• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MEM Tyseley

Went passed the site of the old MEM in Reddings Lane today, shocked to find it totally demolished and a new housing estate sprung up. More memories of my past gone, I find it so sad.

Hi Robroy, I have no connection with MEM, but as a kid I remember a Brian Gilks who used to live in Stoney Lane, Sparkbrook. His dad worked on the railways. Same one?

Hi Frank..Thanks for your reply...But wrong Brian.?.We did lived in Main Street Sparkbrook for a while and my Grandfather drove trams and trolley buses. but I dont think its the same person Regards Roy.

Hi does anyone remember Samuel G Messenger. Worked there 1946 to 1956. I am his niece and was just looking at his gold retirement watch and thought I would have a google and found this site. Amazing to read all the postings.

I maybe able to help you. I think the watch you have was Sam's ten year service. The reason I say this I knew a Sam Messenger & I worked in the Purchasing Department 1972-1982. I also believe did he have a brother called Fred.
Both of whom I had a very good working relationship. Indeed,whilst I worked @ MEM I had to go too F.W. Needham to collect all the watches, from Mr Titmus.

Hi Ann, Just going thro forum here and noticed we replied to your posting but never recieved a response - hope you are well and would like to hear
from you if poss, Margaret
Came across you via this site. Remember the VW EOH 742L silver. Steve & I played snooker @ the MEM club. I also remember Dave & Lynn. Yes I am Ian the blond office jnr.

Oldgoose the names of the ladies who pushed the tea trolley has come back to me. They where Trixe & Daisy. The waitress in the black & white uniform was called Mary. She brought round the executives / Managers drinks. By the way she did me a cocoa everyday as I did not drink tea or coffee.
I think the Lady who was manager of the canteen was called Mrs Evans.

Came across you via this site. Remember the VW EOH 742L silver. Steve & I played snooker @ the MEM club. I also remember Dave & Lynn. Yes I am Ian the blond office jnr.
Hi Ian the blond office junior do you remember my dad and my sister Reg and Lesley Grice

Hi does anyone remember my Dad and my Sister Reg and Lesley Grice? Dad worked there up until 1984 when he sadly passed away ages 52. Lesley was there from 1977 until more or less the end about 12 months before it went. I worked in The wages office from 1980 till 1988. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers us

Hi Bev, yes I remember you & Leslie, Reg. First knew your dad working in the stores on inspection, with Fred, Ray Hall, Ted Schilling & Tommy Ball. Your dad then went into the printing department, worked with Bill Jones. As for Leslie she was on one of the assembly lines. Did she ever marry / move away from the area.
So sad to see the old place go, lot's of memories. Indeed of people who are no longer with us.
Sorry too hear about Reg passing away early a very nice person not only too me but everybody.
I have been trying to trace a girl called Karen Dunn, her mother Pat worked in the canteen 70's/80's.
She married John Barlow who worked in the buying office. Sorry to say he passed away a few years ago.
Hope this maybe of help.

Hi Bev, yes I remember you & Leslie, Reg. First knew your dad working in the stores on inspection, with Fred, Ray Hall, Ted Schilling & Tommy Ball. Your dad then went into the printing department, worked with Bill Jones. As for Leslie she was on one of the assembly lines. Did she ever marry / move away from the area.
So sad to see the old place go, lot's of memories. Indeed of people who are no longer with us.
Sorry too hear about Reg passing away early a very nice person not only too me but everybody.
I have been trying to trace a girl called Karen Dunn, her mother Pat worked in the canteen 70's/80's.
She married John Barlow who worked in the buying office. Sorry to say he passed away a few years ago.
Hope this maybe of help.
Hi Ian good to hear from you. Did you work with Doris Cave? Lovely to see some old names cropping up on here isn’t it? I remember Karen but haven’t heard anything about any of those girls. Lesley is still here in fact she is with me as we speak lol she still lives in Brum. Are you on facebook? I mentioned you to her and she remembers you well

Hi Ian good to hear from you. Did you work with Doris Cave? Lovely to see some old names cropping up on here isn’t it? I remember Karen but haven’t heard anything about any of those girls. Lesley is still here in fact she is with me as we speak lol she still lives in Brum. Are you on facebook? I mentioned you to her and she remembers you well
Hi Bev no not on Facebook. Yes I remember Doris Cave very well. A small rather thin lady, but a great laugh. What is Leslie upto nowdays?

