• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Talk about that one. Reg Hudman and I where in New York. Two young English so called muscians. We where lost and asked a black man walking down the street. " How do we get to Carnegie Hall" He replied " PRATICE MAN PRATICE! Drum roll please Eddie . Well I thought it was funny! John Crump Parker. Colorado USA

Good story, John, and you got the drum roll!!

Eddie

Eddie,

Philly Joe Jones was also Bill Evans' favourite drummer, although they didn't play together that often. Sadly they were also druggie partners, but that's another story too. My middle son, Calvin, said that when he was in New York he felt safer in Harlem than in many other districts. Once you're accepted, working with black bands is never a problem, quite the reverse and you can have some great times. Just a slightly different ball game as the Yanks say! And you did have a good time!

Maurice

Inches and feet are still alive and kicking (no pun intended) in the drum world.

Wherever I travelled in the world, I never had problems in discussing drum, or cymbal sizes.

Internationally, drum sizes are still sold by defining the diameter of the drum shell in inches. All drum heads are still sold by the diameter in inches, as indeed are cymbals, even though they are sometimes also marked in centimetres.

Young drummers, brought up on centimetres & metres, will still ask for a 12" drum, a 22" bass drum head, or a pair of 14" hi hat cymbals. Of course, it may eventually change, but in the world of drums, it is taking a long time!!

I cannot even imagine buying a 35 cm LP record, and vinyl still sells well. I cannot see that changing either.

Eddie

Eddie,

Some things will never change - we won't let them - and imperial sizes still dominate in the countries that largely dominate the jazz and rock world anyway. The worry is that conventional drum kits are being very slowly being replaced by electronic kits and samples, as are pianos (especially Fender Rhodes) being replaced by the multi-instrumental keyboards like Kronos and Nord. The latter stay in tune, always have a good action, and are easy to transport - so says an ex keyboard player who got fed up of playing out-of-tune and knackered pianos and switched to electonic pianos and Hammond organs. Now very few people transport conventional Hammonds around as the sample-based versions like the SK2, Key B and Crumar Mojo sound just as good and still an old muso can cart them about!

I know, the Alesis and other kits don't feel the same, though the sound is quite good. They call it progress!

Maurice

Hi Eddie. I was reading an article in the Independent today about Elisabeth Moss who plays Peggy Olson in the TV series Mad Men. Apparently she is the daughter of Birmingham born Ron Moss who was a trombone-playing jazz musician. He left for LA in 1974 and became a manager to jazz-star Kyle Eastwood (son of Clint). Wondered if you had come across Ron Moss? Dave

Hi Eddie. I was reading an article in the Independent today about Elisabeth Moss who plays Peggy Olson in the TV series Mad Men. Apparently she is the daughter of Birmingham born Ron Moss who was a trombone-playing jazz musician. He left for LA in 1974 and became a manager to jazz-star Kyle Eastwood (son of Clint). Wondered if you had come across Ron Moss? Dave

Dave:

Such an interesting piece of information. I have to be honest and say that I do not remember Ron Moss. I left 'Brum' in the late fifties, so Ron would have been a little later. It would be interesting to know which local musicians he played with.

Perhaps someone on the BHF website may have some information. There must be those who remember Ron, or his family, and there must be a strong possibility that Ron, and/or his daughter, still make visits to Birmingham.

The nice thing is that, even in the States, Ron stayed in the business, and his daughter became a TV star. Clint Eastwood is a great jazz fan, and not a bad jazz pianist, as some of his films show, and it is not surprising that his son, Kyle, is also in the jazz world.

Thanks Dave, and sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Eddie

In the summer of 1978, I was on my third tour of Australia, and, arriving in Sydney, checked into the hotel to find that Status Quo were also staying there. John Coughlan, the drummer, and his wife Gillian, were already great friends, and I called their suite to talk with John.
He came to see me, and said that I must go to their evening concert in Sydney, as a special guest.

