• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

midland nerve hospital, birmingham

michaelr

Does anyone have any history on the Midland Nerve Hospital in Birmingham, and are there any photos about.

michaelr

According to Mary Harding in her book Birmingham Hospitals The Midland Nerve Hospital was a teaching hospital in St James Rd in 1949, but I cannot see a picture of it in the book, unless it changed names.

In (according to the national archive papers) 1961 it moved to elvetham road on the east side at the junction with charlotte road. Before this the elvetham road site had been called The Firs, an 1830s house , which apparently now is a student rersidence complex. It looks from Google as if there isn't anything left of the pre student days
Mike

Lol!! i attended there for six months as a day patient , very nice place, very helpful people, : )): )) under Dr Morgan.....beautiful grounds ... Jan Kelf ...sister, LOVED IT .....if its possible too under those circumstances !!! regards Tony.... dont have pics !!! WAS looking for some myself : ) : )

hi

for those who visit it all i know is the Neurological nerve testing centre is housed in the City Road hospital.
This is a major centre for the testing of nerves.
it seems to have been there for years. its housed in the old hospital you need to be fit to get there.

mike Jenks

Does anyone have any history on the Midland Nerve Hospital in Birmingham, and are there any photos about.

michaelr
My parents, Alfred and Kathleen Coldrick, were resident caretakers of the old Midland Nerve Hospital when it was located at 20-22 Bath Row Birmingham. Opposite was, and still is, St. Thomas’ Church which was bombed early in WW2. but the main tower/steeple survived and, together with the surrounding grounds, was repaired and is there today.
The Nerve Hospital was virtually undamaged despite being opposite and continued to function.
I was born in July 1935 at the Queens Hospital, where my father was a Porter prior to moving to the Nerve Hospital (see opening comments).
I was evacuated to North Wales shortly after the bombing started and returned about 3 years later to continue living with my parents at the Nerve Hospital. I resumed education at St. Thomas’ School, Infants/Junior which was situated on the corner opposite the Church and opposite the Midland Nerve
Hospital.
Davenports Brewery was also opposite but further along Bath Row.
After passing the 11 plus I went to Geo. Dixon Grammar School, Bearwood and continued living with my parents at The Midland Nerve Hospital after leaving G.D. and starting employment and remained there until my marriage in 1958 which confirms the Hospital was still functioning later than other accounts suggest.
There was another branch of the Midland Nerve Hospital, not far from Bath Row but situated in a more residential area (I think Elvetham Road) and where I met my future wife who was a nurse there.
By great coincidence, I have discovered that one of my ancestors, who all hailed from Herefordshire, eventually moved to Birmingham and lived at No. 37 Bath Row!
I am searching for photos but, meanwhile hope my mini-biography will be of some interest and assistance.
DRC

I was reading your article on the Midland Nerve Hospital.I was a Day Patient for a year in 1982 when the hospital was in Elvetham Road.Dr Davis was the head of the Hospital and Sister Jan Healey ran the Day Hospital I wondered if you new if they were still alive.?
Many Thanks.

Back