• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Middlemore Emigration Homes

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
this true story is a look at the past through the memories of a person who was there Mary thanks to Gwyneth

MARY JANE DARK, NEE GEE - 1870-1956
My grandmother, Mary but often known as Polly, was born on l2th October l870 at back 96 Icknield Square, Birmingham, daughter of William Gee, porter and Jane Fereday. She was the eldest of 5 children - Edward, Myra, Alfred and Harriet. Her father died when she was eight, so her mother had to work as a laundress to make ends meet. Mary had to look after the younger children and take the baby to her mother to be fed every four hours. Alfred, the younger son was crippled and died at a fairly young age.
The older son William Edward (born 1872) was sent to Canada under the Middlemore Emigration Homes scheme in 1885. According to the Middlemore papers the family’s address at this point was 1 back of 195 Ledsam Street and Jane Gee’s – "husband died 6 years ago. 5 children - 2 boys, 3 girls, youngest 6 years, oldest girl 15 years at home to help with sick boy, who has spinal disease and is completely crippled. Mother gets her living by charring - gets 7/6 a week, pays 3/6 rent – 3/- and 3 loaves from parish. Meal about once a week. Boy at present in workhouse".
As with so many other girls of her time, Mary was put into service. At one time she worked for the Ryland family in Marble Arch, London and at another for the Earl of Shrewsbury. There she learned how the well-off live and their habits and etiquette. The only story I remember her telling of this time was how ladies dressed in all their evening finery would often have to pop their breasts back into their low cut necklines.
Mary married David Dark in 1895 and they had three daughters. Myra married and lived in Sparkbrook. Harriet married and settled in America.

Back