• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro progress 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are trying to pretend that Edgbaston has a centre. It doesn't have one so now they are calling the area bounded by Hagley Road, Calthorpe Road and Highfield Road, Edgbaston Village so that people in years to come will thing that is the centre of Edgbaston. I think that is why the Metro extension along Broad Street is advertised as going to Edgbaston when in reality it is going to Five Ways/Hagley Road.

I was grateful for my short tram ride on Friday afternoon. I had tickets for the CLIC Sargent concert and hadn't been feeling too good. I think a walk up Pinfold Street may have defeated me! I did however walk back down.

I think they are trying to pretend that Edgbaston has a centre. It doesn't have one so now they are calling the area bounded by Hagley Road, Calthorpe Road and Highfield Road, Edgbaston Village so that people in years to come will thing that is the centre of Edgbaston. I think that is why the Metro extension along Broad Street is advertised as going to Edgbaston when in reality it is going to Five Ways/Hagley Road.
A classic example how commercial interests distort historical matters.

A classic example how commercial interests distort historical matters.
Edgbaston means "village of a man called Ecgbald", from the Old English personal name + tun "farm". The personal name Ecgbald means "bold sword" (literally "bold edge"). The name was recorded as a village known as Celboldistane in the Hundred of Coleshill in the 1086 Domesday Book......…….Found in Wikipedia 16/12/2019

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It's fascinating how it was such a small place like Birmingham that grew to absorb the surrounding areas as opposed to one of the larger places such as Aston, Erdington or Yardley.

It's fascinating how it was such a small place like Birmingham that grew to absorb the surrounding areas as opposed to one of the larger places such as Aston, Erdington or Yardley.
We don't think of rivers in relation to Birmingham unlike other cities but I think it was the fact that Birmingham had the river crossing of the Rea that caused Birmingham to be the centre, You will notice that all the main roads form two fans north and south of the river crossing at Digbeth just below the Bull Ring. In 1166 Peter de Bermingham obtained a royal charter to hold a market 'at his castle at Birmingham' but there are claims that a market existed before then.

Viv please merge this thread into this thread (then delete this post) thanks.

Last weekend of the Birmingham FCM in Victoria Square. Now with an open tram line.

Steps to Town Hall Tram Stop from Paradise Street.

Given that two mobility scooters (subject to Metro specs and staff) can be carried on the trams I was surprised to see steps to the tram stop. However there may be another access point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back