• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Messrs Rabone Brothers (later Rabone and Petersen Co. Ltd)

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
There may be much to tell about this old Birmingham Merchant Company, which passed to the Dixon family in the mid 1800s. Amongst other investments it allowed George Dixon MP (1820-1898) to be able to follow his pursuit of reform causes.

In the report of the death of Edward Rabone in 1865, at the age of 82, he was said to be the former head of Rabone Bros in Broad St, which was founded by his two uncles almost a century earlier. He had retired around 1852, and was reported to have been a constant supporter of local charities. In 1828 Samuel Rabone, the surviving partner of Rabone Bros, had declined the trade in favour of his nephew Mr. Edward Rabone and the firm continued under the old firm name.

Abraham Dixon, and later his brother of George, moved to Birmingham to work in the firm and by 1844 had become partners. In 1846 there is a notice to say the Business is to be carried on by George and Abraham Dixon and Thomas Lloyd. Thomas Lloyd undertook the foreign travel needed by the commitments of the firm. This included a residence for a couple of years in Australia, and also journeys to Mexico and parts of S. America.

The firm had begun by importing wine from Portugal and Spain, but soon began to export various metal products from Birmingham and the surrounding area. The firm tended to focus on markets in Central and South America, along with the West Indies. The business expanded greatly and around the late 1850s according to George’s daughter “the money came rolling in.”

One of their main trades was the gun trade. It is reported that during the American Civil War Washington requested the firm to purchase every available gun in Birmingham and the district. In 1860 the firm also obtained the management of the patent for the Wilson breech loading rifle.

In his book, Out of Birmingham: George Dixon (1820-98), Father of free education, James Dixon says that in the late 1850s the firm had a large contract to supply for the construction of the Cuban railways, which needed the charter of no less than 47 ships. However as early as 1848 the ship Queen Dowager sailed for Havannah with 45 tons of cast iron from Rabone Bros.

In 1885 Rabone Bros & Co was dissolved by mutual agreement and replaced by a new company Rabone Bros and Co. Abraham Dixon was able to withdraw from the company having been a sleeping partner for many years.

When George Dixon died in 1898, he left a personal estate of nearly £170,000, and it was advertised that Rabone Bros would be carried on by his sons Arthur Stansfield Dixon and James Ernest Dixon in conjunction with Mr JR Meyer.

In 1930 a new company was formed Rabone, Petersen and Co. Ltd, with £200,000 capital to acquire the business formerly carried on by JE Dixon, GHS Dixon, and FJL Hickinbotham, and also TW Petersen and Co of 26/27 Newhall Hill; To carry on the business of merchants, importers, exporters, warehousemen, ship and insurance brokers, strippers and shipowners, etc. Among the Directors was JE Dixon of Eastcote Manor, Hampton in Arden.

By 1970 Rabone and Petersen had joint MDs, RN Dixon, the grandson of George Dixon, and a Mr. Eccles-Williams. In 1977 RN Dixon was to retire after 50 years with the Company at the age of 70. The Birmingham Post said that “through the business he became the Consul in Birmingham for Equator and Venezuela. If that was not good enough tribute to the company's esteem, then turn to the Columbian dictionary and the adjective meaning quality and integrity. The word is rabone."

This ended the Dixon involvement with the Company in which the shareholders were to hand over control to GR Dawes, who were themselves were in voluntary liquidation. The company would pass into the private hands of the three GR Dawes directors

After 1977 Rabone and Peterson Co. fail to get a further mention in the Press, and the same applies to GR Dawnes after December 1979. Looking on a few company search sites Rabone and Petersen Co shows the company dissolved. However on another there is a record of the foreign company being incorporated in 1981 and struck off as of 6 June 2017. The address being 405, Battery Road, Singapore.

The company has been mentioned on the thread concerning George Dixon Grammar School.
David, have you any idea why the company is shown as dissolved, and yet the name seems to continue in Singapore?

