• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red Around Birmingham.

Latest news about former Midland Red

[h=1]Rotala takes First's Worcs business[/h]
worcester301.jpg

The retrenchment at First UK Bus continues with the sale to Rotala of the company's Worcestershire operations. These involve 36 vehicles and 120 employees based at depots in Kidderminster and Redditch. The deal is valued at £1.5million. Although running just 36 buses, the two depots have between them the capacity to hold over 100.

Rotala says the acquisition will enable it to expand and consolidate its position in those parts of Worcestershire which are contiguous with its main areas of operation in the Birmingham conurbation. The Rotala fleet now numbers around 550 buses and coaches, mainly in the West Midlands, but with significant operations in Preston and Bristol.

www.rotalaplc.com

Having worked for First Bus for over 5 years I can only think that the bus passengers of Worcestershire should be grateful.

Having worked for First Bus for over 5 years I can only think that the bus passengers of Worcestershire should be grateful.

I would think so too, 'service' is no longer a product of their operations.
Incidentally it is only the Redditch and Kidderminster areas taken over: Worcester and Hereford remain under the First name (but how long for??).

I would think so too, 'service' is no longer a product of their operations.
Incidentally it is only the Redditch and Kidderminster areas taken over: Worcester and Hereford remain under the First name (but how long for??).
It was thought First were pulling out of West Cornwall a couple of years ago and a far more passenger friendly company, Western Greyhound, would be taking over. Unfortunately Firsts bid for the tendered side of the business came in lower than the other companies so now we are left with a company that dislikes its passengers and drivers alike.

i agree dave...shame hewards shop has closed...

lyn

Yes it is.....but for those of us into Ham radio, electrics, electronics & gadgets, J&M Connections, using the last unit of the three that Hewards occupied, still provides what we want/need. It is run by two of the original team - John & Marcella Heward.
Dave

There were a total of 25 escalators between the Pallasades (New St Station) and the Bull Ring 9 on the station and 16 in the Bull Ring

We seem to have got into an argument on the thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20585&page=13&p=482064#post482064 which is about pictures of New Street Station. I say that between the Midland Red Bus Station and the Indoor Market were escalators leading up to the Bull Ring Centre. Can anyone back me up?

We seem to have got into an argument on the thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20585&page=13&p=482064#post482064 which is about pictures of New Street Station. I say that between the Midland Red Bus Station and the Indoor Market were escalators leading up to the Bull Ring Centre. Can anyone back me up?

Yes there were. The entrance was directly opposite lane 2 of the bus station. There was a photo booth at the bottom of the escalator and doors into the market. There was also a (separate) passage from the bus station to the fish market, with public toilets between the two.

hi Lloyed
nice to see you and hear from you again; its been some time since i have heard from you, on the subject of the ohoto booth ;
there was also a booth where you could make a recording of your voice and make a music record of your selfs singing ;
but i must admitt the quaility was a complete rubbish ;
Or kid my younger brother to me next one down to me Dave and his best mate tommy [ curly ] always together in there younger days
And when they went around together on the town pub or club ; they used to resemble and look like peter and gordon the pop duo
And peopl called them that because tom loked like the one identy with his glasses on he had to wear them for his health reasons
worned them from childhood thick darl rimmed glasses and our dave looked the other guy so they would always refere them as peter and gordon;
Duo and they went into that phoneo recording booth inside that arch way into the midland red bus station;
and my late mother inlaw worked in the midland red bus station canteen for the bus drivers of midland red buses her name was daisy williams
she worked there for years and she then she got tranfered to the sutton coldfield mid red station ;
She used to tell us about a coloured guy inspector there in brums mid red station ; there his nick name was holy joe as he was always practicing and preaching the bible every day ; this guy was there for years ; in fact i think there was an article on him in the birmingham mail
one of the years possibly around 1969-70 ;period
there was a pub above the midland red more to the market end and a resturuant which you had to go up the ramp to get to the indoor market
have a good day Lloyed best wishes Alan Astonan;

In the mid 1950's, once a week, I used to catch the Midland Red 120 bus from Bearwood to Oldbury and it always had a Guy with I think a Park Royal body, typical fleet no was I think 3565. They were very noisy and unlike the Birmingham Corpn. Guys had a crash gearbox. Anybody else remember them as they never appear in any articles or photo's?

HI ALL
Reading this thread brings back unhappy memories of a journey on a Midland Red bus. It was at the end of the 50s. My wife and i were courting
at the time. We left my mothers house in Formans Rd about 6pm and walked down to the Stratford Rd. We decided to get on the first bus
that came along. It was a Midland Red going to Tamworth in Arden. When we got there we decided to have a drink in the local pub. By this time
the bus had left Tamworth. Iwent into the village shop to get a Sports Argus and find out the times of buses back to Brum latter on.
Ihad a shock as the next bus to brum was on Tuesday.They only had 2 services to Brum on Tuesday and Saturday. We ended up having to
walk to Wood End station about 2 miles away to get a train back to Brum. I still have not had a drink in this pub,if it is still open
KEN

Hi Ken.
It would have been a 179 bus to Tanworth in Arden, I used to drive them when on the idland red in the 60s, I live in Burnham now also.

HI JOHN 30
Many thanks for reminding me of the bus number. Ihave spent the last 50 years trying to forget. Nice to see you are in Burnham,i live
in Rectory Rd
ken

View attachment 82253View attachment 82254

I have studied both pictures and they do look the same location
would kettle house road be around kingstanding circle ??
ragga :pride:
Morning all,

Just bumbled into this one while browsing the forum and I think it's time to come out of "hiding" and post something as I can (I hope!) put you all out of your misery:
944 was the number Midland Red allocated to the Boney Hay to Birmingham Limited Stop service it inherited from Harpers of Heath Hayes (or possibly introduced to cover much the same road) - the Harpers stopping service became Midland Red's 853/854 which are shown on the stop plate.
I'm guessing that the bus is a fairly new allocation to Heath Hayes depot and probably still has its previous depot's destination blinds fitted, hence the blanks, and presumably the photo was taken around the mid-70s.

Back