• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Midland Educational

Well from what I've been able to find so far, "Le Petit Port de St Tropez" was exhibited at the "salon" of the Société Lyonnaise des Beaux Arts in 1938. I believe Emile Beaussier was president of the Société Lyonnaise des Beaux arts from 1937 to 1939. I'm intrigued as to why a copy of this particular painting by this particular painter should wind up at the Midland Educational in Birmingham. Is it anything to do with the fact that Birmingham is twinned with Lyon? Several of Beaussier's paintings have been sold at Druout (a French equivalent of the English Christies) and i've tracked down one painting sold a couple of years ago at Phillips. A typical price fro a Beaussier original paining seems to be around £1000. For the moment I can't find where the original to Lizzie45's picture is currently located. Can Lizzie45 let us know when the picture was bought at the Midland Educational and is there any indication as to who produced the reproduction?

I bought the picture I have from a jumble sale about 30 years ago,never really looked closely at it until a few days ago.Decided to try to find out about the painter,the picture has a small piece of paper on the back with,Midland Education co ltd.Fine Arts dept.No date.I removed the brown tape around the frame,which was very brittle,but didn’t take the back off yet,as very small metal pins all around the frame.I m not actually interested in art just bought the pic because I loved it.

Hi again Lizzie45. My mum used to buy loads of paintings and prints from jumble sales, many of which I now have on my walls! I've added below a link to the French Wikipedia site for Emile Beaussier which contains many examples of his work, including your painting. Although I'm a Brummie boy, I've been living in France for the last 35 years which has made it easier to track down Monsieur Beaussier. I'm really hoping now I can find some kind of connection between the Beaux Arts in Lyon and the School of Fine Art in Birmingham, which might help to explain how this particular picture should be in the fine art department of the Midland Educational

Ty for your help,I did see my picture on Wikipedia was lovely to see a larger clearer version.I m so glad I joined this forum,I have found out loads by doing so.
Hi again Lizzie45. My mum used to buy loads of paintings and prints from jumble sales, many of which I now have on my walls! I've added below a link to the French Wikipedia site for Emile Beaussier which contains many examples of his work, including your painting. Although I'm a Brummie boy, I've been living in France for the last 35 years which has made it easier to track down Monsieur Beaussier. I'm really hoping now I can find some kind of connection between the Beaux Arts in Lyon and the School of Fine Art in Birmingham, which might help to explain how this particular picture should be in the fine art department of the Midland Educational

My mum took me to the M E in the 1960s as my brother had go out with friends . I had seen the new toy Action Man on blue peter and my mum bought me the sailor one I remember it was one 30 shillings then £1.50 today's money .that shop was wonderful for cheep games as well

Ty for your help,I did see my picture on Wikipedia was lovely to see a larger clearer version.I m so glad I joined this forum,I have found out loads by doing so.
Loved

My mum took me to the Midland education back in the 60s when my brother had gone out with another family to the ideal home existing at Bingley hall .mum treated me to one of the first Acton Men I had seen on blue peter that Monday .I think it cost 30 shillings then £1.50 today's money .it W's the sailor and there were lots to follow over many years and Christmas's to follow.

I worked at the Solihull branch originally it was on Station Approach Road then it merged with the company's toy shop Barnbys which was situated in Mill Lane next to what was then Beaties department store. The upper floor was referred to as Midland Educational and had a sign at the counter . The ground floor was still called Barnbys and the Store sign said Barnbys. I worked there whilst studying law part time at Birmingham Polytechnic. We ceased trading on December 29th 1989.

Just looked 41Corporation Street up on GoogleMap wasn't where I remembered MidlandEd which was on the corner of Fore St. I even recall a side entrance into Fore St.! Do tell me I am not going totally senile!

I can recall the Midland Educational being on Corporation Street close to Cherry Street and a rear entrance in Canon Street in the early 1960's, and then it later moved up the Street close to Bull Street , where I started work in 1968 ...

Loved the Midland Educational. I still have a book of tables and a slide rule that I used throughout my technical school days.

View attachment 149461
Found this picture on Facebook. Do other members have totally false memories? Things you KNOW with certainty that turn out to be wrong! Camera House next door you would have thought I would have remembered that. See #99 above I attached the wrong post.

Attachments

• Screenshot (371).png
    Screenshot (371).png
    550.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I worked there for 7 months after I took early retirement from BT till the shop closed in the 80's after being bought by Next. I was their delivery driver, they had no garage so I kept the van (Ford Transit) on my drive at home which was a bonus, another bonus I had 25% discount on my art material purchases. The manager was Mr Baker who gave me his solid oak desk when the shop closed which I took home in the van, still have it in my studio, also have the plan chest where they displayed the imperial sized sheets of watercolour paper also in the closing down sale I purchased a large amount of art materials at 20% of their normal cost. Pity it closed for I really enjoyed working there. I felt sorry for the staff, some had worked there all their lives. Eric

I remember Midland Ed - my mum always took me to the Oasis square one for school supplies.
I recall also they had a great toy section - I got Britains' "Space" models there and recall seeing licenced merch from the David Lynch Dune film so that must have been - 1984?
i recall it sprawling over several floors and having different exits.

