• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Middlemore Home?

metebelis_3

I am having a hard time tracing a 1911 census entry for 11a (possibly 119) St Luke's Road in Birmingham.

I've located the street, and it appears to be on a boundary line between Worcestershire and Warwickshire.

For St Luke's Road, Edgbaston, Kings Norton, Worcestershire, the house numbers are: 98 and 153.

For St Luke's Road, Birmingham, Birmingham, Warwickshire, the house numbers are: 1 FR 2 to 3 FR 3, then 20 to 115. No 11a. No 119.

I know there were several Middlemore Emigration Homes on the street, which seem conspicuous by their proximity.

In 1912, Jessie McKenzie, 27, a poor, unwed mother, lists 11a (119) as the address of her employer.

My question is this: Is this address a known Middlemore Home? Is 11a (119) code for Middlemore Homes but didn't exist in reality?

Any advice is appreciated.

I can't answer your question but 119 St Luke's Road Birmingham exists on the 1925 electoral roll. (Emanuel Harris). I didn't find 11a.
I also found 119 listed in Kelly's directory for 1908 (William Porter) but not in the 1913 one. These are the only ones I can access online. Middlemore are listed, as I expect you know, as 157 to 161.

Janice

Last edited:
Looking at the map, 11 and 11a, if they existed, would be in the middle of St Lukes Church. So it must be 119. This seems to the red building on the c 1915 map below. The electoral roll for 1911 does not seem to enter that number, though 117 & 121 are there, so it must have been empty

map_c_1915_showing_119_St_Lukes_Road.jpg

119 St Luke's Road is listed with no name on the 1911 census summary books. There are several terraces and Places on St Luke's Road and some of them have 11s but no 11a that I can see.

Janice

Presumably it was either empty or no-one responded to repeated calls (if any were made)

Looking at the map, 11 and 11a, if they existed, would be in the middle of St Lukes Church. So it must be 119. This seems to the red building on the c 1915 map below. The electoral roll for 1911 does not seem to enter that number, though 117 & 121 are there, so it must have been empty

map_c_1915_showing_119_St_Lukes_Road.jpg

That's really interesting. Thanks for the map. I received a birth certificate today, that confirms it was 119, as you suspected. (I actually have a birth certificate copy from years ago, back when the GRO used to transcribe copies - which is why the confusion. It was a sloppy transcription.)

You theorize that 119 must have been empty in 1911 because it does not appear on the electoral roll. Surely, it could have appeared empty because it was inhabited by people ineligible to vote, such as women?

It was empty in the 1911 census which, of course, is not just those eligible to vote. It might, as Mike said, just mean there was no one in!!

Janice

Back