Hope this maybe of help.
Hi Ian with the blonde hair funny world and the wonders of technology , that people are able to reconnect with the past , i remember you well and my occasional mars bars i am Lesley Grice

Do you remember Dave Bromhall( sales) & Shelia Barge(switchboard) I still see them on occasions. On the switch board along with Sheila, was Sandra & another lady whose name I cannot remember. She was always dressed well. In the buying office was Jim Cox, who I still see but will not speak too, also Robert Bothwell who now lives in Worthing.
I left in 1982 & believe it or not recently took early retirement. After having jobs as office manager working with Martin Gooding, still see Martin.
Then in the tool trade back with Graham Havard ex buyer MEM.
Then for an airline as buyer / project manager.

Do you remember Dave Bromhall( sales) & Shelia Barge(switchboard) I still see them on occasions. On the switch board along with Sheila, was Sandra & another lady whose name I cannot remember. She was always dressed well. In the buying office was Jim Cox, who I still see but will not speak too, also Robert Bothwell who now lives in Worthing.
I left in 1982 & believe it or not recently took early retirement. After having jobs as office manager working with Martin Gooding, still see Martin.
Then in the tool trade back with Graham Havard ex buyer MEM.
Then for an airline as buyer / project manager.
Hi Lesley the girl with silver nail polish 7 always a smile. Sill got the blond hair, but not so much of.
Did you ever settle down?

Hi Lesley the girl with silver nail polish 7 always a smile. Sill got the blond hair, but not so much of.
Did you ever settle down?
Hi Ian no not married , did you marry ? I was made redundant in 2012 from MEM or Eaton Electric as it turned into , when the American's ripped it all apart and sent it all abroad , i work for a lovely little company now not far from home been there 8 yrs and love it , best thing to happen , only a small family business and about 10 of us , a small little factory unit

Where do you work now. Maybe when all this over have a meet talk about MEM? Yes married 1983.
Cannot believe you stayed that long.
You remember Mary, she lost her husband some years ago. She lives not far from me.
She said she sees you/ contacts you always said remind me to you.
What was it like towards the end, seeing the old place changing owners.
Pictures on the net showing the inside, just before demolishing.

Where do you work now. Maybe when all this over have a meet talk about MEM? Yes married 1983.
Cannot believe you stayed that long.
You remember Mary, she lost her husband some years ago. She lives not far from me.
She said she sees you/ contacts you always said remind me to you.
What was it like towards the end, seeing the old place changing owners.
Pictures on the net showing the inside, just before demolishing.
Hi Ian yes still in touch with Mary birthday cards , christmas cards , she doesn't get out much these days i don't think , you wouldn't have believed the changes there as soon as the Americans came in , there was so many locked in an office plotting with maps of the world , where to send everything , it was terrible the last few years , the only good thing was the same as back then , was the people , the people were the best and will always have great memories , through the people .
I work for a company called Teal Patents and we make portable hand wash units that do not have to be plumbed in , some are portable some plug into mains supply , we supply the NHS amongst others, like schools nurserys , catering , but hospitals is the big one so our orders went through the roof , with this pandemic , i work with 9 men and one other lady who is part time as she 73 , nobody likes to leave lol

I worked in the buying office of MEM in Reddings Lane in the 1970's. It was a well-established company and quite quaint and old fashioned in many ways. Waitresses dressed in black and white would bring tea and coffee round to the managers. The ordinary workers got two ladies from the canteen pushing a trolly with big urns on it. You were only allowed to use the lifts if you had a disability, were a director, or were pregnant . There were attendants in the toilets all the time, constantly making everything clean (even though the building was old).
I loved it there.Does anyone esle remember it?
My Grandmother lived at 11 Medina Road Tyseley (just round the corner from MEM) and used to work there.

Back