• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Messaging ‘Conversations’ function

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also surprised to see them but like Mike don't see the point as I would use a "conversation" if I wanted privacy.

Profile posts are not private, it seems to be a way of posting a message for someone's attention but not in a thread.
I had forgotten about them. Just looked and I've only ever posted 4 in answer to someone who posted them to me. The last one I posted was in 2011 and the last one posted to me was in 2016. I think I only read the first 4 and maybe never noticed the others because on the previous version you had to look for them as far as I remember.

The 'What's New' in the new version seems to have replaced 'Recent Posts' in the previous version and profile posts did not show at the bottom of 'Recent Posts'.

I always use 'Conversations' ...

Last edited:
I don't myself ever use profile messages, and do not really see the use of them.
I had never knowingly discovered profile messages, Wonder Mike if you realised that there have been a couple addressed to you asking for assistance. Exploring the new format I discover that I have a "follower" I never realised, I do hope I haven't been a disappointment!

Looking at Profile Posts which I can see, the 3rd one down would have found an answer if 'Bearwood' had been typed in the 'Search Titles Only' box and found the relevant thread. The 5th one I can see has an email address visible to everyone.
I don't use them and until this thread opened I never really looked at them.

Well until this thread was started I never knew of the existence of Profile Posts and I've been a member here sine 2004. Not that I post anything of personal nature on here, and would use email if I needed to do that.

sospiri, like you I'd not heard of them and I have been a member almost 10 years. I merely use 'conversation'. Eric

As stated profile posts are not private messages they have always been on xenforo. Private messages are just that private ,profile messages are open to all and always have been the reason you may not of seen them is nobody had really used them.

In reply to BillBoyd’s original message, Warren has now removed them. So whether you knew you had them or not, they’re gone ! Viv.

There is supposed to be an Instant Messaging link visible when clicking on members names. I don't see it.

Is it now defunct, or am I doing something wrong? Any help appreciated.

Freddy

It is called a "conversation" but you have to have indicated in preferences that you allow conversations. The person you want to message must also have allowed conversations.

Thank you for the response

What I'm hoping do is contact a couple of members by e-mail because the forum does not allow email addresses to be posted. Is this what Instant Messaging does? Or does it only let "conversations" occur in real time?

There is supposed to be an Instant Messaging link visible when clicking on members names. I don't see it.

Is it now defunct, or am I doing something wrong? Any help appreciated.

Freddy
You don't have start conversation set, I've just clicked on you're name and it's not there.

Freddy,

It is all that confounded jargon , the bane of our lives – a "conversation" is just a message, or a string of messages exchanged through the Forum system. The equivalent of an email or text. And not real time. If you want to communicate via email, the best thing to do is to "start a conversation" with the person concerned, send them your email address in that message and ask them to respond by that route.

Chris

could i just jump in here...instant messaging has now been defunct because members did not realise that the messages could be read by all members so therefore was not private and a lot of members were posting their private details ie telephone numbers/email addresses.

conversations ( in box top right of the page) are private messages only seen by the sender and recipient so far safer when exchanging your private details...

make sure that you go into your settings and tick the box that enables you to receive and send these messages..hope this helps

lyn

It is called a "conversation" but you have to have indicated in preferences that you allow conversations. The person you want to message must also have allowed conversations.
Thank you for that info as I had to instant message someone and I couldn't find instant message and I hoped I had done the correct thing by sending a "conversation"

Is it possible to delete PM's (private messages). I have 5 pages of them, some going back years. Eric
Hi Eric,

I've just had a play and it appears in the world of XenForo the word 'Leave' = 'Delete' !!
I ticked a box (selected) on one conversation and a dialogue box appeared at the bottom of the screen.
I ticked 'leave' and thought the conversation would disappear but it did not.
I then opened the conversation and saw an option to 'Leave' it.
I clicked 'Leave' and it wanted to know whether I wanted to receive responses to it in future !
I did not, so clicked leave and it was 'Deleted' or 'Leaved' or 'Left' ...:)
I notice you can select all and presumably be able to 'leave' or 'delete' all of them.

It seems a bit of a roundabout way of doing things and of course Xenforo calls private messages conversations.

Oldmohawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back