• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro progress 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked as far as I could on Paradise Street. Keep missing the trams up here recently. People were sitting on the benches at Birmingham Town Hall Tram Stop.

"Tram Only" but cars keep getting onto Paradise Street and Pinfold Street.

Towards Paradise Circus Queensway.

I saw cars on here for the first time in a couple of years.

Latham House - couldn't go any further this way.

Looking back at the tram stop and BFCM.

Tramway signs near the Town Hall.

New view towards Chamberlain Square.

Went up Swallow Street and the road is closed at Suffolk Street Queensway.

Walking routes from Stephenson Street to Centenary Square.

Assuming that the service doesn't start for another few weeks. Walk of Pinfold Street and head up Victoria Square past the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market. Go up Chamberlain Square and walk along Centenary Way entering Centenary Square. Birmingham Library Tram Stop is not open but trams are going there now.

Alternatively, head down Navigation Street and under the overpass at Suffolk Street Queensway. Walk towards Arena Central / Alpha Tower. Signs saying not open for pedestrians to Broad Street but it is. Walk up towards the steps near HSBC UK, then pass the Municipal Bank. You will walk past the new tram stop, but fences on both sides. Cross a bit down Broad Street just after Centenary Square near Symphony Hall.

Or get the bus to Cambridge Street instead.

Cent Sq walk.jpg

The area around the Black Sabbath Bridge on Broad Street.

Route map.

Black Sabbath Selfie wall. Replaces the bench that went into storage.

At the end of November 2019, it looked like they were going to reopen the southbound lanes of Paradise Circus Queensway.

It now appears that they have as I've seen cars heading around towards Suffolk Street Queensway.

Note that the northbound lanes are still closed to traffic.

The disappearing thread, is a puzzle.

Yet it was announced that the Trams have started to run to Centenary Square, on Wednesday 11th December. For some days now the trams have run empty, of passengers, with conductor and the driver to Centenary Square.

For those wanting to visit the Ice Rink, the Library, the Rep and the ICC, the metro option can only be a benefit.

Yet trams cannot run to Wolverhampton as wires were brought down- such is nature!

Heartland, is it just near to Wolverhapton that there's a problem. I want to use the tram on Saturday to go to the Jewellery Qtr. Are they still running at all?

The trams on BBC Midlands News had Wednesdury Parkway on their destination boards. Worth checking on the website.

The trams were running from Birmingham to Wednesbury Parkway this evening. I was on the train into Birmingham this evening so I got off at Jewellery Quarter and got the tram to Library for Centenary Square as they are calling the stop. In the dark I was not sure if they were just using one track for part of the journey between Town Hall and Library but they were using both platforms alternately at Library.

I had a tram ride on the newly opened extension today. Grand Central to Library. Later Library to Jewellery Quarter. St Paul's to Bull Street.

Views from the tram.

Stephenson Street - Ethel Street

Pinfold Street - Mail Boxes Etc.

Victoria Square - Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market.

Victoria Square - Hill Street

I travelled on it on thursday. Was coming back from Wolverhampton, but carried on to the library and then came back to Bull St for the experience. The public were not all aware that the extension was open. It must have been about a dozen people got on at Stephenson St expecting to go out the other way, but got an extended trip via the library.

When I got off at Library, noticed a lot of passengers didn't get off, even though it was the new terminus.

When I rode it on Wednesday, I was the only passenger who did not get off at Grand Central. One lady did get on wanting to go in the Wolverhampton direction but a few were advised by the conductress (am I still allowed to use that term?) to cross the road to the other side although she did say that they could get on and come back.

What on Earth is "Edgbaston Village"? Broad Street is in Ladywood - Edgbaston starts at Five Ways (or did - have they moved it?)

Probably referring to a development around Harborne Road to Calthorpe Road with houses being turned into bars and restaurants. Which you can walk to from the Hagley Road.

That's probably not the final name.

This sign at Grand Central needs updating.

Some more tram photos at Library Tram Stop that I didn't post in the other thread.

36 Rudolph

25 OLA. Taxi passing on the left.

23 Comet

Library Tram Stop from the Library of Birmingham on Saturday.

Discovery Terrace view

Secret Garden view

Cross over tracks

Full view to Arena Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back