• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

I do know that Eddie daughter had all his stories and that he was going to turn them into a book I will let all you now if this happens John Crump

I always try to find the good bit when hit with these sad bits of news. Guess in this instance it is that Eddie seems to have lived a very full and active life and was well thought of by his peers and we his fellow members. R.I.P. Eddie.

I am a year older than Eddie. BUT I have nowhere near to the stories to tell. Eddie was one of the greats, he had done so much and his memory was so clear.

I am so very saddened to hear of Eddie's death and this explains why my last email to him went unanswered. Due to various health and other problems of my own, I somehow managed to miss the announcement of his death and I've also been away at the other end of Crete since 25th May, returning after a long drive back today. R.I.P. Eddie.

Maurice

Hi all,

Two things caused me to open this now rather quiet thread - John Crump's (oldbrit) reminder of how much he misses Eddie since his sad and sudden death earlier in the year, and finding some interesting videos about Sabian Cymbals, the Canadian company of which Eddie was Vice-President for a number of years from 1982. Sadly Bob Zildjian, the President of Sabian and colleague and old friend of Eddie's, had already passed away in 2013 as Eddie mentioned in an earlier post, but the Sabian company continues to thrive and is one of the top four cymbal manufacturers in the world.

Accordingly, I thought it appropriate to add links to two of the four videos here.

introduced by the late Bob Zildjian, shows the whole manufacturing process and the meticulous trouble they take to get things "just right", and

in which the late Bob explains his business ethics.

RIP Eddie, you're not forgotten.

Maurice

It was in part, thanks to this forum that we met again after all the years. We had some grand times together in the days long gone now Thanks again Maurice

Attachments

• England Sept 2015 040.JPG
    England Sept 2015 040.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 30
John,

That's a lovely picture of you and Eddie. :) :) :)

I quote the following, courtesy of Drum Magazine, in an article about drummer Keith Moon:-

Eddie Haynes was a marketing promotion manager for Premier drums in Leicester, England from 1973 to 1978. During this time, he saw that Moon’s equipment requirements were taken care of and often consulted directly with Moon about his specific needs. Eddie insists that Moon took better care of his drums than his reputation suggests: “People have said that he was a lunatic, and was smashing everything up. And, admittedly, he did kick his drums over – we know that. But I always suspected that it was done knowingly, not spontaneously. He always assessed the situation before he did things like that. Premier very rarely had drums come back from Keith to be repaired. The only things that he needed regularly were stands and foot pedals – he’d go through them like a knife through butter.

“Keith always knew exactly what he wanted,” Haynes continues. “He never demanded any ridiculous sizes. He was very happy to play standard size drums. But what he did always want were drums that looked cosmetically different from what anybody else had. We did a number of kits for Keith over the years, with different types of finishes.

“Once he asked that we make him a white kit with all gold-plated fittings – the lugs, the brackets, the stands, the spurs, everything. I spoke to him about it and said, ’Look Keith, I’d really like to make this kit, but with the gold plated fittings it would be ridiculously expensive.’ And he was great about it, saying, ’Dear boy, do exactly as you feel it should be, but that’s the way I want it.’ We finished the kit, actually, with copper-plated fittings – no chrome or silver showing. That was rather a nice kit.”

Regardless of the cosmetics, all of Moon’s drum sets shared special design characteristics that were exclusive to his setup. Haynes says, “We always had to make sure that the tom-toms had double fittings, the bass drums and hi-hat could be clamped to the floor, and that the bass drums were clamped to each other. We linked the whole kit together.”

The best testimony for the longevity of Moon’s drums had to be the Premier “Pictures Of Lily” drum set, which he played between 1967 and 1969. This intricately designed, one-of-a-kind set featured hand-painted panels depicting nudes and Who logos covering the outer shells. The curious phrase, “Keith Moon. Patent British Exploding Drummer,” also was interspersed throughout the pop at murals. Supposedly, all of the designs lit up under black lights, even though the Who never used black lights in performances. According to Moon, the “Pictures Of Lily” kit took six months to complete, and was assembled by five people. Haynes says that the kit “absolutely blew everybody’s minds. That was Keith’s own idea. He came to us and told us exactly what he wanted – those particular types of designs. It certainly stunned the drum world.”

Maurice :)

I've been digging! Here's Eddie in a 1971/2 Dallas Arbiter instrument catalogue. He would have been about 37 years old then.

