• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memories of horses you learned to ride on.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Does anyone remember Foxhills Riding school in the sixties and seventies and the names of the horses they used to ride. Any photo's please. GGJ. Jean.

I use to go riding there Sunday mornings in I think 1964-65..
I started off in the small field to the left of the gate and then was allowed out on to Barr Beacon - Happy days.

Di sorry only just caught up with this thread and am so sorry about your daughters horse. The photo is not on there though. Prince my uncles pony was around that age when he died. Garry we drove past there today. It has once more become a riding stable. After George died his wife just had liveries there. Will pop in next time we pass by. Jean.

Jean I used to go with my friend Jane Laughton to a stables on the Queslet road about 1966/67 it was on the left just before the Chester Road. There is a pub there now. The horses were kept in a field across the road. I can't remember the name of the stables. Her mother Linda Laughton has a hairdressers on Witton Road called Linda Jane.

My Aunts and Uncles used to go to a stables near Hollywood, can't remember exactly where. They took me once as a little boy and as I was dismounting I went a**e over tip and sprained my wrist on the cobbled yard. Never went again!
Here's a pic of my Uncle Ern and Aunty Sal but I think this was in Dunster, Somerset, where they went on holiday.

Attachments

• Ern Sal Horse Riding.jpg
    Ern Sal Horse Riding.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 12
I went there a few times David and we were called the Cally Gang at the time but the name of the place has gone out of my head. Wendy horses are still kept there and I have taken a few photo's for Dave Baths mom Beatie as she used to feed them some years ago. Oh I know where you are on about know Wendy not the one I first thought?.

First went riding at Hilltop which then closed when the owner Rhona moved. Afterwards went to Barr Beacon run by George and Nan. Remember riding Paladin and also finding Calypso dead in the field one day. My mum used to ride Fella. This was early 60s. Also remember mad chestnut called Chinzano Bianco who bolted over the hill with me.

Hi Reggie I wonder if the chinzano Bianco was the chestnut I was going to buy from George Bull. I will post a photo on here if I can find it. Did Rhona move to the back of the Beacon?.
35764_403033423610_7229774_n.jpg
This is the one. Jean.

Hi GG Jean - could well be the same horse would have been around 1966. Rhona from Hilltop at Sandwell moved out of Bimingham somewhere, can't remember exactly where now = memory not what it was. Remember Mum and I went out to the new stables to visit and came home with a mad black lab puppy = Dad was furious!! Also remember taking a kitten home from George & Nans at Barr Beacon, George was going to drown it. Got into trouble for that too!!

I am sure it is the same horse as the reason I decided not to buy was that I married in January of that year and decided to keep Misty until I found a good home for her. I found Bianco a fantastic ride and never understood why he was called by that name?. A grey yes but not a chestnut.

First and last time I rode a horse was when on holiday with my Mother and Sister in Rhyl. We visited some attraction that had a fenced in indoor ring where you rode around, when I got on the horse the man in charge slapped the horses backside which made the blooming thing gallop off around the circuit with me hanging on for dear life, never again.

Not much call for riding lessons in Ladywood when I was a kid!
I should have had a word with the milkman!

Hey Bill I worked a paper round, Saturday job at Woollies and filled cream cakes two nights a week to pay for my lessons. It was in the blood as my late granddad owned horses but he did live in Cubbington village and had a milk round. My uncle Fred had two horses too and I used to ride them when I had a minute to spare.

The first horse I ever rode was whilst I was a serving member of the RAF. Wednesday afternoons were always regarded as time off and some form of sport or outdoor activity was deemed to be 'the order of the day'. This was in 1955 when I was stationed near Weston-super-Mare.

The colour of the horse was chestnut brown but as for the animals name I had no idea. The horse owner hadn't got that far with his instructions. I think there were about eight or ten of us, of all ranks. We left the stables and the horses, obviously well accustomed to the route, skidded and trotted down to the beach. My horse decided to join the group of regulars and started galloping westwards, occasionally jumping over the rivulets that were drainage from somewhere or another. I held on for grim life but by the time we had reached the southern end of the beach, where the gallop stopped and the horses turned around, I had managed to obtain a reasonable sort of composure: that is suited to be astride a horse. I enjoyed the gallop back. I was sorry when I left that area for pastures new as there were horse riding facilities there.

Back