• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memorial to P/O Stanley R. Streeter & St Martins Church

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
A former Moseley Grammar School pupil, Stanley Streeter, was in a Mosquito piloted by Sqn Ldr Ken Sutton, which was returning to base over Brighton when he was mortally wounded by friendly fire. Sutton managed to eject and survived, but Streeter was still in their blazing aircraft when it crashed into a railway embankment between Shoreham & Hove.

The full story is told in Patricia A. Chapman's book "The Colours of the Day", ISBN 1898941246, along with that of several other airmen with Birmingham connections - a damned fine read! Stanley Streeter is buried at Brandwood End Cemetery.

The family had very close connections with the now demolished St Jude's Church and commisioned Birmingham artist Bernard Philip Arnold, RBSA, (1893-1987), to produce a painting of St George bearing Stanley's face, and this was duly hung in St Jude's Church until the church was demolished in August 1971. The painting was later acquired at auction by Ray Northwood, Patricia Chapman's former employer, & has been restored with the intention of it being hung in St Martin's Church. This was the situation when the book was published in 1999.

My question is:- Does any member know if this painting is now displayed at St Martins?

Maurice :cool:

Back