Having just arrived, after a long haul flight, I was pretty tired, but agreed to go to the concert. The band was so loud, but in spite of that, I fell asleep! I did wake up before the end, and everyone, band, friends, roadies, groupies, went back to the hotel for drinks, smokes, sex....you name it.

Happily married, and not smoking pot, I had a few drinks, joined in the fun, then left for my bed, absolutely shattered..

During my next tour, there was almost a repeat performance, but this time it was the Joe Jackson Band, with Larry Tolfree on drums. Again, Larry was well known to me, since we had met a few times. The difference on this tour was bizarre, as when I found myself in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, so I found the Joe Jackson Band. It was almost as if we had used the same agent for the tour.

Needless to say Status Quo & The Joe Jackson Band went down great on their 'down under' tours. The fans loved both of them.

Eddie

Eddie,

Never been south of the equator, but have had many invites over the years - just didn't fancy such a long journey. Having said that, I'm a great fan of Brazilian music and would just have loved the opportunity to spend a few weeks there. Although there is such a lot going on with that stuff, it always seems so relaxed.

Maurice

Eddie, You are a rare breed for a musician, happily married & a non pot smoker. Whatever next!!

Eddie,

Never been south of the equator, but have had many invites over the years - just didn't fancy such a long journey. Having said that, I'm a great fan of Brazilian music and would just have loved the opportunity to spend a few weeks there. Although there is such a lot going on with that stuff, it always seems so relaxed.

Maurice

Maurice, South of the Equator, reminds me of a South of the Border story.

On one of my stays in the USA, a friend ran a Latin American distribution company. He took me on a visit to the Mexican border, where he wanted to buy maraccas, reso reso's, cabasa's etcetera. All hand held, and shaken, L/A instruments.

We 'holed up' in a small hotel near El Paso. I had asked him when will we cross into Mexico? His response "We do not, we wait here, the word will get out that I am buying, and they will come to me". Jim spoke Spanish.

Sure enough, after two or three days, a large number of Mexicans started to turn up, with their goods, all hand made, but good quality, true L/A type instruments. After a lot of talking & haggling, Jim did his deals, buying very cheaply, and we left.

A couple of weeks later, all the goods he had bought, arrived at his warehouse. "That is way to do a good deal" was Jim's response.

Eddie

Eddie, You are a rare breed for a musician, happily married & a non pot smoker. Whatever next!!

Smoking never appealed to me Smudger, although many of the musicians I have met, have either tried it, or got hooked on it. I have had opportunities to do so, but was always afraid of what it could/would lead to.

I think that I have already mentioned that my drum teacher was a heroin addict. Sadly I have seen good friends die through drugs. Never, ever touch them has always been my motto.

Eddie

Eddie,

Nice story and not entirely dissimilar to the way trade is sometimes done here. Following pressure from the EU troika, there are signs in most of the shops (including in English) saying that there is no liability to pay if you don't get a receipt. We all know (and this is not exclusive to Greece) that if you don't demand a receipt, you will get a substantial discount and the transaction doesn't go through the books and hence there will be no liability for VAT! But this is not intended to be a political rant, so I'd better not take this any further!

Maurice

Hi Eddie,

John and Gillie Coghlan are good friends of mine and he is still playing with his band John Coghlans Quo.

He has done a European tour for the last 2 years, back with Status Quo including Alan Lancaster the original bass player.

To me that is the best ever Status Quo lineup, it would be great if they did another tour sometime.

Hi Eddie,

John and Gillie Coghlan are good friends of mine and he is still playing with his band John Coghlans Quo.
He has done a European tour for the last 2 years, back with Status Quo including Alan Lancaster the original bass player.
To me that is the best ever Status Quo lineup, it would be great if they did another tour sometime.

Bill,
I met up with John & Gillie when John was in Norfolk with John Coughlan's Quo, but I also spoke with Gillian, by phone, when the old Quo band got together.

