• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of Cromwell street.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
glad you found your article john....a story tinged with a lot of sadness as was the case for a lot of families in those days..i see you were evacuated to pype hayes hall for a few days...recent photos of the hall has recently been posted on the forum...i really hope its saved and returned to its former glory

lyn

Pat Sattar-Jennings

master brummie
Here's an article I wrote back in 2004.
Glad I found your article John Knight about Cromwell Street, as my family history research shows that both my maternal and paternal parents & ancestors live in Cromwell Street. Jennings & Clarke. Is the pub you mention in Cromwell Street where the 'Buffaloes' were based as I have a photo of my Grandad, George Clarke with a large group of other men dressed in sashes and shields from that era I think. Regards Pat Jennings.

john knight

signman
Hello Pat, I lived in Cromwell street from 1940 until 1953, next door to the Cromwell Arms, which was no.79, can you post the photo, I may know someone, (you never know).

Pat Sattar-Jennings

master brummie
Hello Pat, I lived in Cromwell street from 1940 until 1953, next door to the Cromwell Arms, which was no.79, can you post the photo, I may know someone, (you never know).
5 George Clarke member of.jpg5 George Clarke member of.jpg5 George Clarke member of.jpg7 George Clarke.jpg5 George Clarke member of.jpg5 George Clarke member of.jpg5 George Clarke member of.jpg5 George Clarke member of.jpg7 George Clarke.jpg8 George Clarke.jpg8 George Clarke.jpg
4 George & Maud Clarke nee Jones.jpg12 E Jones grt grt nan.png20 unknown.jpgUnknow relative 11.jpg21 Dorothy&UncleTed Clarke 1927.jpg

Attachments

Pat Sattar-Jennings

master brummie
Hello John. Just tried to upload photos, for the first time on here, hope they're okay, got a bit carried away, but they all relate to Clarke - Jones family (my nan & granddad) & some of their kids born in Cherrywood Road. The photo with the group about to have a wheelbarrow race is My Aunt Lil & her husband John/Jack & I only remember they son Brian & daughter Elaine, who lived in Cherry wood Rd in the 50s. Us Jennings family lived in Palace Road 1949- 1966 and other members of mom's family lived in and around the area, perhaps you might recognise one of them, like you said and hope you can give me information about any of them or the places. I will send this for now and see if I can work out how to take off the duplicate photos oooppsss.... Cheers Pat

susiemoon

proper brummie kid
my grandparents lived in Cromwell Street..... about that time. The Chapmans do know if they were known to you

my grandparents lived in Cromwell Street..... about that time. The Chapmans do know if they were known to you
Just joined, found Cromwell St very interesting. I lived there at no 5 from about 1954
Dad was Matthew Mc Dermott, mom was away sick sometimes, we had chimney fire. Nspcc got involved with us for some reason. Over the road was bombed peck.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi catherine and welcome just noticed you have been a member since 2015 and this is your first post glad to have you onboard....i am sure we have a longer thread for cromwell st...have you found it yet

lyn

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
there is a cromwell st post have a look

Last edited: