• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cromwell Street

Hello Pat, I lived in Cromwell street from 1940 until 1953, next door to the Cromwell Arms, which was no.79, can you post the photo, I may know someone, (you never know).

my grandparents lived in Cromwell Street..... about that time. The Chapmans do know if they were known to you

my grandparents lived in Cromwell Street..... about that time. The Chapmans do know if they were known to you
Just joined, found Cromwell St very interesting. I lived there at no 5 from about 1954
Dad was Matthew Mc Dermott, mom was away sick sometimes, we had chimney fire. Nspcc got involved with us for some reason. Over the road was bombed peck.

hi catherine and welcome just noticed you have been a member since 2015 and this is your first post glad to have you onboard....i am sure we have a longer thread for cromwell st...have you found it yet

lyn

there is a cromwell st post have a look

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Both of my maternal grand parents lived in Cromwell Street (Minnie Dayus & Thomas Hughes) around the turn of the century. I wondered if anyone has any pictures of the street at that time. Did those houses survive until the major slum clearances?

Paul
I remember my mom who lived in proctor street born 1916 saying that her friend Kathleen Dayus lived in the same court at cromwell Street as her grandad.

My grandfather was living in Cromwell Street in 1909 William Gardner his first wife died in child birth. They got married in St. Matthews church. On their wedding certificate it didn't say which number they lived at in Cromwell street, I don't know why?

If he was not from the area it may have been an address of convenience, making it easier to get married in the parish as a non resident.

What made you think there was once a workhouse there?. Was it a long list of people at one address on the census, in which case it could have been what we would now call a dosshouse

My family the Edges, Goughs and Hunts lived in Berkeley Road East and my mother (Beryl) and uncle Albert went to the Holy Family School on the Coventry Road, which got bombed out as it was by the BSA. My gran lived at 31 Berkeley Road East and my grandpa at 26, they got married and bought number 24 and my mom got married and bought number 18, so as a young girl I lived so close to my grandparents, great granny and aunt across the road in 31. My uncle has recently died so the family homes have now all gone.
my family were Edges in the area, but theres lot of them about.!

Has anyone any knowledge of sewing factories in this area of Cromwell street where distant relatives, the Seville's once lived, they worked in the factory and lived behind it.The back of 228.

Has anyone any knowledge of sewing factories in this area of Cromwell street where distant relatives, the Seville's once lived, they worked in the factory and lived behind it.The back of 228.
You do not say when this was. The factory would be somewhere around 34 Rupert St

Back