• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Counties Dairy

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Just had a telephone conversation with my lovely grand daughter. She said to me "it's very cold today, grand dad" I replied "No it is not" . I tried to explain to her that we used to call it cold when the M.C.D doorstep deliveries, had the top of the milk bottle pushed off, by the frozen milk. We would have an 'iced milk lolly'.

Eddie

cookie273uk

master brummie
I used to maintain their telephone system in the early 60's during my time with PO telephones, still remember one of the 2 telephonists names Hilda Tims lived Priory Road Aston. Eric

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
Midlands Counties Dairy on the corner of Bagot Street and Corporation Street, no date I'm afraid. I'd take a guess at the 1950s / early 1960s. I passed it everyday going to and from school. I loved looking through the windows watching the bottles of milk and listening to them rattling along on their belts. I remember the dairy had a very distinctive smell.

28958753_10208461867344216_1810972279440157990_n.jpg

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly how I remember it Pedro, was still like that in the early 1970s - no longer produced milk by then, just ice-cream. The factory backed onto the canal. Alongside the canal were dustbins of waste ice-cream. During the hot summer months that I worked there on the night shift, the bins became infested with with insects. And yes, you've guessed it, it was all put back through the process ! Put me off cheap ice-cream for life.

One consolation, they paid good money for student labour and you were given lots of fag breaks throughout the night. And a very good subsidised canteen. Goes without saying, didn't eat much of their ice-cream. Viv.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Alan. Have merged the threads. There may now be unseen posts earlier in this thread. Viv.

Radiorails

master brummie
This photograph, uncredited, is of Kingstanding. However it could easily represent any milk delivery people and their horses in much of the towns in the UK.
iu

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
The milk horse and cart looks exactly how I remember it in Kingstanding - I'm talking about the mid- 1950s. I would have still been very small at that time and remember how massive the horse and cart seemed. This as still in the days when householders would rush out with a shovel - great garden manure I believe. Viv.

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
Exactly how I remember it Pedro, was still like that in the early 1970s - no longer produced milk by then, just ice-cream. The factory backed onto the canal. Alongside the canal were dustbins of waste ice-cream. During the hot summer months that I worked there on the night shift, the bins became infested with with insects. And yes, you've guessed it, it was all put back through the process ! Put me off cheap ice-cream for life.

One consolation, they paid good money for student labour and you were given lots of fag breaks throughout the night. And a very good subsidised canteen. Goes without saying, didn't eat much of their ice-cream. Viv.

Pedro! Por favor, Senora Vivienne!

4A0719E600000578-0-image-a-19_1520584334410.jpg

joe 90

master brummie
The milk horse and cart looks exactly how I remember it in Kingstanding - I'm talking about the mid- 1950s. I would have still been very small at that time and remember how massive the horse and cart seemed. This as still in the days when householders would rush out with a shovel - great garden manure I believe. Viv.
I used to work Midland Counties at Kingstanding as a milkman with an electric float 500 customers a day it was good money l was 18yks before l went into the Police.

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
Sorry, can't provide a date. Interesting to note the dairy does not extend to Aston Road North at the time the photo was taken.

30127127_10214753939389384_996665550842689273_n.jpg

Radiorails

master brummie
TV0005.jpg

font_bigger.gif
font_smaller.gif

Tame Valley, Perry Barr Midland Counties Dairy Ltd

Nicklin, Phyllis (1967) Tame Valley, Perry Barr Midland Counties Dairy Ltd. [Image] (Unpublished)

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
TV0005.jpg

font_bigger.gif
font_smaller.gif

Tame Valley, Perry Barr Midland Counties Dairy Ltd

Nicklin, Phyllis (1967) Tame Valley, Perry Barr Midland Counties Dairy Ltd. [Image] (Unpublished)
Hope you don't mind, I thought I'd adjust the brightness and contrast and increase the size to see what would happen. You can see the Zig Zag bridge! I must have passed this building thousands of times over the years. Have they built on the site yet?
29crqc.jpg

Radiorails

master brummie
The photo by Barr Beacon, in post 93, seems to have been taken around the 1920 -1922 period. Knowing that MCD had horse floats and at a later date also electric floats I was surprised at the large number of petrol vehicles. I did wonder that as this photo seems to be close to the ending of WW1 there might have been a shortage of horses - many were shopped to the continent and sadly large numbers also died there!!!
Any other ideas folks?

landcrab9

knowlegable brummie
I was a milkman with Midland Counties Dairy around 1959/60. Based at Manchester Street Depot.
My round covered the area, Wheeler St, New John St, Russell St, Villa St, Little King St, Summer Lane, Farm Street & many others I can't recall off hand. Later I progressed to a much bigger and better round at Sparkbrook/ Sparkhill area.
My supervisor was a cracking bloke named Charlie Avery. My best pals were Jack Hickman & Barry Docker. Happy days.
Bryan.