• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MEM Tyseley

Hi old mother goose, I worked at MEM from 1979 and left in 1986 - I took a 5 year apprenticeship there and then moved over to the Kings Road factory before leaving to join Wandsworth Electrical where I am now MD. I worked in every shopfloor and office department during my apprenticeship - that's how they did it back then! I could mention some names, but some famous links were the sister of Nigel Mansell who worked in the wages department at Reddings Lane and the mother of Ray and Earl Falconer (UB40) - Evelyn, worked on the shopfloor at Kings Road. Someone mentioned earlier that her great grandfather founded JH Tucker who MEM bought out in the 60's - my company was also founded by some ex JH Tucker employee's as was Crabtree Electrical - small world!! Still a lot of ex MEM apprentices still in the industry, would love to hear from some of them and anyone who knew anyone who worked for Wandsworth Electrical pre 1950's.

Hi ann
just a short question ;and i know it could be a coincidence ;
but did you or a relative by the name of ann kenedy ever live in peel street winson green in and before the 1960;s
as i knew a ann kenedy very well she lived with a auntie whom her aunt was ann kennedndy as well;
i hope you do not mind me asking the question ;
my best mate deigo worked on the maintenance team there in redin lane mem ;
best wishes astonian

My wifes brother in law Roy Bidell worked at MEM for years, he retired in about 1995, he is now nearley 81 and is still in good health. Does anyone remember him?
Clive

Hi - no doubt you and I would have known many of the same friends/colleagues.

Last edited:
Right here goes, an attempt to re-load the photo from #23 of my nan and herwork pal from the MEM
displayimage.php

Hi Ann How nice to hear from you, sorry for delay in responding but had given up hope of hearing from anyone in our dept so only checked the website on the off chance, please
pass on my best wishes to irene and sue and any off the others you may see.
You will remember graham havard, jim cox, bob, margaret knot and prob my closest friend june barns, if you have any sort of contact with them please let me know.
Yes i do remember the hat and i am still married to stephen (40 years) we retired some
17/18 years back and moved to spain on the costa blanca and are still living the dream.

Hi,I too have many happy memories of playing outside M.E.M.I lived on the Boulevard from 1949 until 1967,when I got married.I particularly remember during the M.E.M annual holiday shutdown when,frequently, the water main would explode and the resultant chaos would make a fantastic playground.Although dangerous it was great fun until my mother would arrive and clip my ear and send me home.
Frog.

Hi Frog
I lived just round the corner from you in Tynedale road my husband stephen is same age as you and lived in Reddings lane, both of us went to
Yarnfield road school then in my case to accocks green then Hallgreen whereas steve went to Formans road, Question is do we know you? who
is the frog?

QUOTE=frog;531666]Hi,I too have many happy memories of playing outside M.E.M.I lived on the Boulevard from 1949 until 1967,when I got married.I particularly remember during the M.E.M annual holiday shutdown when,frequently, the water main would explode and the resultant chaos would make a fantastic playground.Although dangerous it was great fun until my mother would arrive and clip my ear and send me home.
Frog.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ann, Just going thro forum here and noticed we replied to your posting but never recieved a response - hope you are well and would like to hear
from you if poss, Margaret

Hi Ann, Just going thro forum here and noticed we replied to your posting but never recieved a response - hope you are well and would like to hear
from you if poss, Margaret

Hi,my name is Graham French,we moved to the Boulevard when I was 4.
I went to Yarnfield and to Formans road which I left in 1960.I married Jenny Timms from Reddings Lane in 1967 and we moved to Cole Vally Road Hall Green.
What are your names,it sounds like we must know each other.

Frog

Does anyone remember a maintenance electrician who worked for MEM by the name of David Elanor? l use to go to collage with him and was wondering if he is still around?

I worked in the buying office of MEM in Reddings Lane in the 1970's. It was a well-established company and quite quaint and old fashioned in many ways. Waitresses dressed in black and white would bring tea and coffee round to the managers. The ordinary workers got two ladies from the canteen pushing a trolly with big urns on it. You were only allowed to use the lifts if you had a disability, were a director, or were pregnant . There were attendants in the toilets all the time, constantly making everything clean (even though the building was old).
I loved it there.Does anyone esle remember it?
Happy days, I worked in the Transport Dept (see photo of my 'steed') and later, when I got married and Wifey didn't like my week away, became Mr Barber's chauffeur. Much admired a lass in (I think) accounts named Beverley - so much so we named our first child after her.

Attachments

• 62 - MEM.jpg
    62 - MEM.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 62 - MEM (2).jpg
    62 - MEM (2).jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 44
From a historical point of view, MEM took over the Rudge Whitworth factory. Interesting factory MEM they made their own porcelain for the switch gear boxes and had large presses to make these boxes.

My sister in law, sadly not with us any longer, worked in the canteen at MEM she was a very nice Scottish Lady, Edith Gould.

Worked in buying office 1966-75 under graham havard,he had 2 assistants jim and bob,other staff june barns,margaret knot,violet evans,and young ian from solihull,as
previusly stated was a good company to work for although a little old fashioned,my
husband lived in reddings lane and played on the playingfield adjacent the mem,well
remembers the chimney stack etc,left mem and worked for a few years at brightside
ltd which was a holiday camp compared to the mem,happy days,now live in sunny spain............. margaret prattey (nee kenny)
I worked in the Buying Office in the late 50's until 1965... Graham Havard sat behind me! I worked for the Buyer Mr Dixon, happy memories.My father worked from the late 1930's a young man until he retired.

Back