Eddie Haynes Hayman.jpg

And for all you big band enthusiasts (and I know Eddie was one), here's this year's Christmas Concert by the Jazz at the Lincoln Centre Orchestra and featured vocalists. I hope you enjoy. :)

Maurice

And for all you big band enthusiasts (and I know Eddie was one), here's this year's Christmas Concert by the Jazz at the Lincoln Centre Orchestra and featured vocalists. I hope you enjoy. :)

Maurice

I was just thinking about Eddie as my grandson wa given a mini drumkit for Christmas. Very basic no skulls and things. One snare drum one cymbal. I wonder what Eddie would have thought,

Hi Nico,

I'm sure Eddie would have smiled and wished him good luck. Well, your grandson's house will no longer be as peaceful as it was (maybe) and you'll have to see it he does take a real interest in music. But how old is he?

Maurice

Maurice

What a wonderful concert, thanks for sharing. As a big band enthusiast and ex-pro drummer and good friend of the legend Eddie, I'm sure he'll be listening and appreciate the talent of this concert.
Andy Jervis

Hi Andy,

Glad you liked it. I passed it on to my own ex-drummer in Bournemouth this afternoon. A lovely polished performance, and I like the fact that everyone gets the chance to do arrangements and even act as MD. Not many places you could get that sort of experience these days.

Hi Nico,

I'm sure Eddie would have smiled and wished him good luck. Well, your grandson's house will no longer be as peaceful as it was (maybe) and you'll have to see it he does take a real interest in music. But how old is he?

Maurice
He was 8 Maurice a few days ago. Acts about 3 often, his sister is 5 and acts about 27
She was strumming the guitar and she made a chord. And she sang to it.
His parents..............bought the kit for one of the dolls, I ask you.......... on ebay but when it came it was bigger.
We have had them all since Dec 28th and they went home today. The silence is deafening.
I think they both might take an interest his parents are musicians. They have bought them both mini piano's dj decks, microphones, shower microphones whatever they are, childs' keyboards, adults keyboards, you name it, mini guitars a ukelele, I tried to tune it from the web. Harmonica's. When the grandson was a baby he chewed our piano keys. I glued the ivory tops and I stuck the keys together so I got the sandpaper out It needs tuning as well. I think if they had proper lessons they would do well. The grandson played the trumpet in A Christmas pageant. 8 notes I think.
Bet you are sorry you asked.

Not at all, Nico, I have 9 grandchildren myself, aged from three to 22, so little more than babies to university students in places as far apart as Bournemouth, Edinburgh, Antwerp, Leeds and Brussels. Those are their bases during term time, but over the Christmas the places have included the Pyrenees and Dundee!

I no longer buy presents for them, just give them (or the younger one's parents) money - far simpler for us living in Crete and just a matter of doing online bank credits. No wrapping involved, no unnecessary charges paid to postal authorities or courier companies! And I know it arrives!

I don't see a lot of them growing up since we have lived out here, but we hope to Skype with three of the younger ones this weekend. It costs nothing and they don't get a chance to make a mess! :) :) :)

Maurice

Thanks, Jim, that was actually the page I had looked at, but no real info on the past history of Maitland Hall.

However, I did look at the index of musicians on that site and the late Andy Hamilton was the only one I knew well, over and above those already mentioned. However, on this page - http://www.birminghammusicarchive.com/the-modernaires/ - of that site there are a couple of photos of OldBrit (John Crump) and a posting in 2015 from Eddie.

When in the car on local N Devon roads I listen to either Radio 4 extra or Radio Devon, once I get outside Devon I go to either Classic FM or Jazz F M, although I find the latter somewhat loose in its identification of jazz, although I forgive it when I get 9 minutes of Art Blakey and Moanin or something similar.
Bob

Not at all, Nico, I have 9 grandchildren myself, aged from three to 22, so little more than babies to university students in places as far apart as Bournemouth, Edinburgh, Antwerp, Leeds and Brussels. Those are their bases during term time, but over the Christmas the places have included the Pyrenees and Dundee!

I no longer buy presents for them, just give them (or the younger one's parents) money - far simpler for us living in Crete and just a matter of doing online bank credits. No wrapping involved, no unnecessary charges paid to postal authorities or courier companies! And I know it arrives!

I don't see a lot of them growing up since we have lived out here, but we hope to Skype with three of the younger ones this weekend. It costs nothing and they don't get a chance to make a mess! :):):)

Maurice
Whatsap is brilliant Maurice

Back