• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Midland Red at Digbeth

Many thanks for posting those Tardebigge. To really see a black topped S18A at it's best we need colour and here it is. 5192 seen loading on an early 1960's Bank Holiday Monday Tour in Edgbaston Street. The folks on this were lucky as on a busy Bank Holiday Monday any single deck available went on these tours which could be of all day or half day duration.

OK, here's one that has me puzzled. When did Midland Red buses go to Perry Barr? Maybe the driver made too many "thirst stops"... lol

More likely a loose blind, and the vibration has dropped the display by one. You can just see the top of 'BIRMINGHAM' under PERRY BARR if you enlarge the shot.
Perry Barr of course was a short working on the 118 Walsall service.

Is that the top of Coventry Road, Stratford Road junction? I'll bet it's inbound on a 154 (from Solihull via Blossomfield Road - we used to call journeys on that route "Blossoms"!)

On the Perry Barr topic, now that I've seen the pic of the FEDD with that destination on the blind I have recalled that it was used occasionally on the 118s. They used to turn on the empty land opposite the old Christchurch, later a timber merchants - in other words in front of what is now the Perry Barr One-stop. I don't think 107s, 109s or 113 were ever scheduled to turn at Perry Barr.
Peter

The FEDD photo is a candidate for Where is this? What is the location and if the bus is on a 118 why is it showing 153 which was a Digbeth route to Monkspath. Is it coming in from Monkspath with the blind set for a short working to Perry Barr and the route number yet to be changed? Could that be the Coventry Road coming in under the railway bridge at Camp Hill? Thinking caps on folks! Perry Barr may have been put up at Sandy Hill Road, Shirley to deter BCT passengers (known as "Corpoes") from trying to board inside the Birmingham boundary. This was common practice.

I would say that is definately the Coventry Road jcn. with Digbeth, and a 153 running into town, but why Perry Barr on the blind is anyones guess, allthough Mike may well be correct, to fool the corpo,s.

Before the Bull Ring Bus Station opened and to make way for the Bull Ring redevelopment a tempory Midland Red terminus was set up opposite Moor Street Station on what was to become part of the Ringway. There was even a small wooden canteen provided just for bus crews. A reminder of that terminus which was for Coventry Road, Warwick Road and Stratford Road services is provided by these two pics. Stratford Blue Leyland No.28 with smart white steering wheel (outside well known shop) and Midland Red D9 4995 when brand new in July 1962.

I rode the Stratford Blue many times and they all seemed to be Leylands back then. The D9, I heard, was the best of the front engined double deckers with it's front wheels set back a bit. Probably the last was it not. Rode the Motorway express to London and you are right, it seemed to have ample power. You could feel it. A great ride. Great to see the pictures and read your comments.

tardebigge, thanks for the D9 shot to compare with the FEDD. I drove 4866 many a time. Sister 4855 had an experimental Lockheed braking system for which a massive Red warning light was fitted next to the speedometer. We were instructed by a small notice next to it that if it came on to park bus immediately. I never had this happen when driving it.

Moving on and now pics at the beginning and ending of the Bull Ring Bus Station showing the entrance in Dudley Street.

I was surprised to see that the old bus station entrance (now reduced to one doorway) and the fascia above it are still there, the last vestiges of the 'last' Bull Ring.
Interesting to see the covered walkway from New Street Station in your first view, mike, then just its support framing in the second, of course it all went soon after once the shopping centre had opened over the new station.

