• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro progress 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that the service to Centenary Square might start next week. At present the trams are leaving Stephenson Street empty and all appear to run to Centenary Square to run back empty.

In recent months whilst the extension along Pinfold Street was being made there was a barrier across the road where trams stopped and only ran back to Wolverhampton from the station side. Now they have reverted to running along the length of Stephenson Street and consequently those people who rush across the road to the station should be more careful. Yet there are always those who think the trams should stop for them and have to run faster to get out of the way when they do not!

I did go up Pinfold Street to the Town Hall today. Saw no trams. Later went to Centenary Square. Didn't see a tram. Only saw them at Grand Central Tram Stop.

The platform near The Burlington Hotel has been reopened. The temporary barrier is gone.

Tram 20 seen arriving at midday at the platform near New Street Station.

I later saw loads of passengers waiting for a tram on the opposite platform, as tram 19 came in. Which I assume was next going to travel up to Centenary Square and back. Maybe inconvenient for commuters during the rush hour.

I plan to use the tram from Grand Central tomorrow evening. At least I know to go back to using the tram stop across the road. I got caught out one evening waiting there at the time that they started reversing at the tram stop by New Street Station

Can't wait for the trams to start - Pinfold Street is a killer! I'm looking forward to riding in style up to the library as the walk up there has definitely deterred me from research lately.

The walk up to the Library has its moments. Whilst many cyclist choose another route there are those who are best described as "rogue cyclists". These are the people on bikes forcing their way through the crowds in the German Market, when the Security is not looking. These are the people who cycle with headphones on oblivious to all in their way as they speed through Victoria Square, Centenary Square and the pedestrian walkway linking them. These same people would cycle at speed when the Reference Library closed through the narrow passage as preparation for demolition began, and through Fletchers Walk when that was the option and now they force their way through the narrows between the Art Gallery and Centenary Square. The signs asking them to dismount are ignored. If a penalty was made for all these selfish peoples actions by Birmingham Corporation a reduction in our rates may well ensue. Sadly nothing is done and no doubt such people will continue what they are doing, despite the danger of injury to pedestrians.

How many stops would you use, as not worth it for 2 stops if walking up is free. You still have to walk through Victoria Square to get to Centenary Square.

More useful if you want to get from Centenary Square to West Bromwich.

Adult off peak is £4.00.

But Ell, isn't it included in the bus pass for those who live in Birmingham?

yes mike i would think that brummies can use their bus passes...also i think that although it may only be a couple of stops it all depends on the level of disability you have...these days if my knees are playing up i have been known to jump the bus for a couple of stops

lyn

But Ell, isn't it included in the bus pass for those who live in Birmingham?

My Swift card for £61 a month is only for National Express West Midlands buses (comes from them). Don't think I can use it on the West Midlands Metro.

With the Metro and bus combined, the monthly cost would be more. On the My Metro app a monthly season ticket is £70 a month!

I rarely go on the tram anyway, mostly use the bus.

As I said my Swift card is for NXWM buses only, don't believe it would work on the tram as I'm not paying for that with NXWM.

OAP cards are fine, other than you have to pay £1 on the bus before 9:30am.

No problem. In the past I've either paid exact change, used my debit card, or the My Metro app (which is easier as you can buy your ticket on that before getting on the tram).

I mostly seem to keep missing seeing the trams on the Centenary Square extension, and don't want to wait around until one turns up.

I can use my Devon issued bus pass on NXWM but not on the tram, Grand Central to Wolverhampton cost £16 for four of us, rest of day used a travel card or out bus pass
Bob

If one person got the train off peak from Birmingham New Street to Wolverhampton with West Midlands Railway, it would cost you £4.40 Off Peak Day Return. So maybe the tram is 40p cheaper off peak.

Two stops on the tram from Grand Central to Centenary Square is only £1 City Hop. This applies even from as far out as the Jewellery Quarter. With a WMCA bus pass after 9.30am it is free. I thought that Swift was usable on the Metro

Trams every 6 minutes. Every 15 on Sunday's and evenings.

The trams without batteries were still stopping and returning to Wolverhampton from the stop nearest New Street Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back