• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

Not sure if anyone has a better photo; you can live in hope I guess.
XHA 453 (4453), BMMO D7 type entered service December 1955. It stayed operational until October 1971. 1st depot was Bearwood BD, then DH in 12/58. Back to BD in 1/59. LW in 8/66 and finally SE 2/70.
Radiorails. 132648I did get a photo of sister XHA 482 (now at Wythall) so I suppose that will have to do.

Sadly mate not that number, the D7 had been replaced mostly at my garage, and we had D9's. this a D7 at Witton transport Museum, but I guess you will have seen this. Oops, sorry pressed it twice. View attachment 132643View attachment 132644View attachment 132644
Thanks Gerry, These were at Wythall, not Witton and 4031 I drove a couple of times at Digbeth. Incidentally, none are D7's - 4031 is an LD8 and the other one a D5 - the former always my favourite having plenty of 'umph'

I don't really remember any of the staff except my brother and the workshop foreman, my brother went to Australia and the foreman retired to Wales some time later, struggling to recall his name at the moment, he had a souped up Mini Cooper that some might remember.

Interesting piece. I do remember that accident, as it was shown on TV in the evening. I really enjoyed my days with the Midland Red, it was a great job and so much fun. It did change when we were taken over by the WMPTE, but not that much, we still operated as a sort of posh end of the business. That was until we were told to route learn some Birmingham services, particularly the 95/96 and the Collector Road Express service to Chelmsley Wood. I have memories of Bull Street, bus stops on a wet winters night, with long queues of shop workers and customers all waiting in the pouring rain. Always running late, due to heavy traffic around the Gate at Saltley, trying to make up time, but finding it futile, when you were driving a knackered old bus. It was nice to get back on the 107, and 112, 113 and the other OUT of city services. Happy days. Gerry.
Interesting to see you mention some of the Sutton Garage route numbers, going to BVGS, the 107 was my normal bus home (except when I paid the extra to travel on the West Brom 25, much faster, especially the DEA Daimlers), I remember routes S67, S73 & S76 all working Chester Road/Erdington. Also routes 107, 109 & 113. All those destinations are fresh in my mind, but I am trying to remember was the 110 - Tamworth and the 112 - Lichfield? I have completely forgotten the destinations of the others in the early 100 route series, but know they were all buses through Sutton, I think the 101 was Mere Green. Before the HHA single decks came on service, I can remember when waiting at Six Ways the GHA registered SON single decks in all over red running the X99. Travelled on them on a couple of occasions, a long journey (started by me at Six Ways, Erdington) and often necessitating coming back by rail because the bus journey back would have got me home too late. Happy days, simple pleasures, now you would do it on your bed with a Gameboy or whatever it is and a large screen television on the bedroom wall and do the journey by virtual reality and it would take a lot less time...nurse the screens!!!

Bob

Bob,
Somewhere I have posted a list of all the Midland Red services in Sutton Coldfield. I thought it was on this thread but I haven't found it. 110 was Tamworth with the X99 continuing on to Nottingham. 112 was Burton on Trent via Lichfield with the X12 taking the same route but continuing to Derby

Bob,
Somewhere I have posted a list of all the Midland Red services in Sutton Coldfield. I thought it was on this thread but I haven't found it. 110 was Tamworth with the X99 continuing on to Nottingham. 112 was Burton on Trent via Lichfield with the X12 taking the same route but continuing to Derby
David

Thanks, Rode them all in GHA SON single decks fitted with the later style dual purpose seats. What an interesting ride back it was by train from all three destinations

Bob

Hi Guys, sorry for late response. Yes, Sutton (SN Blind) did not operate the 116, but did help out with 110 occasionally. We didn't operate X99. We did operate X12 & 112. Not mentioned: 111, Which ran around the Tower Estate at Mere Green running off the Parade in Sutton. Great times. Gerry. pictured the wonderful D9 engine. Plus the view I had every day. But no Tacho in 1975.3351768081_911c6b34e9_b.jpg3352583524_3107eaeafe_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is what I call a bus queue. And this is only part of the queue. No idea what the occasion was, or maybe this was a regular thing ? Viv.

25E83A8E-627B-4FF3-9495-8A2434C7C39F.jpeg

Back in 1958, I was working at Sutton Garage, and we would often be sent into Birmingham, during the Bank Holidays, to stand at Station Street, and be allocated a route. We would run fully loaded to such destinations as: Stourport, Stratford, Warwick, and the Lickey Hills. We would then stand all day, and return with the passengers to Birmingham at around 6pm. They were known as "Station Street Extras". The queues were right down the hill to board the buses. I would think this is what is in this photograph. Thanks. G.

Today. Bank Holiday 25th. May., the Wythall Museum has a virtual' Midland Red day on Facebook. You don't need to sign in it seems to view but of course those who are registered with Facebook can post or upload any suitable Midland Red photos. 10 am. is kick-off! :)
As the organisers say it cannot be rained off. :D

Even though I am 80 now, and have run various businesses over the years, I still count my time with the Midland RED as one of the best jobs I ever did. Every day was different, and the people back then were really lovely, I mean you could have a laugh with them. I guess it was like family...yes, it was a big Midland RED family.

Hi. I was at Sutton Garage, 75 & 76, then sadly went onto coaches....big mistake...but at least I saw Europe. Sadly I don't recall Peter mate. My boss was Comelio, a chap called Smart in the upstairs offices.

My brother was at Sutton for a long time, first driving then in the workshop until he emigrated to Australia in 1970.

He did some of the trial coach runs to London when the M1 first opened.

His mate was called Wyn, I think he was in charge, retired to Wales later, stayed in touch with my brother until brother died.

Wyn might still be alive.

Hi Guys, sorry for late response. Yes, Sutton (SN Blind) did not operate the 116, but did help out with 110 occasionally. We didn't operate X99. We did operate X12 & 112. Not mentioned: 111, Which ran around the Tower Estate at Mere Green running off the Parade in Sutton. Great times. Gerry. pictured the wonderful D9 engine. Plus the view I had every day. But no Tacho in 1975.View attachment 132826View attachment 132827
Spent many hours staring through the window behind the drivers seat of my dad on the 118 Walsall route. Remember in the mid 60's on the dual carriageway downhill stretch between Scott Arms and The Broadway of my dad being reprimanded by the traffic police for being well over the speed limit. Stopped us on the return journey to Brum as they were too slow off the mark to chase him! Arthur Probyn, anybody remember him?

My brother was at Sutton for a long time, first driving then in the workshop until he emigrated to Australia in 1970.
He did some of the trial coach runs to London when the M1 first opened.
His mate was called Wyn, I think he was in charge, retired to Wales later, stayed in touch with my brother until brother died.
Wyn might still be alive.

Wyn Jordan? Still around as far as I know, I usually see him once a year at the Wythall museum, but obviously not this year (yet!)

Back