• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mike G's memorial day

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
For those of you who did not know dear mike he was a long standing member of this forum and also a tireless moderator...many words spring to mind to discribe mike..kind..honest..sincere..funny..dedicated..in sept 2010 along with other members mike attended my steves funeral at sutton crem to give me support..this kindness is something i will never ever forget but little did i know that almost a year to the day i would be back at sutton giving support to mikes lovely wife maureen and family....i visited mike a couple of times at his home and although so very poorly he still insisted on having his pc set up next to his bed and continued moderating this forum until he could no longer..thats dedication and a refusal to give in..his smiling beaming face is also missed at our meet ups of which he attended most..mike was everyones friend..how could he not be....im sure that anyone whos lives were touched by having the privilage of knowing mike will still be missing him greatly..i know i do but lets not be too sad as mike would not want that.. finally to maureen and the family if you read this thread i am thinking of you all today...

God bless you mike..

Lyn xx

Last edited:
Re: Mike gee.s memorial day

It was a pleasure and a honour to call Mike my friend.
Meets are not the same without him. I dearly miss you mate.

Good morning lynn and frothie and all members
firstly lynn it was very nicely put out to our members and myself ;whom will read your thread and also frothie for is input about mike
and his emediately family ; mike did do alot of work for us all and i think we should never for get him ; as a true grit guy and alas spoke his mind and gave us
all alot o his vauled tim and also valued imormaton and h as vry fare with his decisions on the out put we all gave out on this forum ;
even some of the old and lost members of this forum we had dd disagr ith some of his discisons asto put or not put on the forum ;
i myself never met mike personaly but did speak back and forth on the forum many time ;
i will alway remember mike and his family ;i will never forget him ; and plus the added fact i will not forget him for the simplicity of
that i have a forum members badge and key ring that i wear with pride and use on my key ring ;as well
because out of the blue mike sent me two badges and two key rings with out request a long time before he died and that every time i used my keys
i see my astonian key ring in my hand and think yes ; thats mike i am very happy to see that other member have not for gotten a true grit forum member
whom we sadly lost and my thoughts will be for maureen and his family today ; and i sincerely hope other members wiil make a contibute of respect by putting a message of rememberrance for mike ;
best wishes to one and all astonian ;;

I never met Mike but we' talked' by email, he had known my late father and made me feel so proud when he told me that it was a privilege to have known such a nice man, and that is exactly how I feel about our Mike.

God bless you Mike. Alberta.

What can you say, Mike was a true gentleman who I am proud to say was a dear friend. I first met Mike in 2004 at a meeting of moderators for the forum. He was so enthusiastic and always coming up with ideas and then producing them, like badges, drinks coasters etc. Maureen always came along with Mike to the meets, even when he became ill he still managed to attend. He was a great support to me always ready with advise. He was a very valued member of the forum, which showed with the amount of members who attended his funeral..I miss him every time I log on and thats daily.
Bless you Mike, Wendy.

A year has passed since we said goodbye to Mike Guest, my right hand man and a great friend to have. Whenever there was a problem on the site that caused me concern, I would phone Mike and chat things over and we would work out a solution.
I miss this man so much and I am so glad he came into my life.
Mike, you were a true friend and you are missed by so many.
God bless , old chap, thank you lots.

Last edited:
Mike maybe gone, but he is not forgotten. His spirit lives on in the Forum.
Sadly missed.
Ian.

I didnt have the pleasure of knowing Mike but from all the replies it sounds like he was a really lovely man.
My condolences to Mikes family and all his many many friends.

I met Mike on quite a few occasions and found him to be a lovely person and a pleasure to be with. My condolences to the family. Chris

I am so glad that we are remembering Mike today. All of the words written in these threads soundly describe who Mike was and I can add
my thoughts today as we remember Mike. I met Mike only once whilst on a visit to Brum at a meetup we had. On introduction to he
and his wife, Maureen, Mike, came forward and presented me with a package containing a Forum, Badge and Coaster. We had a chat and he told me that he
almost came to Vancouver many years ago as a swimming referee at the Commonwealth Games. It didn't work out sadly.
I sent him a book about Vancouver when I came back home. The coaster sits on my bedside table and I use it all the time.
Mike is so missed on the Forum and I will never forget him. Thinking of Maureen and Mike's family today.

Sad to think that its a year already. My thoughts are with Mikes wife & family. God bless you Mike.

I had the fortune to meet Mike when quite unexpectedly one Sunday morning our bell rang and there was Mike standing there as large as life. He had taken the trouble to deliver my forum badge in person as a couple had gone astray in the post. How many people would have taken the trouble to do that?. The second meeting was when the phone rang and it was Mike on the other end and he asked if we would be in as he was in the area and would bring round a book I had won in a forum auction. Mike by the way had donated it. I will never forget that sad day when Mike's little green light went out. Will never forget you either Mike.G. Jean.

Mike was one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. A true gentleman. I have some very fond memories of him at the Drayton Bassett Village Fete. Mabz

I only met Mike once at one of our meets, cannot remember which one but it was the last one he attended. I had painted a portrait of Edith Piaf and Mike wanted it for his mums birthday (apparently her favourite singer, and mine), so I framed it and took it to the meet and chatted to Mike he seemed such a friendly and kind person, funnily enough he won the raffle and gained another of my paintings, I was so pleased for him, not realising that would be the last time I would see him. God Bless. Eric

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike and Maureen at one of the forum meets. not long after I joined the forum, a lovely, charming man, whose input on the forum and knowledge was phenomenal.
It doesn't seem a year since he left us, and will be remembered on the forum.
Thoughts to Maureen and the family too.
Sue

You are so greatly missed Mike, what I would'nt give to sit with you and Maureen again, and have more of the great banter we used to have at meets.
Our best wishes to you Maureen, and family.
Sylvia and Brian

I met Mike and his wife Maureen on a number of Forum meets, as everyone has posted he was a lovely genuine man and despite his ill health did so much for the Forum. You are sadly missed Mike.

I have just spoken to Maureen and told her of the posts made here in Mike's memory, she felt very emotional and extremely touched that even after 12 months there are members of the forum who still remember him with such affection, she has asked me to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, she is well but misses Mike terribly.

Colin

thanks for letting us all know that mo is doing ok colin..hopefully she may feel up to joining us at at one of our meet ups in the near future as she knows she will be amongst friends...

cheers col

lyn

Back