• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro Cammell Saltley

A

aewayne

Edit. One of the businesses that was merged to form Metro Cammell in the 1920s/30s was the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. A thread about this earlier company from 1853 is here:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/midland-railway-carriage-wagon-co.49253/
————————————————————————————————————————————
I have memories of working at Metro-Cammell Saltley. I started my apprentiship as a wood machinist in 1951 anyone else have memories of this great place. I'll sort some photo's out and post them. Wonderful site. Albert Wayne

Thank's for your reply and the extra history i didn't know about. I must sort some photo's out and send them in. As you say it's a crying shame. Still if there was no progress we wouldn't be able to do this
Regards A Wayne :p

Any of you remember Frank Tregenza who worked at Metro-cammell?

WHAT IS THE ECONOMIC FUTURE OF MS AFTER THE VIRGIN JOB?

IS IT TO BE A WORKER COOPERATIVE?

ALSO WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF THE OLD STUFF? IS IT TO BE ARCHIVED AND IF SO BY WHOM?

[just so it don't swanny the canal to e-bay eg]

My father-in-law was Sam Cookson of Cheatham Street who worked at Metro-Cammell. He worked an overhead crane during the war and after - he may have worked there until about 1960.

Hi, does anyone remember a Ronald Fellows during the 1950’s. He served his carpentry apprenticeship at Metro-Cammell, building double-decker bus framing, before being drafted into the RAF in 1956.

Metro Cammel

Does anyone remember my Father in Law..Harry Clucas. He retired from METRO in 1980..
Unfortunatly he died Sunday 30th September.. aged 92.
I loved him dearly.

I looked on the site for an Obituary thread,but could not find one.

Harrys retirement.. anyone recognise them selves?

the met

my dad horace greaves worked at the met,as an overhead crane driver and his brother duggy.
my unkle dug played the drums with a small trio they played at the met club often washwood heath road or did it change the other side of the fox and goose, mite have been i think bradford road? as kids we would go there play on the sports ground run our socks off so to speak.
happy days regards dereklcg.

Re: the met

my dad horace greaves worked at the met,as an overhead crane driver and his brother duggy.
my unkle dug played the drums with a small trio they played at the met club often washwood heath road or did it change the other side of the fox and goose, mite have been i think bradford road? as kids we would go there play on the sports ground run our socks off so to speak.
happy days regards dereklcg.

Yes, The Met Club was in Coleshill Road which carries on from Washwood Heath Road up to the Clock Garage at Castle Bromwich. I worked at the
Met from 1973 to 1985, and kept the books for the club. I also worked
behind the bar there for a while! Do you remember the kids' Christmas
parties at the club? The Club is still there but was bought by Banks' Brewery in the early 1980's and renamed 'The Beaufort Club' after
the cinema (long gone) on the opposite corner from the Fox and Goose.

Dave

Re: the met

Hi Dave yes i remember the parties, we had some great times there and sports days if i remember rightly.
i have a photo somewhere of a works party i,ll find it out and post it,not sure if it,s at the met or pickford/brs or the triumph.
we went to lot,s as used to be had way back when, perhaps we should start a new thread on works parties.. happy days regards Derek.

Re: Metro Cammel

Iza it looks to me like your father in law worked at Metro Cammell Weyman on the buses i regognize Danny Round Colin Pitt in the picture

I worked on the train side from 1976 till 2003

Maurice

Here is a link im on the large photo of the Channel Tunnel picture can any body clock me sorry i cant get the link to work i just found the link on DWILLY post

Mau-reece

Last edited by a moderator:
My father was also a wood machinist at the Met during the fifties, one of his best friends was Dennis Whale who worked in the print shop, he was in the railway part not the buses, he was a member of the social for many years after leaving there and going to work at Jaguar, he also played bowls for the met, his name was arthur Hopkins

Hi Geoff,

I remember Dennis Whale from working at the Met at Washwood
Heath during the 1970's and early 80's, - he was in charge of the
printroom. The print room was above A1 Shop and I used to get
up there sometimes. They did the prints of the drawings up there
using the old Ozalid Dyeline Printers. The smell of the ammonia used
in the process was overpowering.

Kind regards

Dave

Yes, I remember it well. Dennis was my late fathers best friend, they played bowls together and played cards on friday night in the front bar at the club, togwether with a guy called George Franklin who was a boxing promoter of some type. I personally worked for a short time in the Metro Scania Offices I think during 1975-6, the office was situated down on the factory floor. It was the part of the factory that produced the buses from Scania Chassis, I left There to manage The Bars At Pontins Barton Hall Hotel in Torquay.......My how time flies

Hi Geoff,

I remember George Franklin too, a shortish stocky chap, and
I seem to recollect he was mostly smartly dressed in a suit. I
didn't know he was into boxing, - did he work at the Met as well?

Were your offices on the outside of B6 shop, I remember the manager
Albert Jones, - I still have a Scania keyring he gave me. I also
have happy memories of Barbara who worked in the office.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi dave do you remember the free and easy nights at the met club.
My uncle doug played the drums with a trio?
He also worked at the met as my dad did horace,they both drove
overhead cranes..regards dereklcg

Theres a name from the past George Franklin i new George and worked with his son Malcolm,there were some characters working at the Met to many to mention,the best place i ever worked

Mossy

Hi dave do you remember the free and easy nights at the met club.
My uncle doug played the drums with a trio?
He also worked at the met as my dad did horace,they both drove
overhead cranes..regards dereklcg

Hi Derek,

I certainly do, I worked behind the bar at the club for a while while
Frank Fitton was the steward there.

Kind regards

Dave

Back