• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MEM Tyseley

Does anyone remember a maintenance electrician who worked for MEM by the name of David Elanor? l use to go to collage with him and was wondering if he is still around?
Hi there yes i do , have some sad news Dave passed away a good few years ago now , very young

Hi. My mom worked at MEM for a short time in the late 70s. She is now 73 and according to the DWP she has a pension with "Delta" but she cannot find out any information. Can anyone help please?

I do remember it was by Reddings Lane - big factory.
Hi I worked @ MEM Reddings Lane 1972/1982. Firstly the pension scheme was the Delta pension scheme 1974.
I believe Delta Metals have been taken over. My suggestion would be try and find out the company who took Delta over.
MEM Reddings Lane was head office. They had sites in Spring Road , Kings Road Bham, Redditch, Holyhead & Washington, Tyne & Wear.

Or you could try www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details

Before using the service collect as much information as you can, including:
  • the name of your previous employer or pension service (you will need this to get started)
  • any previous names it had
  • the type of business it ran
  • whether it changed address
  • when you belonged to the scheme

Last edited:
Hi. My mom worked at MEM for a short time in the late 70s. She is now 73 and according to the DWP she has a pension with "Delta" but she cannot find out any information. Can anyone help please?

Lisa , Welcome to the forum I think you will find Delta which MEM became part of are now under the Eaton banner . Well it was when I retired in 2013 we used to sell their material day in day out when I was at work , I do hope you sort it out for your mother .

Went passed the site of the old MEM in Reddings Lane today, shocked to find it totally demolished and a new housing estate sprung up. More memories of my past gone, I find it so sad.
equally gutted, seems like all of my past has been destroyed too, MEM, YARDLEY GRAMMAR SCHOOL, AP SPRINGS, BAKELITE FACTORY, pubs, THE GREET, THE BRITANNIA (old and new!) THE SERK there are so many more places that are now just memories, sign of the times I suppose, sign I'm getting old definitely!!

Living in Reddings Lane I have memories of the MEM, LUCAS, and the other factories up our road. As a young lad me and my mate from down the road used to make a guy around the end of October and sit on the pavement most evenings after 5:00pm to catch the workers with our ''Penny for the Guy!'' shouts as they all made their way down our road to the 44 buses on the Warwick Road to get home! I remember one occasion when my Dad asked me and Steven ''What are you doing watching TV?.....Never mind the rain, it's Friday!! You should be out there with your guy!''....He was right! we made a fortune that evening....Friday, pay day! Happy days!

Hello Robert, just a little bit beyond my childhood stomping ground I think, as that would be in Formans Road? my patch was the Warwick road end of Reddings Lane. When Mom took us swimming to Sparkhill Baths we'd have walked back past it on the way home, if we'd missed the 36!

Do you remember Dave Bromhall( sales) & Shelia Barge(switchboard) I still see them on occasions. On the switch board along with Sheila, was Sandra & another lady whose name I cannot remember. She was always dressed well. In the buying office was Jim Cox, who I still see but will not speak too, also Robert Bothwell who now lives in Worthing.
I left in 1982 & believe it or not recently took early retirement. After having jobs as office manager working with Martin Gooding, still see Martin.
Then in the tool trade back with Graham Havard ex buyer MEM.
Then for an airline as buyer / project manager.
Do you remember Sandra's surname on switchboard

Do you remember Sandra's surname on switchboard
No I can't, but have remembered the other person on the switchboard.
Her first name was Silvie I think, lived in Shirley?
When I went for my interview I was greeted by Sue Pemberton who was receptionist.

My Father Raymond William George Worked at the MEM on the Assembly line from the Late 1950's to March 1962 when we Migrated to Sydney Australia where he Started with the MEN in Redfern Sydney.

Hi just found this group as I am also trying to find my old pension, my father and I both worked there in the 80s and 90s, was wondering if you found any information about your pension

I visited the offices of MEM from time to time as part of the audit team from Peat Marwick. About 1968-70. It's a way of life that's long gone now; very deferential and paternalistic. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Back