Bus drivers and coach drivers tend not to have a great deal to do with lorry drivers during the course of their work but as a Red driver in the 60's I had cause to be very gratefull for help from a lorry driver. I was working the 170 service from Acocks Green to Wythall where for years the terminus was a reverse off the main Evesham Road into Middle Lane. (No island there in those days). When work started on the Wythall Bypass the turn round was moved further down Middle Lane for a reverse into Chapel Lane then come back up to stop short of the Bypass work. One morning with an S17 and Conductress Phyl Balfe I decided to be clever and save some time by reversing into the mouth of the Bypass workings where we took the short break before returning to Acocks Green. On time to go I started the engine, engaged gear and expected to move off, but instead the back wheels spun and sank into the mud!. Try as I might we could not pull away. Eventually the lower panels at the back were resting on the mud. I told Phyl I would have to phone in for assistance which was going to set the cat amongst the pidgeons to say the least - the sack flashed through my mind as well. Just then a low loader artic lorry with an 8 ton diesel roller on the back pulled up. The driver jumped out and came over grinning. "Got yerself in a mess there mate" he chuckled "but never mind I'll get you out" With that he produced an enormous chain with a hook at each end. "Anywhere to fix this on" he asked. There certainly was. Taking the grille panel off the bus there was a towing eye and in the cab a towing ring to screw in to it. That done the chain was hooked on and the lorry driver wrapped the other end around the back axle between two of the four across wheels at the back of his trailer. "When I've took up the strain" he says "blow your horn and give it all the revs you've got" I did this and he pulled the S17 out of the mud like a cork out of a bottle. I couldn't thank him enough and he was reluctant to take the 10 bob note
I insisted he had for a drink. He was concerned too that I didn't contact his company to pass on my thanks in any way. As he said they might not approve of him using their lorry for bus recovery. The lorry was an AEC tractor unit belonging to Road Rollers Ltd, don't know if they are still trading. We were on our way 30 minutes late but with a bit of low flying time was made up.
Next morning I was on wash duties in the garage. What should come in the line but my S17, with bright brown tyre walls. Whilst I'm looking at the tyres I realised the Engineering Foreman, Norman Keen was standing alongside me. "Some pleaders been ploughing a field with one of my buzzes", he says, "I wish I knew who it pleading was". "No idea Norman" I said as I jumped in to the driving seat to go through the wash. I think he knew really. I'm sure the S17 was 5595 but my old duty diaries are in the loft so out of reach to confirm it. (The word pleading above rhymes with the actual word used!).
The pic shows a later S17, 5623, in a tight squeeze elswhere on the same route

Nice story Mike and I know what the trucker meant when he did not want you to tell his firm. I remember the wythall buses well, I did the routes with you. I remember once doing an Earlswood and it barely carried anyone other that a few farmers wives. There was an altercation with a man about a bus that had not turned up and he got playful so I jawed him and drove off. One of these silly women wrote in telling the gaffer that the man deserved it. Because the man did not complain I got away with it. That happened going out, opposite the Hall Green Co-Op dairy.

I enjoyed that one Stitcher. I hope it wasn't me that was on the missing bus!
One Sunday afternoon with a D7 I got out to the Red Lion on the 179 and the conductor, Tommy Keegan, says we are straight back in, so off we go. As you say there weren't many used the Earlswoods so it didn't seem odd when we picked nobody up til through Shirley. When we got to the Bus Station Tommy comes down to the bonnet and says we've dropped a clanger (we've not I've), we should have dropped back an hour at the Red Lion. Best tell the inspector we agree, so find Ronnie Ashfield on duty and explain. "No problem lads" says he, "quick cuppa then private back to Earlswood" What a gentleman. Running back to Earlswood, I decided to run via Haslucks Green Road from Stratford Road which was OK but then went straight on at Tidbury Green instead of turning right at the petrol staton. Not only did the roof take a bashing off the trees - it wasn't a bus route along there - but there was a twanging noise as well. Tommy told me at the Red Lion that we had taken out the phone wires to each of the bungalows along there. Never heard anything about that after, no doubt cos they wouldn't have expected a double deck bus to pass by and not only that they couldn't phone up the company - the lines were down!
Mike
Haven't got a pic of a D7 on the 179 but here's one on the 154.

Hi. Mike.I like the photo of the S17 sqeezing under the low bridge in Colebrook Road, done that myself a few times when I worked for Caves, with thier garage being just up the road from the bridge, I allways waited till the road was clear if possible, but now and again some speed merchant in a car, would come out of nowhere and sqeeze through. Do you remember the open topper 3867, that lost its roof under that bridge, I saw it go past Caves yard and straight down the hill towards the bridge one morning, running from garage empty thank god, and thought, Oh dear, I knew the driver but wont mention any names. John70.

