• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro Progress 2022

It seems like something that happens in California.
This is just the proposed Wednesbury to Brierley Hill extension. And a delay, not cancellation.(At the moment). If I lived in the Black Country still, I'd be sceptical of the merits of any 'Greater Birmingham' moves.

This is just the proposed Wednesbury to Brierley Hill extension. And a delay, not cancellation.(At the moment). If I lived in the Black Country still, I'd be sceptical of the merits of any 'Greater Birmingham' moves.
As I read about these projects, this on the edge financially and HS2 using contingency fund very early on it seems like they will be under funded or under delivered. Regardless where we think the money comes from, it comes from the people. The only money the government (any) has is ours.
My comment earlier in this thread about California, they built a high speed rail line, went way way over budget and never finished it mostly with Federal (government) money. The lines not in use and all the money spent! FYI California is supposed to be the richest state but they are broke!

Apaprently the construction work on the Dudley extension is now complete, though from othe rsources I gather there are cost problems to opening it?
From "New civil engineer"

Main works completed for section of Birmingham metro extension​

23 JAN, 2023 BY THOMAS JOHNSON

The main works for the first phase of the Birmingham tram network extension have been completed, allowing a major road to reopen.
Traffic will return to Castle Hill in Dudley town centre from today (Monday 23 January) following the completion of the work.
The extension of the line from Wednesbury to Brierley Hill will include 14 new stops, boosting connectivity in the Black Country. It is one of a number of extensions to the West Midlands Metro network, which are estimated to cost £1.5bn in total and projected to open in 2023. This extension is the biggest light rail project underway in the UK.
The Midland Metro Alliance (MMA), working on behalf of Transport for West Midlands, has been carrying out work on Castle Hill since early 2019, first to upgrade and divert buried utilities in the area, which was completed in summer 2019. In the spring of 2020, MMA returned to construct track bed, lay tram tracks, and improve the street scene with a refreshed look and feel.
Dudley Council cabinet member for regeneration and enterprise councillor David Stanley said: “The metro will have a massive positive impact on Dudley and it’s fantastic that the works here are almost finished with those using the area being able to use the road in both directions again during day-time hours from Monday and at any time of the day or night in just a few weeks.”
After the road fully reopens there will be temporary overnight lane restrictions for inbound traffic for approximately two weeks to allow the construction team to safely install new street furniture. These restrictions will begin by 7.45pm each evening until approximately 6am the following morning.

The activity has been planned in this way to reduce the impact on those travelling during peak daytime hours and is expected to be completed by Friday 10 February 2023.
MMA project director Tom Maplethorpe added: “It’s great that most of our activity on Castle Hill is completed and, for the majority of road users, our impact on travelling through the area will be minimised from next week. We thank locals for their patience and understanding during the period which we’ve been working in Dudley town centre.”
Further traffic changes will be implemented to the bus lane on Kings Street and a section of Birmingham Street, between Hall Street and Fisher Street, which will close in line with the completed design of the metro scheme from Monday 13 February.
This will allow for the removal of traffic islands, the upgrade and diversion of utilities and the installation of new kerb lines, ahead of track being laid later in the year.
When the route opens to the public in late 2024, an additional nine stops will be added to the West Midlands Metro network linking people in Dudley town centre to both Birmingham and Wolverhampton.

Just for information, I see that the Metro isn't running between the library and Edgbaston village due to work on pedestrian crossings on Broad Street. The barriers are up again across the street, but they are aiming to have the service up and running by next week, in time for fresher's week. There is no service between The Royal and Wolverhampton, either due to "driver training".

Presumably the wolverhampton news means that the training is because finally the tram will reach the rail station. The tracks have been down for some time and nothing happens (like much in birmingham some years ago)

The Wolverhampton trams terminate at the Royal which has been done for driver and conductor training on the extension to the Railway Station. I have yet to see a tram on that section for training purposes but the training has been said to be for three weeks, and I believe that this is the third week. Those that get off at the Royal have a walk to the nearest bus stop.

The section from the Library to Edgbaston is also suspended through engineering work, what ever that is!

Back