• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Military hospitals in Birmingham WW1

My grandfather was invalided out of the army after being wounded at the Somme. He had part of his right hand shot away, so he could no longer fire his rifle. The army sent him back to UK after being first treated in a field hospital. I know this from his war record. However, I have been unable to find out which hospital he was sent to. His regiment was the Gloucestershire, but he, like many others, arrived on a casualty train and was just sent to whatever part of the country had empty beds. He landed up in Birmingham, and when he left hospital he decided to remain there. He met his future wife, and they were married in 1920 in St Andrew's church, near to where the football ground is now.

Thanks for your replies, they are very interesting and makes me realise even more what these chaps went through during WWI, and WWII for that matter and indeed any war!

What I find difficult to understand is that he first attested into the army Militia on 21 Feb 1890 and did Annual Training in 1890 and 1891. On the 5th August 1891he is attested on a Short Service Attestation and discharged on 4th September 1891 and on payment of £10 within 3 months of attestation to come out of the army. Then it appears he attested: 10th November 1914 (and received £5 for rejoining?) and was discharged 14th December 1918. All service was in the North Staffordshire Regiment. I cannot find a service record for this last period of service but guess he would have been 43. Would he have been sent abroad? His pension says Bronchitis.

Edwin Charles Cartledge? There is a MRIC appears to list him in the 3rd Battalion which Wikipedia says was a training battalion based in the UK throughout the war.

(if not ignore)

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Spot on. How did you find that out so quickly :)

You gave just enough clues.

MRIC is a medal roll index card, there should be one for every soldier. Most just give details of the medals a soldier is entitled to but sometimes there's a little more info.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
“Rubery Hill was occupied by the War Office till 1919. The hospital was adapted and equipped for the sick and wounded soldiers. This cards message of June 29th 1916 reads. "I have been outside this afternoon. Have got the bandages off at last."

From A Postcard from the Lickeys (published 1989)

9324D1FE-B642-4E17-A127-BFE2D2CFE031.jpeg

“Much reconstruction work took place after the war. New buildings were added, including a Male Nurses home, which later became the Nurse Training Centre. The War Office paid £25000 and the city authorities spent a further £60000 to bring the hospital up to standard. Very little work had been done during the War as there was a shortage of labour.”

From A Postcard from the Lickeys (published 1989)

9CF7B50E-7A10-42A1-BD15-3833D9EE51D8.jpeg

Back