• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midlands Trade Directory

Ron Rogers

master brummie
Not sure if this is the right place for this enquirery ,hope it is.
In the 1841 census William Rogers aged 40 (bn 1801?) has his occupation as builder and is living at Brewery Lane Deritend, his family ??? Elizabeth (30),William(1),Caroline (7),Emily (6) ,Thomas (15),Elizabeth (12).

Question 1...Could some please look up the Trade directory and see if William is listed and if so what information it has for him??

in the 1851 census there is a Charles Rogers 52 (bn 1799? Sollihull) has his occupation as carpenter and is living at 103 Upper trinity Street Aston,his family Elizabeth (40) ,William (12) Caroline (17),Emily (16), Richard (9)(who is my GGGGrandfather).

Question 2....Could some one look up the Trade directory and see if Charles is listed and if so what information it has for him???

It also brings up the next question?? what is the connection between William and Charles ??? is this two families or a mixture of two??

Regards

Ron

horsencart

master brummie
This is from the 1848 directory 1848.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place for this enquirery ,hope it is.
In the 1841 census William Rogers aged 40 (bn 1801?) has his occupation as builder and is living at Brewery Lane Deritend, his family ??? Elizabeth (30),William(1),Caroline (7),Emily (6) ,Thomas (15),Elizabeth (12).

Question 1...Could some please look up the Trade directory and see if William is listed and if so what information it has for him??

in the 1851 census there is a Charles Rogers 52 (bn 1799? Sollihull) has his occupation as carpenter and is living at 103 Upper trinity Street Aston,his family Elizabeth (40) ,William (12) Caroline (17),Emily (16), Richard (9)(who is my GGGGrandfather).

Question 2....Could some one look up the Trade directory and see if Charles is listed and if so what information it has for him???

It also brings up the next question?? what is the connection between William and Charles ??? is this two families or a mixture of two??

Regards

Ron

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron
There is no William Rogers, builder (or any similar trade) listed in Brewery Lane or elsewhere in the 1841 Pigots directory. However at this time the survey for a directory might refer to a couple of years before the official publication date. I looked at the 1845 directory, and there was a William Rogers, carpenter listed at Brewery St (off Darwin St, which could be called Deritend). I could find no Brewery Lane listed in the 1841 ,and in the 1845 the only brewery Lane was off Warston lane on the other side of town. On checking enumeration district 14 in the 1841 census (which your entry is in), the road is listed as Brewery St , not lane, so I feel this may well be the right Rogers. On checking the 1849 directories there is no william rogers at that address, but is a cabinet maker in white swan yard and chair maker and caner in Masshouse lane ,

No charles Rogers in either the 1841 or 1845 directories

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forgot to add that Brewery st was the name for what was the "bent " bit of alcester st south of Moseley St

Ron Rogers

master brummie
Forgot to add that Brewery st was the name for what was the "bent " bit of alcester st south of Moseley St

Evening Mike,

Thanks for the info..William may have been a carpenter and misquoted himself as a builder in 1841 ,which in itself clears?????? up his occupation. Still leaves me with the question who is Charles ( could be that his name was William Charles rogers the name seems to run in the family (My late uncle 's name was Charles William rogers) as to the Brewery lane address i found a web site (WWW.British-history.ac.uk) which list midlands street and shows Brewery Lane has been renamed Redfield Lane ( i cant find Redfield lane either.

I will follow up on the chair makers and see where it gets me

Regards

Ron

I

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Ron
I'm afraid the reference to Brewery Lane in WWW.British-history.ac.uk refers to a street in London (apparently Kensington), which explains why you can't find Redfield Lane. As i noted previously, the census enumerastion data for district 17 states that it covers Brewery St (not lane) and also Alcester St . A copy of it is below

1841dist_17__enum_district.jpg

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
I think for whatever reason William & Charles are one.

1851 Charles/1861 William - 103 Upper Trinity St. Family names correspond and despite a transcription error the 1861 shows William a Carpenter as born Solihull.

Clarkie

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
Hi Ron,
Found him on Ancestry listed in the 1862 Business Directory of Birmingham
William Rogers listed under Carpenters & Joiners, 103 Upper Trinity St.

Very popular name in that period but could not find other entries before or after for William or Charles.

Clarkie

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron
The 1862 Corporation directory, which may have been compiled a year or so before the publication date, lists 103 Upper Trinity St as Mrs Elizabeth
Rogers.(no occupation , so probably just a home address)
Mike