I had a summer job there in the late 70s. I worked downstairs in goods in/out and learnt to tie up packages. I can still do a mean Xmas present wrap. My elder brother worked there for a few summers and is still close friends with a colleague he worked with. I can't remember too much about the shop though, apart from the escalator mentioned at the start of the thread but a lot of shops had those.

My first job was at Midland Educational in Corporation Street in 1977.
I worked there on a NDC sandwich course from Solihull Tech. My interview was with Mr Sayers who was the group MD, and I got the job in the School Books department, reporting to supervisor Linda Rimmer.
Staff on that department were great Joan Ainsley was senior and Sam Edgar and me were the juniors. The store manager was Mr Ken Gough, and I also remember Mr Laing, Mr Batsford and Mr Rowlands who were departmental heads.
The next department to mine on the first floor was the record department which for me as a 17 year old was brilliant because we could go and choose any track we wanted to hear and they would play it. A lad called John Rose worked on that section I remember.
At break times there was a full canteen on the top floor and you could get lunch, snacks and afternoon teas. .
I loved working there but the money was awful and I left to work for Saxone Shoes in New Street. I hated that job, and went into business in the tyre industry. . Never looked back.

Last edited:
Only just joined this forum and this is a really old thread but..
I remember Midland Ed well and have fond memories of my time there as a Saturday and holiday time worker between 1972 to 75/6. I used to work mainly with Cath and Mabel on the counter near the cashier's office selling brief cases, slide rules, drawing pens, Letraset, and all sorts of arty/technical stuff. In fact, that whole floor was an Aladin's cave of materials for artists and crafting with resin, lino cuts, basket work etc. A real loss when it shut down.
As already mentioned, the top floor was Arts and Crafts, 1st floor was books, maps, and records, ground floor was stationery, and basement was toys including educational "toys" like chemistry sets etc.
I was on the top floor and Bill Ford managed that department while Mr Gough was the General Manager. I think Mr Laing managed the book dept.
Although people did have tiffs occasionally and there were some real characters, everyone was friendly and it was like a big family. I was sad to leave when I went to Uni (particularly because I'd just met a girl I was very interested in who was also leaving to take an engineering degree but bad timing, confusion, and inexperience with girls let me down there but that's another story !).
Oasis next door was another Aladin's cave. I remember the smell of joss sticks when you went in, and the massive variety of shops ranging from posters to clothing to lamps and homeware - all sorts of stuff. Next door to that was Lasky's hi fi shop if I remember correctly - got my first amp and deck second hand off the manager there.
Up the road, over the island was Virgin Records which, I assume, was the original shop, again with the smell of joss sticks as you went in and people lounging in their flares and Eastern patterned tee shirts on the seats down the middle of the shop listening to albums before deciding to buy.
I wouldn't have missed working at Midland Ed. It introduced me to loads of nice people and gave me some life experience I wouldn't otherwise have had until later. It was a great shame when it was closed down.

They moved from 41/43 (later H Samuels) to 104 sometime between 65 and 71.
Hi it was after 1966 as l worked in the original shop in Corporation St almost next door to Rackhams and l remember working and listening to the 1966 World Cup Final on a radio in the deserted book dept ..l left shortly afterwards and didn't see the new shop.

I joined Midland Ed 1962 straight from school at their Solihull shop on Station Approach a row of brand-new shops,a house move saw me move to their Stratford upon Avon store which was tiny and no good for future progression so it was off to Corporation St ..can't remember names who l worked with except for a Mr Penny and Roger both worked with me in the book dept,The staffroom was divided into male and female rooms...that didnt stop me finding my first girlfriend who left to work next door in Rackham's for more money .The book department had a metal gantry around the top of the shelfs where all the spare stock was kept...l left in 1966 to join WHS on the south coast and went on to manage their largest stores including those at Heathrow MCR and Stansted.

There was a store around by the oasis market called the Midland Educational, (i think), remember it as being spread over maybe 2 or 3 floors, had an interesting arts and craft department from what i remember, but don't know much else about it, wondered if anyone else has memories of this store, can't remember when it close and don't seem to remember any other branches.
I remember the shop, there was a branch in Solihull . It did sell arts and crafts and books as well. I seem to recall they sold toys too. My sister and I would anxiously wait for the shop to open after the Christmas break so we could spend our newly gifted book and gift tokens.

I still have some school text books which I bought from Midland Educational in Corporation Street in the 1970s. It was a great shop.

The WHSmith shop in Sutton Coldfield Gracechurch centre opened as Midland Educational, WHS took it over when Midland Ed finished

I recall Midland Educational in Sutton Coldfield being located opposite the rear entrance of Marks and Spencer in the Gracechurch Centre, several doors along from W H Smith.

Back