• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memorial Plaques

brummie nick

master brummie
There’s an article in this weeks ‘Black Country Bugle’ on the Great War memorial plaque, it states they were issued to the bereaved relatives, with the idea that they could be inserted into the grave headstone, does anyone (Cromwell) know if this was the case?

Memorial Plaque

Also known as a 'Dead Man's Penny' I do not think their original intention was to have them inserted into gravestones. After the war you could purchase special frames for them to hold a photograph and plaque which could be hung on the wall. However there are cases of when parents died they had these plaques inserted in their headstones and an inscription such as " In memory of their son William who was killed in action on the Somme 1st July 1916" or something similar.

Terry

Last edited:
Sadly to say these are being chipped out of Gravestones and being stolen today as the one's that disappeared from the cemeteries in Stratford upon Avon a few years ago but were found and replaced....

Thanks for the information Terry I found that very interesting.

Cromwell what a sad world when someone interfere's with a gravestone in any way especially to steal! Thank you both.

It certainly is sad to hear about the robberies in cemeteries these days.
Nothing is sacred in this regard anymore. Anything that is worth money is being stolen from cemeteries and family mausolems. In New York many of the rich merchants of decades gone by purchased glass panels designed by Tiffany and these beautiful glass designs are being stolen constantly to be sold as art on the world market. Also, a lot of the statuary is also being stolen for the same reason. It all comes down to money and I have heard that
for the very expensive items that are in these places are targeted
and are sold to "customers" who practically "order" them through unscrupulous
art dealers.

It does say in the article, that people stopped putting them on headstones, because of them being stolen. :|

Sad world init?

gravestones

In response to this particular subject,don't you think that it is time that judges,magistrates etc. started passing down proper sentences so that these brainless morons would think again before they started their mindless destruction of memories of people who were worth more than they could ever hope to be.I am not religious at all but I appreciate that people are and it must be devastating to them that these morons are able to do what they like with almomost complete impunity.

Back