• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red Bus Routes

May I add my congratulations on this posting, regarding the Midland ReD. As a conductor and then a driver, I enjoyed reading the old routes, and the pictures are quite spectacular. May I suggest that Wythall Museum of Buses would love to have these pictures and their stories in the Museum, and you should get in touch with them. On a personal basis, it took me back to when I was a young conductor, training at Sheepcote Street, training school, and then on to Sutton Garage, where was both a conductor and then a driver. Happy happy memories. Thank you so much. Gerry.

The route 105, which I believe followed the same route as the 114 through Falcon Lodge, always turned into Penns Lane from Walmley to Wylde Green but certainly in the late 60s early 70s, the early morning service terminated in Harman Road, Wylde Green via Orphanage Road. This wasn’t the original route which turned from Penns Lane directly onto the Birmingham Road at Wylde Green The normal route was from Penns Lane and then along the Birmingham Road from Wylde Green joining the 114 route from the Kingsbury Road. I remember the 105 being an infrequent service.

As I mentioned before, I was at Sutton garage as a driver in the seventies. the 105 was a listed turn. I remember doing that service on a scorching hot day in 1976, in a "D-9" the bus windows all open, my cab windows all open, including the big one over the engine, and it was so hot, with standing loads from Sutton to The Yenton every trip; not a cat in hells chance of keeping to time, every stop was made, and it was great to hand over at South Parade.....Happy days though, I loved my time with the "Midland ReD". Pictured the cab of a "D-9".

Attachments

• 3352583524_3107eaeafe_b.jpg
    3352583524_3107eaeafe_b.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 25
That cab is so primitive, how on earth did you manage a whole shift in it.
Yes, by later standards it was, but, back then the bus was up to date, with semi-auto box, 10 litre unit (Cummings) a decent brake system, and so easy to drive. I loved it, out of all the buses I had to drive, it was a wonderful piece of engineering.....Then, along came four Volvo Ailsa's from Oldbury garage, they were something else. turbo charged, 14 feet high ( D-9 was 12 feet high) and so comfortable. These came along AFTER the WMPTE take-over, so weren't really Midland ReD, but, we all still felt that we were, and always would be Midland ReD crews at Sutton. Here's me at the wheel of the Volvo....Corporation Street. .

Attachments

• 616538b1c8e062ae7cfc4d3d630da25a--volvo-trolley.jpg
    616538b1c8e062ae7cfc4d3d630da25a--volvo-trolley.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 18
As I mentioned before, I was at Sutton garage as a driver in the seventies. the 105 was a listed turn. I remember doing that service on a scorching hot day in 1976, in a "D-9" the bus windows all open, my cab windows all open, including the big one over the engine, and it was so hot, with standing loads from Sutton to The Yenton every trip; not a cat in hells chance of keeping to time, every stop was made, and it was great to hand over at South Parade.....Happy days though, I loved my time with the "Midland ReD". Pictured the cab of a "D-9".
Do you remember a conductor, Derek Brooks at Sutton garage?

Yes, by later standards it was, but, back then the bus was up to date, with semi-auto box, 10 litre unit (Cummings) a decent brake system, and so easy to drive. I loved it, out of all the buses I had to drive, it was a wonderful piece of engineering.....Then, along came four Volvo Ailsa's from Oldbury garage, they were something else. turbo charged, 14 feet high ( D-9 was 12 feet high) and so comfortable. These came along AFTER the WMPTE take-over, so weren't really Midland ReD, but, we all still felt that we were, and always would be Midland ReD crews at Sutton. Here's me at the wheel of the Volvo....Corporation Street. .
What was the route of the 42 from New Oscott to Erdington?
Bob

Anyone remember the Fishermen Special to Tewkesbury very early in the morning at week-ends from near New Street Station, fishing crealls pilled up along the centre of the bus, no health & safety in those days. Many a tall tale told on the way back.

What was the route of the 42 from New Oscott to Erdington?
Bob
College Road by the Monastry, down the road past the Crossways, left at the island toward Six Ways Erdington, and that was the terminus, then round the island, and back down the road to the island, right past the old cinema, and up to the top by the monastry. Short & sweet. The 42E was something else............

College Road by the Monastry, down the road past the Crossways, left at the island toward Six Ways Erdington, and that was the terminus, then round the island, and back down the road to the island, right past the old cinema, and up to the top by the monastry. Short & sweet. The 42E was something else............

I'm confused by those directions. Coming from town, by the time the 42 reached St. Mary's College (a seminary rather than a monastery) it would have already passed the Crossways pub. After WMPTE extended the route from the top of Collage Road to Six Ways, the bus turned right onto the Chester Road (where the 107 (to Sutton) and 113 (to Streetly) turned left) and headed into Erdington. I can't help with the route as I always got off at the college and, as this is the Midland Red forum perhaps we shouldn't be talking about what was a corporation bus route!

