• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memorial found in a skip

Thanks, Carol, there's no excuse for dumping war memorials at all as there is always a military-connected site that can accomodate them. I just wonder why the British Legion did not make proper provision for this before closure.

Maurice :cool:

Unbelivable that an organisation such as the British Legion would do such a thing, and not make some sort of provision for its survival.
Well done to Hannah the estate agent for saving it.

Thanks, Carol, there's no excuse for dumping war memorials at all as there is always a military-connected site that can accomodate them. I just wonder why the British Legion did not make proper provision for this before closure.

Maurice :cool:
I think that part of the reason this escapes most of the preservation orders is that it isn't a "war memorial". It's also odd that a memorial to a particular person should not give his dates. The only date on this one was the month the memorial was commissioned/installed or whatever. We know from other sources that he was involved with the RBL in the 1980s so maybe this was commissioned on his death. It could also be dated from when he paid the RBL a lot of money.
It doesn't look like the RBL still run ex-serviceman's clubs now. They don't list them in Birmingham only the drop-in on New Street. I remember my mother moved to the one in King's Heath after the one in town closed.

Sorry for late reply, still working on this: the Congregational Church at that time, that is the Moseley Road one and its three 'daughter' churches, had a membership of 588 - and it seems now that at least three of the names came from the Ladypool Road church. The other factor is that the church may just have been the 'local' church - many people were not too concerned about the niceties of inter-denominational disputes and may have attended their nearest church - or, for instance, been in the Boys' Brigade or similar.

My great grandfather was a member of Small Heath Congregational, Ladypool, and Moseley churches in years 1890 to 1910, he died in 1923 and had funeral service at Moseley Congregational before being buried in the non conformist plot at Brandwood End. It might be he had disconnection to this thread being a local Moseley man.FEAAE897-1E34-442B-8B9A-3CBD0C25A608.jpeg

does anyone know if the war memorial that was installed on the staircase of this building still there or am i way off the mark with this one

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...-for-friends-institute-in-balsall-heath-69923

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends'_Institute_buildings
Hi
We are a small community hub situated in the house to the left of the main friends Institute building .We are there tuesdays and fridays afterc12pm for a payasufeel healthy lunch ...we are also putting together an archive of the building
.I've just come across your post
Yes ! It's still there and we would have liked to put together a small exhibition around it for this last Sunday remembrance

Back