the French called their shop.:rolleyes:

Back