Slightly off toppic can i suggest to one and all that you DO NOT add photos if you wish to keep copyright control what happens is that a low life will print your photo and then they will add your photo to others they have nicked

Put them on a CD and sell them they end making a profit, you who took the photo end with nothing, it has been known that if they cannot print the photo they will photograph it while it is on the screen

This is why my photos https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/ have my name plastered over the photos you can still see the photo but you cannot print it off

Bammot, I see the merit in what you are saying and when taking many photos as you do and displaying them on a website I agree that if they were published by others for financial gain, it is both unfair and dishonest especially should they claim the photos to be their own copyright. For myself I am posting mostly photos I have taken over the years to be enjoyed by other Forum members and have no objection to them copying them if they so wish. I know Forum members to be far removed from lowlife and looking to capitalise on them. If they did so it is doubtful that I would pick up on it anyway. I have some photos that are from other sources but will only post them as being from 'authors collection' where no copyright is evident or as in the case of most of my collection, rather old. There is another Thread somewhere with useful information on copyright contributed by Lloyd.
Mike

When is a Midland Red coach not a Red coach? Answer when they paint it biscuit brown. In the 1960's some C3 coaches were extended and rebodied by Plaxton (reclassified CL3). They came back in biscuit brown for a new Tour season. Passenger reaction was so negative that the company soon got them into red and black but kept a biscuit brown stripe for a while. Here is 4233 at Digbeth and sister 4227 after repaint.

Biscuit brown?? Surely it was cream?
Regular tour passengers knew the registrations of the coaches, too - I've heard of them telling drivers "They've smartened this one up - we went on it two years ago!"

You are right Lloyd, it was a shade of cream akin to a light beige and I remember now Wilf Viney (in charge of the Mobile Workshop) called it Morning Coffee - not biscuit brown. What ever you call it, it was 'orrible while it lasted.
Did you ever see the queues of regular Tour passengers out the doors and along the pavement after the new seasons bookings opened, hoping to book a tour with their favourite Driver?

...and on shed here's another 'orrible vision, 3346, but at least it's the shorter version. (We also had 3350 which was the better performer of the two).

One of those shorter rebodied CL2 coaches, 3352 (which ended it's Midland Red career as a tow bus at Digbeth), still exists and is undergoing a very slow restoration "somewhere in England". I'm sworn to secrecy as to where and by whom.

Careless talk costs.. etc. I shall forget you told us that Lloyd. You realise you forgot to say "Listen , I shall say ziss only once"
"Good Moaning",
Mike

Hi. Mike.I like the photo of the S17 sqeezing under the low bridge in Colebrook Road, done that myself a few times when I worked for Caves, with thier garage being just up the road from the bridge, I allways waited till the road was clear if possible, but now and again some speed merchant in a car, would come out of nowhere and sqeeze through. Do you remember the open topper 3867, that lost its roof under that bridge, I saw it go past Caves yard and straight down the hill towards the bridge one morning, running from garage empty thank god, and thought, Oh dear, I knew the driver but wont mention any names. John70.

Hi John you will recognise this then. I include it only because it lost it's roof in former Midland Red territory!

Mike

To get back to Midland Red proper, When the Benacre Street bus park closed it was replaced by a large patch of ground in Adderley Street oppsite the Liverpool Street Garage of the Birmingham City Transport. At the back of the site were some buildings that were a Gas Heat Treatment factory in which a small number of single deck buses or coaches could be put under cover but the uncovered area was vast. The single entrance to the site had substantial old brick built gatekeepers hut with an open fireplace inside. This was ideal for the duty Parking Driver in charge. Adderley Street was an ideal place to put vehicles awaiting disposal as shown here with several sad faced C3 and C4 coaches withdrawn and awaiting their fate around the mid 1960's.

Here you are lads another photo from Edgbaston.

Phil

MidlandRedWorksEdgbaston.jpg

Re the C3/4 types awaiting disposal in post 146, sadly almost all of these very luxurious coaches, almost 'lounges on wheels', ended up like this one at Taylor's yard in Stafford.

Hi John you will recognise this then. I include it only because it lost it's roof in former Midland Red territory!

Mike
I thought you would have a photo of it Mike, LOL, as you say it was in Midland Red territory, hadn,t thought of that, John.

Back