• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro Cammell Saltley

Hi Viv,

Yes, this was certainly the Met Club viewed from the sports field.
When I was at Metropolitan Cammell, I kept the accounts for the
club, I also worked for a while behind the bar, and of course, the
kids loved the Christmas parties.

All gone, - but they were happy days.

Kind regards
Dave

I worked at the Metro Cammel Saltley in the finishing shop from 1944 until 1955. I worked with Frank Spink, Eddie Warner and Percy Jones on the setting-out bench
I had a great-granduncle called Percy Jones (b. 1897) whose mother (Jennetta) was a Spink. Don’t know anything about him, maybe a link?

I don't think this clip has been on the forum before, making metro buses
As its bbc, probably wont work for those abroad

Did Ron ever work at Brooke Tool Automation?
Sorry Richard, just saw this. Not that I know of. After two years in the Royal Air Force he eventually worked at Chrysler/Rootes in Coventry as a draftsman. What he did in the 2-4 year gap between the RAF and Rootes, I do not know. My dad passed away a couple of years ago, so I’m afraid I cannot ask him any more questions. Thanks for asking, Richard.

Sorry Richard, just saw this. Not that I know of. After two years in the Royal Air Force he eventually worked at Chrysler/Rootes in Coventry as a draftsman. What he did in the 2-4 year gap between the RAF and Rootes, I do not know. My dad passed away a couple of years ago, so I’m afraid I cannot ask him any more questions. Thanks for asking, Richard.
Thank you..........The Ron Fellows I knew in the late fifties was my supervisor during my Technical Apprenticeship in the unit head assembly department. Very sharp, intuitive and lots of common sense!

When the ‘Met‘ club was sold to Wolverhampton and Dudley Brewery in 1985 I became chairman of what was then called the Beaufort Club. Ron Collis was club secretary. I retired from the position in 1991 after moving to Derby. Happy days .

Hi Dave,
So lovely to hear from you, thank you for fast response, well, the IBM typewriter had a spacing guide, having never used one of these machines before I was totally unaware of the spacing guides existance, and a very spiteful female co-worker had broken the guide off ,so as I would have maximum problems with it. She didn't like the idea of another female in the dep't among all the male colleagues!!! Thankfully she left a short time afterwards, as did another person (male) who made my life hell, he was pushed shall we say!!! At the time Norman Cooper was my boss, he was lovely, do you remember Bill Carpenter in the spares stores, he was a legend, knew every part number off by heart. That darn typewriter was replaced with a computerised system - Thank God. I also remember Harold Jarvis, he made me laugh so much with his tales of working for Gascoigne funerals, great crowd, loved it to bits, was gutted when we all went up the road in 1989, I still have dreams that I'm still working there, I'd
I remember Harold Jarvis from my time at Elmdon works. He was a character. He drove for the funeral directors and used to fill his own car up from the company pumps. One day he was caught pushing his own car into the company yard after miscalculating his fuel consumption.

I remember Harold Jarvis from my time at Elmdon works. He was a character. He drove for the funeral directors and used to fill his own car up from the company pumps. One day he was caught pushing his own car into the company yard after miscalculating his fuel consumption.
Norman Cooper was also a character. He was well known for his ‘Cooperisms’ . I.e. “Has any body seen my projecting pencil” . “What are the men corrugated over there for”. When out to lunch with a supplier he was asked if he would like a serviette he replied “ I could eat a bugger if you can” .

I knew Bill Carpenter very well. We used to walk up the ‘Rock’ at lunchtime for exercise quite often. A real gentleman.

Back