• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of the Avro Lancaster

Ref post #43. wrong image shown, A recent Google pic of airport shown in error, deleted and replaced by correct 1950 survey pic. Sorry about that. Eric

Last edited:
Hard to realise I flew in that a/c numerous times in 1949/50/51 in peacetime regalia when it was part of 82 sqdn in Africa on survey duties. 66 years ago, how time flies

The Lanc crew in the photo in Post 23 look absolutely exhausted, as well they might be after probably 8, 10, 12 or even more hours in the air. I wonder if any of those seven brave men survived the War...

G

oldMohawk, thank's, have read numerous articles re 82 sqdn over the years but this one is new to me, I recognise the 1st pic on the left, it is Gubi Hill near Enugu in Northern Nigeria, paid a visit there with the Radar crew on a day off ,they had to climb the 600 foot hill each morning ready for operation by 6.30 AM. This thread really brings back memories to me, I'll be boring other member to death !

Hi Eric,
Anything connected with aircraft will never bore me, and I think many members are interested in your posts about your times flying in Lancasters. I notice in post#332 in the 'tidy up please' thread there is a photo of what looks like a 'Bristol Brigand' at Singapore in 1945.
oldmohawk

12 Lancasters over Nelson's Column in the Victory Parade flypast which took place on the 8th June 1946.
Lancsover Nelson.jpg
A view from one of those Lancs. The weather was somewhat dull.
ViewfromLanc.jpg

Slightly of thread have attached a pic I took of Comet 1 at Eastleigh airport arriving for it's tropical trials in 1950, notice our lads crowding around, this was after all the first commercial jet aircraft, I think the test pilot was Bill Pegg (could be wrong) EricComet 1 Eastleigh 1950.jpg

I was taken to an air display at RAF Defford in about 1948 - probably the annual B of B show. The one thing I remember from that sunny day was the appearance of a Lancaster which displayed at low level over the airfield. The first pass was memorable for the throaty roar of the Merlins. But the second was in comparison almost silent except for an unearthly whine/whistle. For this machine was fitted with not the usual four Merlins, but with two inner Merlins and some sort of jet engine, possibly Nenes, for the outers. The pilot had shut down the piston engines and was flying his display on the jet engines alone. They seemed to be working pretty well and the aircraft gave us all a memorable demonstration.

Difficult to realise now just how unfamiliar the whine of a jet engine was to us all in those days - restricted to the odd Meteor and perhaps a Vampire if you were lucky.

Chris

Chris, Ref my post #69, we all turned out the day the Comet returned to the UK to see them off and the sound of the 4 Jet engines sounded so strange after hearing nothing but Merlins. Still preferred the Merlins though, with over 2000 hours on Lancasters it was music to my ears, but you can't stop progress and it was a beautiful looking a/c (the Comet 1), unfortunately it came to an untimely end, Eric

After WW2 there were many spare Lancasters available and some were used for testing jet engines. If the new jet engines failed the reliable Merlin engines could get the Lanc back to base.
RCAF Lanc with outboard jet engines.
JetLancrcaf.jpg

Lanc testing a jet engine mounted in the tail. This aircraft has been fitted with radial piston engines.
LancTBMetrovick2.jpg

Remember seeing a model of a Lancaster on Road Show ,very impressive as it was a one off, very detailed and quite large.
I don't think they were able to give a valuation as it was a one off and would depend o n several factors.
Anyone know anymore as I'm sort of on the sidelines regarding aviation.
Cheers Tim.

Here is a short video of a model Lancaster flying. I don't think Eric would approve of the landing !

oldMohawk, think I have seen that flying model before on a You Tube video clip, but a different venue, I was impressed by its accurate detail and the sound was great too. I have been in a few 'hairy' landings, one causing a puncture and the tire on fire, but no harm done. The survey flights were 10 hours + so the pilot's would have been a bit tired on landing. Eric

Lancaster bombers nearing completion in Avro's assembly plant at Woodford near Manchester, 1943
lancasterswoodford1943.jpg
from IWM

Gee you forget how big some of the factories were. Also how noisy they were until you became accustomed to them.

Unfortunately, due to improving technology, both the Flight Engineer and Wireless Operator became obsolete during my service (1948-56). Eric

Back