From the London Gazette:-
Final Meetings
RABONE PETERSON LIMITED
Notice is hereby given, pursuant to section 106 of the Insolvency Act 1986, that a Final Meeting of the Members of the above-named Company will be held at Cork Gully, Temple Court, 35 Bull Street, Birmingham B4 6JT, on 9th April 1999, at 10 a.m., to be followed by a Final Meeting of the Creditors at 10.30 a.m., for the purposes mentioned in section 106 of the said Act, that is, having an account laid before them by the Liquidator, showing the manner in which the winding-up of the Company has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of, and of hearing any explanation that may be given by the Liquidator. D. R. Wilton, Liquidator 9th March 1999.

Pedro,

I should imagine the Singapore outfit made the Official Receiver an offer that he thought best benefitted the creditors. Cork Gully should be able to tell you.

Maurice

There were about 7 other companies under the main RPC - e.g. Rabone Petersen Merchants; Rabone Petersen Shippers; Radmore. I believe that the shipping part continued for some time after some of the staff bought it. RPC took big financial losses in South Africa.

Last edited:
There were about 7 other companies under the main RPC - e.g. Rabone Petersen Merchants; Rabone Petersen Shippers; Radmore. I believe that the shipping part continued for some time after some of the staff bought it. RPC took big financial losses in South Africa.
It was Italy that finally brought the company down. This would have been early 1982 I believe. By that time the business with South Africa was fairly limited.
Some arrangement was made whereby Rabone Petersen Merchants carried on for a few years from premises in Cradley Heath but that business closed some years later by which time most of the original staff involved had left.
Rabo Merchants was also formed at about the same time (early 1982) by other Rabone staff members and operated from offices in Moseley (I think it was). That company eventually merged with Cronex to become Cronex Rabo operating from the Cronex offices in Moreton in Marsh. By that time I believe that all of the original ex Rabone employees has left. Cronex Rabo was subsequently taken over by Thomas Dudley who are located in Tipton.

It was Italy that finally brought the company down. This would have been early 1982 I believe. By that time the business with South Africa was fairly limited.
Some arrangement was made whereby Rabone Petersen Merchants carried on for a few years from premises in Cradley Heath but that business closed some years later by which time most of the original staff involved had left.
Rabo Merchants was also formed at about the same time (early 1982) by other Rabone staff members and operated from offices in Moseley (I think it was). That company eventually merged with Cronex to become Cronex Rabo operating from the Cronex offices in Moreton in Marsh. By that time I believe that all of the original ex Rabone employees has left. Cronex Rabo was subsequently taken over by Thomas Dudley who are located in Tipton.
At the I was made redundant from Rabones I also working for Mr Rose who was a Director at G R Dawes. I left and joined a container business where another ex employee of Rabones worked. I was later approached by Harold Dawes' secretary to go back and work for them in their Registrar Office which I did for about 3 months, but I didnt like it and walked out (so did the other 2 newbies who started the same day). One of our day trips from Rabones. 1634137982337.png

At the I was made redundant from Rabones I also working for Mr Rose who was a Director at G R Dawes. I left and joined a container business where another ex employee of Rabones worked. I was later approached by Harold Dawes' secretary to go back and work for them in their Registrar Office which I did for about 3 months, but I didnt like it and walked out (so did the other 2 newbies who started the same day). One of our day trips from Rabones. View attachment 162452
I didn't go on that outing. I can't remember why. not. Probably going through an antisocial phase. Nothing much changes. I could name quite a few, though, and am still in touch with a couple of them. There are at least 3 Perry's on there (4 if you count an ex wife). Fred Perry was my first boss. I remember working under Jim Nowell for several months before moving on within the company.
I remember Mr Rose. I thought he was a decent person. I also remember Howard Dawes and his secretary.

I didn't go on that outing. I can't remember why. not. Probably going through an antisocial phase. Nothing much changes. I could name quite a few, though, and am still in touch with a couple of them. There are at least 3 Perry's on there (4 if you count an ex wife). Fred Perry was my first boss. I remember working under Jim Nowell for several months before moving on within the company.
I remember Mr Rose. I thought he was a decent person. I also remember Howard Dawes and his secretary.
My daughter was bridesmaid to Tony and Sue Apted. I was Fred' secretary - so we must know each other

Back