• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Cycling & Athletic Club

Walter B Goodwin died in May 1916, and he was President of the MC and AC which was in its 26th year. Although it does not actually say it looks like it may be the Midlands and a combination of Athletics and Cycling.

I know a while back, several members of the club did a lot of walking hiking, etc, I have often wondered just where the Athletic part came from. Was the club involved with football or cricket at one time? Huh John B?

John B Found this photo of I think Brian Butterworth do you remember him and know1950 Butterworth 001.jpg if he is still around he must be my age 87 or so now he was a good friend good TT racer also

The faltering Birmingham Athletics Club was absorbed into the cycling club on April 3rd 1890, at a meting at the Holte Hotel Aston, on the official start up of the cycling club, hence Midland Cycling & Athletic Club to this day, officials were elected also at this meeting. This meeting followed two previous meetings to explore the possibilities of forming the said organisation. On April 15th, 47 people were elected to membership of the club.
Apart from Trafford, J W Morton was the British 100 yards champion in 1900, he also beat the American champion Duffy, several times. 1902 Syd Holloway was the quarter mile British Empire Champion. 1908 and Reg Noakes won the 2 miles Steeplechase Champion, a feat that he repeated in 1909 & 1911. Ralph Youster also represented the club in UK championships.
Athletics took a back seat after these success's & cycling became the main thing with much success on track, road & record breaking, touring, etc.
A little known fact is that the Aston Villa football club started a cycling club also, as they had a track around the football pitch, but this also was absorbed into the MC&AC after twelve months.

In reply to Old Brit (Crumpy), The above article gives the information regarding the athletic side of the club.
Also the club has over its existence had many members that have been walkers, mountaineers, etc.
In my time we used to have a break from cycling occasionally during the winter months, camping at Capel Curig in Snowdonia & walking the hills & mountains around that area. Remember on one occasion doing the Snowden Horseshoe on a icy morning, Grib Goch ridge was not to be advised in those conditions, really terrifying. Also got lost in a whiteout once travelling back to Capel from the Ledr Valley, ah well we were young & adventurous. Brian Butterworth was just before my time, have never met him & I do not know any more about him, but I know that he was a very promising rider in the fifties.
Before the First World War & after the club had a very good football team, also they played cricket, and on one occasion they had a guest player in the team that also played for Warwickshire & England, they were determined to beat the Enfield team from Redditch.

Last edited:
In reply to Old Brit (Crumpy), The above article gives the information regarding the athletic side of the club.
Also the club has over its existence had many members that have been walkers, mountaineers, etc.
In my time we used to have a break from cycling occasionally during the winter months, camping at Capel Curig in Snowdonia & walking the hills & mountains around that area. Remember on one occasion doing the Snowden Horseshoe on a icy morning, Grib Goch ridge was not to be advised in those conditions, really terrifying. Also got lost in a whiteout once travelling back to Capel from the Ledr Valley, ah well we were young & adventurous. Brian Butterworth was just before my time, have never met him & I do not know any more about him, but I know that he was a very promising rider in the fifties.
Before the First World War & after the club had a very good football team, also they played cricket, and on one occasion they had a guest player in the team that also played for Warwickshire & England, they were determined to beat the Enfield team from Redditch.
Thanks for the info John I remember that some of you did do a lot of walking

Walter B Goodwin died in May 1916, and he was President of the MC and AC which was in its 26th year. Although it does not actually say it looks like it may be the Midlands and a combination of Athletics and Cycling.
Thanks for the info John I remember that some of you did do a lot of walking
In reply to the query by Pedrocut in regard to Walter B Goodwin.
He died Suddenly & un-expected on May 27th 1916. At the time of his death he was President of the club and also Editor of the clubs magazine Roll-Call and had just days before sent the proofs in for the June edition. He had produced a special edition of Roll-Call for May which was to celebrate the magazines 21st birthday. The magazine had been mentioned as the the 'Punch' of the cycling world. A memorial fund was set up & realised over £400.00, a tidy sum of money at that time.
John Urry (father of the club) took on the Presidency of the club & Frank Urry the Roll-Call Editors job
I am proud to say that The Roll-Call is still being produced monthly, as it has continually since 1895 without a break, a fitting tribute to the men of that time.

The faltering Birmingham Athletics Club was absorbed into the cycling club on April 3rd 1890, at a meting at the Holte Hotel Aston, on the official start up of the cycling club, hence Midland Cycling & Athletic Club to this day, officials were elected also at this meeting. This meeting followed two previous meetings to explore the possibilities of forming the said organisation. On April 15th, 47 people were elected to membership of the club.
Apart from Trafford, J W Morton was the British 100 yards champion in 1900, he also beat the American champion Duffy, several times. 1902 Syd Holloway was the quarter mile British Empire Champion. 1908 and Reg Noakes won the 2 miles Steeplechase Champion, a feat that he repeated in 1909 & 1911. Ralph Youster also represented the club in UK championships.
Athletics took a back seat after these success's & cycling became the main thing with much success on track, road & record breaking, touring, etc.
A little known fact is that the Aston Villa football club started a cycling club also, as they had a track around the football pitch, but this also was absorbed into the MC&AC after twelve months.
Ralph Youster was my grandfather, I have some of his Cycling records if you would be interested I could send you copies

Ralph Youster was my grandfather, I have some of his Cycling records if you would be interested I could send you copies
If you still have the records I would be interested in receiving copies, thanks John Bishop. General Secretary, Midland Cycling & Athletic Club.

The club Midland C&AC is one of the oldest cycling clubs still in existence I understand?
I believe that we are the 3rd or 4th oldest cycling club still in existence, but we may be better than that as an active club.
Others may exist by name only, as we have club runs, organise club time trials & have social events each year, plus a monthly club magazine called the 'Roll-Call'.

Hi John B.

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Hello from Australia. I have come across this thread while I was researching the history of my husbands great grandfather’s medal he received as the winner of a ‘24 mile bicycle race’ in August 1885. John Henry Crisp was living in Sutton Coalfield, Warwickshire and would have been around 16 or 17 years old at the time. I thought people following this thread might find the medal interesting and also hoped someone might know what the race might have been or have some more information?

Attachments

• 0697016D-99CD-434E-A86E-0875A02E81D5.jpeg
    0697016D-99CD-434E-A86E-0875A02E81D5.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 16CD735C-D848-4B93-A5F3-3F23049F8D9A.jpeg
    16CD735C-D848-4B93-A5F3-3F23049F8D9A.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 14
Hello from Australia. I have come across this thread while I was researching the history of my husbands great grandfather’s medal he received as the winner of a ‘24 mile bicycle race’ in August 1885. John Henry Crisp was living in Sutton Coalfield, Warwickshire and would have been around 16 or 17 years old at the time. I thought people following this thread might find the medal interesting and also hoped someone might know what the race might have been or have some more information?
Binder, welcome to the Forum, a great place enjoy!

What a wonderful piece of cycling history you have provided. We have members with a history of cycling and some that still are at it.

Not sure I have posted this before, but this is the report of the Midland C&AC club dinner 1951 I think? I found this looking through some old Cycling mags

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 8
Sorry I am unable to help you on this one, as the records that I have start in 1895 & my club began in 1890.

Back