Give them my best regards if you speak to them.

Eddie

Pot and dugs, booze, brods etc. When we arrived in California USA in 1957 we gigged with many bands. Amazing the amount of the latter, everywhere, very tempting to say the least, Reg went to listen to a band in a bar in LA Ca. where given, in our drinks, who know what, but we both ended up drunk or stoned? in the alley, back of the bar. Money of course gone, staggered back to our apartment, miles away. I think that and the fact I had NEVER even smoked a fag, showed me that I would not be cut out for this. (EDDIE you are amazing that you keep the straight line, married etc.) I got another taste of this when Ginger Baker lived not far from us in Parker, Colorado USA. He was always stoned on who knows what. How he lived that long is surprising. couldnt even talk to him. John Crump

Billy Cobham 001.jpgMy very first meeting with the great Billy Cobham. It was in L.A around 1977. The meeting was fairly brief. We chatted about the drum business in the States, and Europe.

Later we met up in London, where we had a whole day together. Another meeting was in Koblenz, Germany, at a jazz festival, where Billy & Louis Bellson had us all in stitches with stories of their life in the business.

I last saw Billy around 4 years ago when he came to Norwich, (with Joseph Josephs). Before the show we met up in his dressing room, and chatted about 'old times'. A lovely man who would spend hours talking to both young up and coming drummers, or silly old men like me.

Eddie

So glad you posted this as I argued with a musician/ ex colleague and friend that not everybody in the business apart from the singing nun smokes nicotene or waccy baccy or drinks heavily, like they do, some of you don't.

John & Eddie,

Somehow I managed to miss postings #316 & #317. John, I think what kept me on the straight and narrow was an iffy stomach that didn't like gassy beer and I suffered dreadfully from migraines, generally on a Saturday morning, and it actually turned out to be due to an allergy to milk. For 5 years I was working in a 5-piece band where the drummer, the bass player and the vocalist were all playing away from home. The bandleader was forever lecturing them that "be sure your sins will find you out" and they certainly did!

That's a lovely story about Billy Cobham, Eddie, and I've got several of his albums on this machine.

Maurice

In 1977, I was getting bored with the 'run of the mill' type of drum clinics, and so I decided to try something different.

I had been booked into Glasgow for a drum clinic. For the uninitiated, Scotland is the home of great drumming. I decided to take a 16 year old boy, a drum prodigy, for the clinic. Everyone thought that I was mad. I was taking a lamb into the lions den.

I drove him, and his mother to Glasgow, and unbeknown to me, there was also a Big Band appearing on the show, led by one of Scotland's best big band drummers, George McGowen.

The hall was packed. George and his band played the first half of the show, with a long drum solo from George. This 16 year old lad had to follow, and he started the second half. Young & very nervous, he had never done anything like this in his life. I had talked to him beforehand, giving him advice, and how play the show, and the audience. He did his set, which was great.

For the Finale, the Big band came back on again, but George McGowen, asked the young man to play the set with the band.
He was incredible. from a cold start, never saw the band before, never met them, he played wonderfully. His rhythms, music reading, phrasing with the band, soloing, and powerhouse drumming had the whole band, and the audience, standing, clapping and cheering him.

I knew what I was doing, and he had not let me down.

His name is Graham Ward. Prior to this clinic, he had been the club drummer in the film BUGSY MALONE. He went on to work with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, Tom Jones, Paul McCartney, Jimmy Page, Roger Daltrey, Ray Charles, The Bee Gees, Ben E. King, Johnny Mathis, Andrew Lloyd Webber (Graham played the drums at the opening of CATS), Royal Variety Shows, and many more big names.

He now lives in Cape Town, runs his own studios, still plays drums, and is heavily in demand.

I am very proud of Graham, and we are in touch.

Graham Ward 001.jpgA photograph of Graham, taken at that memorable event.

Eddie.

Back