• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Metro progress 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Bob. I doubt that they would have construction photos as postcards, more like if the tram line was complete.

Just noticed that the "like" system is now like Facebook (e.g. choosing "haha").

More of the same from the Library of Birmingham.

Discovery Terrace view: Paradise Street to Broad Street.

Secret Garden views:

From near Baskerville House and the Hall of Memory.

Broad Street - site of Centenary Square Tram Stop.

Was the first tram tests overnight, I wasn't there of course. So the next day at lunchtime got some more photos from Victoria Square down Pinfold Street to Stephenson Street.

New steps around the statue of Queen Victoria. Where will Iron:Man go?

Towards the Town Hall.

Down Pinfold Street past the Post Office (on the right).

Stephenson Street past the Guildhall Building.

Last edited:
The Black Sabbath Bench has been removed to storage from the Black Sabbath Bridge on Broad Street. Probably for the next extension to Five Ways.

Shelters up for Centenary Square Tram Stop. This will be the new terminus from late 2019 to 2021.

Centenary Square update without the tram (photos coming later).

Town Hall Tram Stop

Paradise Circus Queensway back to normal with a roadway and slip roads to Suffolk Street Queensway. Paradise Street is now Tram Only.

Past HSBC UK

Centenary Square Tram Stop

Same views but from the Secret Garden higher up.

Also the next extension along Broad Street for 2021 to Hagley Road.

Elliot
When I see your pictures, I feel ashamed that I keep praising old black and white postcards and photographs, these pictures have life and modernity and whilst your focus in this group is the metro system you are also capturing the development and modernisation of the city. There is surely a book in there somewhere. Keep them coming and I will shut up about the B and W ones
Bob

Elliot
When I see your pictures, I feel ashamed that I keep praising old black and white postcards and photographs, these pictures have life and modernity and whilst your focus in this group is the metro system you are also capturing the development and modernisation of the city. There is surely a book in there somewhere. Keep them coming and I will shut up about the B and W ones
Bob

hi ya bob... i am quite surprised that you feel ashamed about praising the old black and white photos but the thing is colour has not always been around...yes i agree that ells photos show the true colours of today but equally i must stand up for the old black and whites which surely depict the history of yesteryear and without them we would be lost...any road up i shall keep posting my black and whites:):)

lyn

hi ya bob... i am quite surprised that you feel ashamed about praising the old black and white photos but the thing is colour has not always been around...yes i agree that ells photos show the true colours of today but equally i must stand up for the old black and whites which surely depict the history of yesteryear and without them we would be lost...any road up i shall keep posting my black and whites:):)

lyn

Take the recent black and white photos posted for Aston Road North, they are one of the records we have to show just how full of life the road used to be. The present Google colour picture is quite a contrast.

And of course we have some beautiful etchings and paintings from before the photographic era.

It looks to me that they don't build shelters like they used to. Lots of space to display advertisements, but not much protection from the rain, especially when it is windy. The old all-enclosed ones were much better.

Maurice :cool:

lyn
Please do remember they are my favourites really, I did not want Ell to think I did not rate his pictures, look at John Knights above,indictating ancient and modern and rain.

Bob

It looks to me that they don't build shelters like they used to. Lots of space to display advertisements, but not much protection from the rain, especially when it is windy. The old all-enclosed ones were much better.

The problem, as far as I can see, with shelters with ends or enclosed mean you cannot smoke there. You have to go 'outside' and face the elements. I have seen the prohibition signs on bus shelters in my area. As a non smoker it would not affect me besides I rarely travel by bus. It probably doesn't apply where you are Maurice but in pc UK it does.

Smokers at bus stops ignore the No Smoking signs. Sometimes have to move away as they smoke. They still need to build another shelter at Corporation Street near what is now The Gym.

Town Hall might be called Birmingham Town Hall Tram Stop.

Centenary Square might be Birmingham Library Tram Stop.

Alan,

No different here in Crete now. If you're in an area of a taverna which is semi-outdoors, i.e. just a sunscreen in the summer and temporary sides added in the winter, a few smokers think they can get away with smoking there, but if a non-smoker complains to a member of staff, they will stop them as it is enforceable throughout the EU now. As to bus shelters. outside of Aghios Nikolaos Bus Station, there are few and those that do exist offer as much shelter as the one in the photograph!

This photo appears on the West Midlands Metro website
Tram running wrong ro0ad.jpg
I think the photo has been reversed with the tram running on the wrong line at the top of Snow Hill.

Trams will be running to Centenary Square from Sunday 1st December in order to test everything out but will not be carrying passengers beyond Grand Central. This means that the Wolverhampton direction platform will be back in use.

This photo appears on the West Midlands Metro website
View attachment 139675
I think the photo has been reversed with the tram running on the wrong line at the top of Snow Hill.

Flipped probably. That's at Snowhill near One Snowhill and the Living Wall and grass track. From the first City Centre extension (opened in 2015 / 16).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back