I'm confused by those directions. Coming from town, by the time the 42 reached St. Mary's College (a seminary rather than a monastery) it would have already passed the Crossways pub. After WMPTE extended the route from the top of Collage Road to Six Ways, the bus turned right onto the Chester Road (where the 107 (to Sutton) and 113 (to Streetly) turned left) and headed into Erdington. I can't help with the route as I always got off at the college and, as this is the Midland Red forum perhaps we shouldn't be talking about what was a corporation bus rout

I'm confused by those directions. Coming from town, by the time the 42 reached St. Mary's College (a seminary rather than a monastery) it would have already passed the Crossways pub. After WMPTE extended the route from the top of Collage Road to Six Ways, the bus turned right onto the Chester Road (where the 107 (to Sutton) and 113 (to Streetly) turned left) and headed into Erdington. I can't help with the route as I always got off at the college and, as this is the Midland Red forum perhaps we shouldn't be talking about what was a corporation bus route!
Ok, here we are back in the seventies. The days when the 42 traveled along College Road, Erdington bound, from the the top of College Road ( by the Seminary.....) As we travel, over on the right across the duel carriageway, was The Mayfair Cinema. We carry on until the Ridgeway, where we take a left. straight on, joining Marsh Hill, which back then became Resevoir Road, and the terminus. Hope this is a bit clearer. The terminus was Six Ways Erdington. Thanks.

I was brought up in Sutton and attended Town School, right by all the bus stops, from 1957 to 1963. In those days they were:

100 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - White Farm Road
101 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly
102 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Hill Hook Road
103 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Roughley
104 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Little Aston - Brownhills - Cannock
105 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Reddicap Heath - Good Hope - Sutton
(rush hours only, in between it only ran Chester Road to Sutton as S65)
107 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Boldmere (Park Hotel) - Sutton
108 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton (rush hours only)
110 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Good Hope - Whitehouse Common - Tamworth
111 At some point in the 1960s, there was a reorganisation, and the 111 was created from the 101 (above) and the S62. It ran: Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Streetly - Banners Gate - New Oscott - Boldmere - Sutton
112 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Lichfield - Burton on Trent
113 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Parson and Clerk - Hardwick Arms
114 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Pype Hayes - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Falcon Lodge - Good Hope - Sutton
115 Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
116 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Tyburn - Minworth - Curdworth - Kingsbury - Fazeley - Tamworth
117 Sutton - Boldmere - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
118 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - Great Barr (Scott Arms) - Walsall

I think one of the vacant numbers 109 and 119, can't remember which, was used for services to Canwell for the Canwell Show. Then of course there were all the Sutton local services with numbers from S58 to S76.

Think that's right, I'm open to correction.

I was brought up in Sutton and attended Town School, right by all the bus stops, from 1957 to 1963. In those days they were:

100 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - White Farm Road
101 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly
102 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Hill Hook Road
104 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Little Aston - Brownhills - Cannock
105 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Reddicap Heath - Good Hope - Sutton
107 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Boldmere (Park Hotel) - Sutton
110 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Good Hope - Whitehouse Common - Tamworth
111 At some point in the 1960s, there was a reorganisation, and the 111 was created from the 101 (above) and the S62. It ran: Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Streetly - Banners Gate - New Oscott - Boldmere - Sutton
112 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Lichfield - Burton on Trent
113 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Parson and Clerk - Hardwick Arms
114 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Pype Hayes - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Falcon Lodge - Good Hope - Sutton
115 Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
116 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Tyburn - Minworth - Curdworth - Kingsbury - Fazeley - Tamworth
117 Sutton - Boldmere - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
118 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - Great Barr (Scott Arms) - Walsall

I think one of the vacant numbers 109 and 119, can't remember which, was used for services to Canwell for the Canwell Show. Then of course there were all the Sutton local services with numbers from S58 to S76.

Excellent, thank you. I worked all of these. My wife went to school.

Excellent, thank you. I worked all of these. My wife went to school.
Hi, Gerry here. Just a few points. As I said I worked all of the above EXCEPT the Cannock service, that you have as a 104. This was not worked by me during my first job at Sutton, 1957 to 1959. The other service that I did work was the 119, Birmingham, Perry Barr, Great Barr (Scott Arms) and the X-12, Birmingham Main Road via Sutton & Lichfield and Burton-On-Trent to Derby. Thank you so much for this. Gerry.

The X99, was operated by Tamworth garage. I do not remember it running through Sutton, I think it ran Birmingham/Tamworth/Ashby/Nottingham.
Have just dug out my 1964 timetable book. The X99 and the 110 went the same route from Birmingham to Tamworth via Sutton with the X99 continuing on to Nottingham. I did that journey once with a five shilling Child's Anywhere Ticket in the days when I travelled all over the Midlands by Midland Red. Amazing number of different bus companies in those days in Nottingham.

Thank you for this,109 was Birmingham, new oscott terminating at Boldmêre, been trying to recall these routed and numbers for ages
Bob

Back