• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mick Aston

oh what a shock this is...the world of archaeology has just lost a fine man...

RIP mick and thanks for all the wonderful memories...

So very sad. I loved him on Time Team and loved his local accent and colourful knitware. Condolences to his family. R.I.P. Mick.

Yes indeed, this is sad news. I will remember him not only for his "All Nations" * pullovers but he did share a common interest of mine i.e. ecclesiastical and monastic ancient building history.

I was really shocked to hear about Mick Aston, although he'd not enjoyed good health for a long time. He also quit Time Team when he disagreed with the change in format, describing it as being 'dumbed down', and I can understand what he meant. Mick really did know how to present archaeology to people, especially children, and he always came across as a thoroughly nice bloke. I went to the site of the Matthew Boulton works in Smethwick when Time Team were there.

Actually I think Tony Robinson (sorry, Sir Tony Robinson as he is now) does a good job, and is genuinely interested in archaeology.

G

I was really shocked to hear about Mick Aston, although he'd not enjoyed good health for a long time. He also quit Time Team when he disagreed with the change in format, describing it as being 'dumbed down', and I can understand what he meant. Mick really did know how to present archaeology to people, especially children, and he always came across as a thoroughly nice bloke. I went to the site of the Matthew Boulton works in Smethwick when Time Team were there.

Actually I think Tony Robinson (sorry, Sir Tony Robinson as he is now) does a good job, and is genuinely interested in archaeology.

G
I agree with all the above sentiments G and on occasions you do need a layman to question what experts are telling us.

BernardR

I was sorry to read the news of his death, R.I.P. I never realised he was born in Oldbury and went to University of Birmingham according to Wikipedia.

Terry

Hi all,

I echo everything already said about Mick Aston. He knew his stuff concerning archealogy, and was very often funny too, he also at times put young Robinson in his place as well!!. I believe there is a special this Sunday (14th July) in memory of Mick, not sure what time though. I shall see it .

Hi Mikejee, Yep, your absolutely correct, it is Saturday at 7pm on More4. Nice one I stand corrected. Cheers, cresser.

Back