• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Midlad Region Transport School RMail

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
For most of my time with Royal Mail our regional HQ was in Birmingham,
however they had a HGV training school at Desborough, an old airfield in
Leicestershire, and together with a friend of mine from Burton went there for two weeks in 1970. In the early days the HGV men were the Knights of
the road, nowadays half of them are cowboys, and bl###dy awlful drivers.There were two of us with the instructor, so we had ten days tuition and then the test, at Leicester on the folowing Monday, This lasted
two hours, 30 minutes in the centre and 90 minutes out on the road.
Surprise, surprise I have a few photos, cheers Bernard

nice pictures of some of the fleet of Bedford lorries that were the mainstay of vehicles for the post office ' royal mail etc and military over the years Bernard.. in late 75 when maggie was several months pregnant with the twins we still went everywhere on our motorbike ...we were by Chichester and it broke down we had walked a fair way thumbing it as you did in those days with crash helmets in hand..no car drivers stopped ...but a lorry driver did stop to see if we were alright ..and then took us into town..he WAS a Knight of the road:)

Back