• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

memories of Northfield

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stories & memories of Northfield. Not sure of date, but it would be around 1971. From the Sunday Mercury I think, because of the trademark girl showing her legs , which was compulsory in pictures accompanying any article in that journal around then.
Mike

northfield_1A.jpg

northfield_2.jpg

I have many happy memories of Northfield, in my young days the swimming baths,cinema, army cadets and saturday job at wrensons, bought my 1st new bike there, had my 1st serious girlfriend "Gill Bates", barnsdale cresent. as a small child would cycle or walk to " the beeches"
Aye happy days!!!!!

Mike - very interesting and enjoyable account but I think there is more than one tall tale in there mixed up with some interesting detail. Does remind me of some of the conversations I used to have with my Grandad though. Terry Egan certainly spices it up (does it for me anyway) but maybe I'm just unreconstructed.

Further memories of life in Northfield in the first half of the 20th century from Carl chinns Old Brum no 2

Northfield in early part 20th centuryA.jpg

Back