• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red at Digbeth

Another great photo of the "patch" Mike, I remember going on 3737 with my dad in 1954 to Nottingham,X99.We went to to a motorcycle dealers named Dawsons to buy an ex WD. BSA M20 each, £42 10s. each if I remember correctly, then later driving it on the Whythalls at Digbeth.

Thanks John,
Whilst 3737 soldiered on, the S6 was gone by the time of my next pic. Inside the garage now and in 1962 two brand spanking new Leyland LS18's 5195 and 5200 are seen prior to entering service as crew operated buses.

The LS 18 these were my favourite buses. Although 13 years old when i first drove them at Lea Hall on the Whyhall and Kings Heath routes. Then at Tamworth we still had two examples right up to i think 1979/80. If i remember rightly they were 5182 and 5183. They used to sound terrific thumping up Boo Hill on the Colliery service. I can remember even using one on a feeder sevice on pick ups for our Summer Saturday Paington service, when around 18 years old. On reflection i think 5233 was at Tamworth as well.

Last edited:
Another great photo, the LS18s were my favourite saloon, and for some reason 5200 was a particular favourite, so its nice to see it brand new. Thanks Mike. John.

Just turned up another pic of the SON on it's last night at Benacre Street. The driver with it is Harry Harvey, a cheeky Cockney who was a good mate of Reg Harding, in fact he put Reg up to many of the "japes" Reg got involved in. Harry had seen them done already on London Transport where he worked before the Red.
Before leaving Benacre Street, mentioning Reg reminds me of a morning I worked with him as his conductor. We decided to have a walk up town after he had parked our LD8 in Benacre yard so I would stay on instead of dropping off at Digbeth. Reg decided it would be a chuckle if I rode in the cab with him, so out of sight of the Bus Station where we finished service I climbed in to the cab with Reg and off we went. On the way, Reg spots coach driver George Dainter walking back to Digbeth "wave to George with both hands" says Reg, blows the horn to George and lets go of the steering wheel to wave with both hands as well. George's face was a picture as he sees four hands in the windscreen waving to him. Later when he saw Reg in the garage he says "Harding you'll get the blinking sack you will, who was that in the cab with you this morning?" Reg kept a straight face and said "You've been doing too much overtime lately George, imagining there was someone else in the cab with me - you need to ease up a bit pal". George went off mumbling to himself " I'm sure four hands waved to me, I must be cracking up". We never did tell him.

Special for you John and jfc here is 5200 post 1/1964 with me in charge on the "Track" at the old Hall Road terminus, Castle Bromwich and later same journey at Marston Green. Roger Benham was my conductor that day. 5200 was transferred to the PTE at Moseley Road in 1973 and on to Yardley Wood Garage in 1975. The 175 ran from Shirley Station to Castle Bromwich and for a while was extended through Castle Vale and Minworth to Sutton Coldfield. The service was already shared with Sutton Garage before the extension. Unlike the Dudley Road "Track" which got it's name as being a converted tram route, the 175 was our "Track" because it was always busy and short on running time and therefore a race track for drivers struggling to stay on time.

Two cracking photo,s Mike of 5200 on the "track" thanks very much, I have one at the same spot in Marston Green in 5474 an S17, I remember Roger Benham, nice lad, great memories. Cheers. John.

Many thanks ragga, stay tuned, there's more to come if you can stand it. My favourites were the dual purpose LS18A's with black roofs. Showboats de luxe with S15 style seating that was more comfortable than proper coach seats. Here is brand new 5177 in the garage prior to entering service. Our only other LS18A was 5175, pity we didn't have more.

I can find no online details, other than this reference in an enthusiast website:
"3 Aug: 80 years of Aldergate Depot, Tamworth. Open Day c/o Arriva Midlands. Stalls, free bus services, preserved Midland Red buses, proceeds to local charity."

I would guess it's from 11 to 5, most events are. Hopefully I'll be there as Wythall museum are sending a vehicle or two.

Just rang Tamworth Depot 80th aniversary tomorrow 10ish to 4ish. Stalls, old Midland Red vehicles, free trips around town. Arriva Aldergate Tamworth.

jfc,
Many don't know it yet but the BCT Standard 3225 will sneak into Tamworth for the celebration tomorrow. I know cos I'm driving it - there, the cat's out the bag now but if you are about look out for it and meself. If Wendy gets hold of this snippet she and her hubby are very welcome look it over and cab 3225 as are you and any other Forum folk around Tamworth. Just introduce yourselves and welcome.
Mike

As a contrast to all things Red on this thread here is BCT Standard 2707 in Coventry proving they did stray over the City boundary now and again.The Midland Red connection is that when outside the boundary on such trips there was always on display in the lower saloon nearside front window a paper sticker stating "On Hire to Midland Red" under some agreement with the Red. One of these stickers will also be displayed on 3225 when we arrive in Tamworth.

Many thanks ragga, stay tuned, there's more to come if you can stand it. My favourites were the dual purpose LS18A's with black roofs. Showboats de luxe with S15 style seating that was more comfortable than proper coach seats. Here is brand new 5177 in the garage prior to entering service. Our only other LS18A was 5175, pity we didn't have more.
Hi. Mike. Your memory is a lot better than mine, but didn,t we have 5185 at Digbeth also?.

John, we did have 5185 at Digbeth, but it wasn't a DP. Latest offering here is D5 3777 seen early on a Summer Saturday morning in 1964 parked out in Bradford Street. Overnight stay Black & White coaches were parked out as well to clear the garage. Interesting to see the old Fruit Market in the background.

Back