• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Thank you all I was just privey to one of the best threads ever any where, I was a fly on the wall for a history lesson in music in brum, along along with a man that had been there done that and had the pics,. Eddie i will remember you Godspeed

Thank you all I was just privey to one of the best threads ever any where, I was a fly on the wall for a history lesson in music in brum, along along with a man that had been there done that and had the pics,. Eddie i will remember you Godspeed
After almost 60 years and thanks to this Brum History Forum, I got to meet up with Eddie or Ted as I knew him once again in Brum, Great guy such a full life he led, his tales never forgotten,

Hi Maurice,

Great piece of information about the late great Keith Moon, I've seen The Who on many occasions & at many different venues in the UK. Never seen a bad performance & Moonie was I reckon the best rock drummer ever he was exciting, spontaneous as well as brilliant to watch and he's sadly missed. Currently reading Roger Daltreys book "Thanks alot Mr Kibblewhite", it contains quite a few funny anecdotes about Moon the Loon.

Lozellian

Lozellian just reading it myself at the moment , I share your thoughts about Mr Moon although the author of the biography Dear Boy would argue the fact he mentions records etc where beats are missing and he's out of time . Not that I took any notice of that rubbish

Eddie Haynes, that I knew as thumbnail (1).jpgTED Haynes in our band Wonder what happened to the book that he was working on anyone know?

John,

One of his daughters might know, but I have no contact details. He didn't really discuss it with me, so I don't know how far it had progressed.

Maurice :cool:

View attachment 103207View attachment 103208

Two very well known Birmingham music shop dealers.

Shown in the first photograph is, on the right, Johnny Jones, who owned Jones & Crossland music store, situated on Smallbrook Ringway. The man in the centre is the great Jim Marshall, with his wife. Jim, although a drummer, built and owned the world famous Marshall Amplifier Company.

I knew John from the early fifties. In those days he was a semi professional trumpet player, and together with Joe Crossland, they had a musical instrument repair business off Hurst Street. Their speciality was re lacquering and overhauling brass and woodwind instruments. Each week John would do the rounds of the Birmingham music stores, collecting and delivering instruments that had been overhauled, or needed overhauling. Joe was never a really fit man, and he would be smoking, coughing and spluttering as he worked, and I think he died before the music shop was opened. John went on to open his music shop in the sixties, and was very successful. Sadly he died around 1980, and I attended his funeral, together with many other music business personalities.

The second photograph, and short story is abut Charlie Hewitt, Manager at Yardley's, Snow Hill. Going down Snow Hill, from the city centre, Yardley's was on the right hand side. In the fifties the ground floor still retained some of its pawnbroker origins, and the music department, opened later, was on the first floor. When all the shops in Snow Hill were demolished for the inner ring road, Yardley's moved across to the corner of Gt. Charles Street, later to be known as Musical Exchange.

Eddie
Oh, thanks for sharing this what great interest to find out Marshall apps came from Brum. As we have a few sitting at home hard to find space for them due to the size but great to have for my son use. You were so lucky to have known him.

Just heard the announcement of the passing of Peggy Spencer, aged 95.

A most gracious lady. Peggy, and her husband Frank, led the Frank & Peggy Spencer Dance Formation Team. They were the greatest, winning every dance championship, and often appeared on the BBC "Come Dancing" programme. I think it would be fair to say that, without Peggy Spencer, Come Dancing would not have had the success that it enjoyed in the 50,s & 60's. They were always announced as "From Penge, the Frank & Peggy Spencer Dance Formation Team".

I played for Peggy on several occasions, including World Championships, and unlike many on the professional dance circuit, she would always thank the band after a show, even if she lost.

R.I.P. Peggy Spencer

Last edited:
Just wondering if Peggy and Frank Spencer ran ballroom dancing at the Galleon, Hall Green Birmingham in the mid 1950s as my auntie informed me that my mum went there and I am trying to find pictures and information for a powerpoint "this is your life" presentation for my mums 80th birthday in September
The 1955 Kelly's (taken in 1954) says H & G Spencer ran ballroom dancing.

Galleon.jpg

Recently this year I've got back into drumming, and stumbled onto this forum. I'm terribly late, but was fortunate enough to be a student of Eddie. He did drumming lessons at my high school, which only lasted 10 minutes at a time.

He saw potential in me and passion for drumming, so he offered me hour long lessons every Saturday at his home. It was an amazing opportunity and he had endless knowledge to give me.

I just signed up to pay my respects, and show appreciation somewhere. I can't remember when I stopped going, due to family matters I was unable to continue. I think around 2012. But I'm greatful for having him as my teacher for a small number of years.

