• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Early “Brummagem” edition Memories of Cromwell street article by John Knight

glad you found your article john....a story tinged with a lot of sadness as was the case for a lot of families in those days..i see you were evacuated to pype hayes hall for a few days...recent photos of the hall has recently been posted on the forum...i really hope its saved and returned to its former glory

lyn

More Cromwell street memories, including the only known photo of the Cromwell Arms with our house next door.

Attachments

• DSCN2236 resized..JPG
    DSCN2236 resized..JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
Here's an article I wrote back in 2004.
Glad I found your article John Knight about Cromwell Street, as my family history research shows that both my maternal and paternal parents & ancestors live in Cromwell Street. Jennings & Clarke. Is the pub you mention in Cromwell Street where the 'Buffaloes' were based as I have a photo of my Grandad, George Clarke with a large group of other men dressed in sashes and shields from that era I think. Regards Pat Jennings.

Hello Pat, I lived in Cromwell street from 1940 until 1953, next door to the Cromwell Arms, which was no.79, can you post the photo, I may know someone, (you never know).

Back