• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MEM Tyseley

I remember the name and products of MEM over many years , sold quite a bit of it also working for electrical wholesalers for nearly forty three years . The only bad taste I have with MEM is with takeovers happening over the years the one time great company that was resident at Aston Lane for umpteen years namely BIll Switchgear both companies ended up in the Delta group if memory serves right and then into the Eaton Group. The name Bill Switchgear now in Gt Britain was only available for spares and as I understood it Bill was then totally geared for export, walk past any old style building some years ago and you would see one of their fire switches outside on the wall, walk past any cast or aluminium lampost and it was a Bill street lighting cut out fixed in the base , so one Birmingham company survives while another raps up for this country Bills reps were great men you could speak to , Mem reps to me seemed aloof as though they wanted to hide. This was a memory of MEM and a tribute to Bill Switchgear RIP

Hi......just found this site, l remember playing football on the green beside MEM, we lived at number 237 OBW right opposite the MEM gates, my dad worked there, two of my brothers and eventually I found myself working there, one of my brothers married a girl who worked in the offices, I married a girl who also worked in the office, all in the late 1960s. My dads name was William but was known as Mack he was also the barman in the MEM social club, brothers Terry and Trevor and me Roy Langston

I have many happy memories of the MEM not working there but playing on the green out side the factory. I lived oppisite in Matlock rd. After school we would play football, cricket, hide and seek and tracking, The factory railings came in handy for the ball games, and at the front there were some great places to hide. Plus the fact the very first love of my life lived in the first house past the factory on the Boulevard. It used to have a tall chimney stack with the letters MEM on it wich could be seen for miles.
Hi Robert I was a driver at MEM Jim going to scotland I knew more bingo halls then deliveries and i knew Johnny holden and phil bailey jimmy conway

Hi Robert I was a driver at MEM Jim going to scotland I knew more bingo halls then deliveries and i knew Johnny holden and phil bailey jimmy conway

Might be a long shot , there was a driver senior in years that used to deliver to Walsall Conduits Upper Gough St B,ham in the late 60's , does it ring any bells always, put his glasses on to read the advice notes ?

Might be a long shot , there was a driver senior in years that used to deliver to Walsall Conduits Upper Gough St B,ham in the late 60's , does it ring any bells always, put his glasses on to read the advice notes ?
Hi William abit before my time there started at MEM in 1974

As a young (21) graduate I worked at MEM in Washington in Tyne and Wear in1974 as a trainee Work Study Engineer I was sent to Reddings Lane to learn how the business worked and was there or 6 months. Unfortunately the Washington site closed in 1975 and I went on to work for British Aerospace. It was a great place to work and the company looked after its employees. (It had a good social club which I was in most nights). 45 years later I still have fond memories of my time there. I had a really good friend who worked on the shop floor there called David Curl. Does anyone know of him please ?

Last edited:
My grandmother worked at the MEM for years until her retirement in 1972. Her 'best friend' there was Beattie but that's all I can remember. We lived with my Nan and her second husband, Les, in OBW for 6 months whilst my parents new house was being built. My Mom did some night work at the MEM to help fund the house move.

Attachments

• IMG_3533.JPG
    IMG_3533.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I worked in the buying office 1972-1982. Started as office jnr & left as Assistant Buyer. I remember so, so many names, Graham Havard whom I had a lasting friendship after MEM, till his passing four years ago. Jim Cox, Bob Bothwell, Sue Vincent, Anne, John Leeson, Margret Pratty, Margret Knott, Stan Robins & Richard Carpenter. Glennis, Barbara, June, Irene, Violet many, may more. So sad to see Reddings Lane get bulldozed. Like to hear from anyone who knows me Ian.

Office jnr, I worked at MEM for a short period of time, 1965 till 1967. Joined as an apprentice, but it didn't work out well for me and I left for another apprenticeship elsewhere.
Richard Carpenter was a old school chum of mine. I still see him occasionally for a drink ,he lives in Solihull.
Was the Glennis you speak of working in the factory, I remember a Glennis who would always talk to the young apprentices and make them feel welcome when they had there stint on the assembly line were she worked.

Elmdon Boy thanks for your reply. Well to answer your question her name was Glennis Fountain worked as Graham Havard's secetary. She was married to Lionel Fountain whose Father was Gordon Fountain in charge of the foundry. I believe Lionel & Glennis live in the Solihull area.
Now Richard Carpenter had I believe a green Ford Cortina mk1. One lunchtime we went to the Airport to watch the planes.
He left MEM to work @ Newey & Eyre. Give him my regards

Mbenne, lovely old photographs of a wonderful Art Deco building. Working in the buying office we saw orders placed for work to be carried out on the building. They tried to keep it in as good a condition as they could.
Does anybody remember Albert Wroe yes it is correct, & his mate Mick. They did the window cleaning& also maintained the chimmey, without health& safety. Albert smoked capstan cigarettes like a trooper. I believe he passed away a ripe old age. Smashing bloke, what a character.

Office jnr, I think the Glennis I'm thinking about was a different person to the Glennis you describe. The one I remember worked in the factory and lived in Acocks Green somewhere near Shirley Rd.
Yes Richard had a green Mk1 Cortina. He worked at the Spring Rd factory.

Hi all I've just stumbled across this thread while wandering down memory lane,I did my first 12 months of my apprenticeship at the delta training centre on the same site,I've fond memories of a good bunch a lads and queuing for a hot pie in the off licence over the road.that was 1990 and I still have the mem grey toolbox I made and had painted in mems paintshop

Back