Recently this year I've got back into drumming, and stumbled onto this forum. I'm terribly late, but was fortunate enough to be a student of Eddie. He did drumming lessons at my high school, which only lasted 10 minutes at a time.

He saw potential in me and passion for drumming, so he offered me hour long lessons every Saturday at his home. It was an amazing opportunity and he had endless knowledge to give me.

I just signed up to pay my respects, and show appreciation somewhere. I can't remember when I stopped going, due to family matters I was unable to continue. I think around 2012. But I'm greatful for having him as my teacher for a small number of years.
Eddie was a good mate of mine and is sorely missed I have his drum instructional CD I am glad we got to meet again after all those years. Photo is a very early photo of Eddie or Ted Haynes as we knew him I have many photos still of I think the first band that he played drums with

Attachments

• 131692186_3847146745319794_6143760440454163918_n.jpg
    131692186_3847146745319794_6143760440454163918_n.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Eddie was a good mate of mine and is sorely missed I have his drum instructional CD I am glad we got to meet again after all those years. Photo is a very early photo of Eddie or Ted Haynes as we knew him I have many photos still of I think the first band that he played drums with
Amazing, thanks for sharing these memories

Tell you what reading some of your posts on here tonight, I have just realised I am a mere youngster at 74. I might go and see the Rolling Stones at Hyde Park this year if I do it will be the 23rd time. The 21st time I did not see much as I had my 14 year old daughter on my shoulders at Maine Road. It’s Only Rock And Roll But I Like It Like It Yes I Do.

Well I did say to a fellow Stones fan, I do not think I would see them as the Stones without Charlie
Maine Road for my 14 year old daughter was a special concert. She said after she did not realise they were so awesome live. I think it was when she was 17 she rang home from work and said dad the Stones are touring again where we going to see them. It was Don Valley Sheffield. She was no longer a New Kids On The Block fan.

Well I did say to a fellow Stones fan, I do not think I would see them as the Stones without Charlie
Wow that's many times @Terence David Lines !
I saw them in Hyde Park in 2013 but before that, only once in 1964 at the Birmingham Hippodrome.
I'm not sure it would be quite the same without Charlie now :(
Well I saw them many times as I had two friends who were in Birmingham groups but had been moved to London by their management and spent most weekends in the smoke. Most times managing to get in free by just carrying a guitar in to these venues. I saw the one friend many years later on the 24 bus going out of town. I asked him what had become on them all in the group. I knew one had gone to Canada that was on the cards in 1963. What I did not know one of them was the singer in Supertramp. I was led to believe in later years that the friend on the 24 bus had died of a drugs overdose which was never confirmed but I never saw him again. I have to say the only band I ever saw who came close and I only saw them as my eldest son was and still is a massive fan were Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Last edited:
Sad about your friend :( was that Frank Farrell? Looks like he was the only Brummie in the band and he died in 1997 (per the Wiki page) and the other members seem to still be alive.
I only saw Supertramp once, at Barbarellas club.

Sad about your friend :( was that Frank Farrell? Looks like he was the only Brummie in the band and he died in 1997 (per the Wiki page) and the other members seem to still be alive.
No he was Colin Bates. Know as Bloggsie Bates. Was in Jugs O Henry. The one I was told died of a drugs overdose. Used to get totally rat a....d in the pub by Hammersmith Bridge. If they had no booking when I visited.

Colin came from Hollybank Road off Haunch Lane. It went up to Wheelers Lane B14.

If you look for The Autobiography Of A Supertramp, you will find a photograph of Jugs O Henry. Colin Bates( Bloggsie) is the one in the middle. John Helliwell was the one who went on to fame in Supertramp.

Thanks I'll have a look!
I remember John Helliwell from when he was the saxophonist with the Alan Bown Set, previous to Supertramp - they were a brilliant live band.

Thanks I'll have a look!
I remember John Helliwell from when he was the saxophonist with the Alan Bown Set, previous to Supertramp - they were a brilliant live band.
You are giving your age away now, saying that I think I am lucky to have made it this far. One of my sons said awhile ago, what do you think you would have done with your life if you had not met mom as he knew I used to work in Jersey. I said son I would probably have ended up dead at 23/24 the life I led.

You are giving your age away now, saying that I think I am lucky to have made it this far. One of my sons said awhile ago, what do you think you would have done with your life if you had not met mom as he knew I used to work in Jersey. I said son I would probably have ended up dead at 23/24 the life I led.
I went to America to get into the Big Band business March 1957 I know now that had achieved that I would have died long ago.

Back