• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Military Badges and Sweetheart Brooches

If it is enameled it was very likely given to a wife or sweetheart (but he could have done it himself) the only time a cap badge was painted was in the Great War and they were painted Matt black to avoid reflection
A few years ago my son Pete picked a cap badge to the Kings Liverpool
Regiment up on the Somme which was black enameled, quite a rare item

The enameling is very well done, but that of course doesn't mean he didn't do it himself. The rest of the badge is as you would expect very dark, almost black, I wouldn't say it was painted though. It could be tarnishing, but the badge lay undisturbed in his wallet from 1934 until 2001.

I know this isn't a broach but it's what uncle Arthur brought home from Jerusalem of Davids Towerl for his mom Pem. She gave it me just before she died. Jean.

Hi Cromwell,
What a great collection of sweetheart badges. Thanks for sharing it with
us.
George

I had forgotten what a wonderful thread this was so many lovely brooches and badges. Thanks for sharing the photo's with us.

Tried again by clicking "insert image" icon then uploading but this does not seem to work. Will keep trying. Saved as web image to reduce size. Hows this
View attachment 46695Doug

Doug thank you. I love these brooches although sadly I don't own any. They have some die's for these at the Jewellery Quarter Museum they are beautiful. The guide told us they often feature swallows, this is because they return home.......very moving I thought!

Hi White 3012, I know you posted this several years ago but I'm hoping you might still get this reply. I'm researching sweetheart brooches for my Art History PhD and I'm specially interested in any brooches that can be connected to people who owned them as these are much more rare. Would you be prepared to tell me about your Great Great Uncle? I can give you my email if you prefer. Many thanks!

Hi, I know you posted this several years ago but I'm hoping you might still get this reply. I'm researching sweetheart brooches for my Art History PhD and I'm specially interested in any brooches that can be connected to people who owned them as these are much more rare. Would you be prepared to tell me about your Great Great Uncle? I can give you my email if you prefer. Many thanks!

Back