• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Edit. This thread is to record the development and progress of the Metro. For general, day-to-day comments about the Metro there is a thread here:
———————————————————————————————

The state of Victoria Square on New Year's Day, 1st January 2020.

Tram tracks curves to the left from Pinfold Street, passing Victoria Square towards Town Hall Tram Stop on Paradise Street. This was the view from the top of New Street.

I would expect the workers of the Midland Metro Alliance will get back to doing the next extension on Broad Street by next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Near Morrisons on the Hagley Road in Edgbaston. The line will leave the underpass. Looks like it will go onto the pavement from what I can see from Morrisons. Bus stops removed. And will go as far as 54 Hagley Road.

Expect the Midlands Metro Alliance people to be back on site from Monday onwards. Was no one on Hagley Road or Broad Street.

Last edited:
Will this extension mean no other traffic along Broad Street or through the Five Ways tunnels? Already buses and other vehicles are barred from Bull Street, Corporation Street, Stephenson Street, Pinfold Street and Paradise Street leaving much of the shopping area inaccessible for those who do not live along the Metro line of route, without changing vehicles on the way.

The next tram extension starts here. Near the Symphony Hall foyer refurbishment.

I know the Five Ways underpass is closed until sometime in 2021. Parts of Broad Street might be the same until next year.

i would just like to thank ell brown for keeping us up to date about the metro lines and the ongoing new developments going on in the city centre...also letting us know about diversions and dead ends etc...the info must be very useful for those that need to go into town...thanks ell

lyn

Checked the timetable and waited for the tram yesterday in Stephenson Street and got on with several other people to go up Pinfold Streeet. It was on time but the conductor announced that tram was terminating there and returning to Wolverhampton! Am I missing something? Apart from a tram that is.

Perhaps it was a tram which had not yet been fitted with batteries as these cannot operate beyond Stephenson Street. Or perhaps there was a fault and the driver could not lower the pantograph.

No problem. Centenary Square was more open than it was. Its just all the bits of Broad Street closed off for the works. No buses on Broad Street apart from near Five Ways.

I think it was the fact that the conductor could have announced the problem before everyone got on and sat down. It isn't made clear that some trams don't do the extra part of the journey. It's irritating and not a good advert.

Queen Victoria statue and Town Hall Tram Stop seen from the Council House. View towards Victoria Square.

Patches are being dug up including next to the Town Hall. And the corner of New Street near Pinfold Street.

Expect the Iron:Man to be installed somewhere to the right in future.

A new decade and with it the trams run to the Library, however direct access from stop to Library, is presently denied whilst the wheel and ice rink are dismantled. So there a slight detour marked by signage.

The Secretary of State has made the Transport and Works Act Order enabling the Digbeth scheme to proceed. The extension will leave the current network between Bull Street and Corporation Street at a new delta junction, proceeding via stops at Albert Street, New Canal Street and Meriden Street to High Street Deritend in Digbeth. The New Canal Street stop would serve the proposed HS2 station at Curzon Street, with the extension planned to be open prior to the commencement of high-speed services.

You can walk around near the temporary Symphony Hall path. Or near the Hall of Memory. Photos coming later in the Centenary Square thread. Also one path on Broad Street past Symphony Hall is closed.

The Secretary of State has made the Transport and Works Act Order enabling the Digbeth scheme to proceed. The extension will leave the current network between Bull Street and Corporation Street at a new delta junction, proceeding via stops at Albert Street, New Canal Street and Meriden Street to High Street Deritend in Digbeth. The New Canal Street stop would serve the proposed HS2 station at Curzon Street, with the extension planned to be open prior to the commencement of high-speed services.

Handy for the bus station too, Heartland. I find the walk back from Digbeth a bit of a drag - OK going down. Have we got a date for work to commence yet?

Nothing yet, but the extension to Harborne needs to be finished as does the line to Wolverhampton.

Then there is the branch to Merry Hill- there is a lot of construction work building up !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back