• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red at Digbeth

YEP!! great photo's, I don't know why but when young I always thought Midland Red as "posh", transport and some how more sophisticated than normal transport which of course they were.

paul

Certainly had better motors than we had at Stocklands, climbing Red Hill on the A38 coming back from South Devon they would always fly past us in our Bedford VAL's, mind you so did nearly everyone else.

..My overriding memory of Digbeth is of Sunday 29th August 1954,
the morning after our wedding when we caught the coach to St Ives
in Cornwall for our two weeks honeymoon.Cant quite remember but think the journey took ten hours. Bernardlong service dinner505.jpg

Lovely photo Bernard
thumb-1.jpg

Lovely looking lady mate and that look on your face says it all.
Right we better get back on thread.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Thanks Ragga for putting them on again, nice photos of the old garage, 5839 having a wash was a nice bus to drive and there is a Corgi model of it.

Mid. Red Shrewsbury.jpg
This is Midland Red at Shresbury, I have put it on this thread because as M.Mike and Lloyd both know, we used to drive the X96 (I think it was), limited stop to Shrewsbury from the Bull Ring Bus Station.

This is true Lloyd I was told the passengers would direct me if I was not sure of the route because I only did one trip route learning. A woman gave me directions and then got off, I asked others which way I should go and they did not know because the woman had taken me off route.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true Lloyd I was told the passengers would direct me if I was not sure of the route because I only did one trip route learning. A woman gave me directions and then got off, I asked others which way I should go and they did not know because the woman had takem off route.
Bit like doing your first School pickup, ask the little whatsits which way to go and you just new you were on a hiding to nothing.

Regarding passengers pointing out the correct road for drivers reminds me of a humorous event a few years ago.

Once a month, on a Sunday afternoon, a coach trip was made to visit a different church in the Diocese. The visit was to have a special service for that church and its parishioners. The coach always commenced its journey in South Devon. On a return trip from East Devon the coach had to travel through Exeter, the coach driver, he was a professional driver, got lost. Advice on which roads to take was given to the driver by a monk (he was the leader of the group); the curious parts about this is the apart from being a monk and not often leaving his monastery he was also a non driver!

Back